• Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

May 4, 2009
Tasmania
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Furth
Let's hope this final is better than the current one!!!

Day Session - From 3 pm

Women's Doubles Final

• Kichenok/Ostapenko [11] vs. Hsieh/Mertens [2]
Night Session From 7:30 pm

• Sinner [4] 🇮🇹 vs. [3] Medvedev

Jannik Sinner

4066.jpg

• DOB: 16/8/01 @ San Candido, Italy
  • Career Achievements: Wimbledon Semi-Finalist 2023, Canadian Open 2023, Davis Cup 2023, 10 career titles
Last year: He brought in super-coach Darren Cahill and new coach Vagnozzi during the 2022 season to join his team. Since then, Sinner has been ticking off boxes on his road to greatness. Last year, he ticked off making a semi-final at a major, winning his first Masters title in Canada, and beating Novak twice at the end of the year. His level in the semi-final match vs. Novak at Wimbledon was disappointing, but it was a massive achievement to reach that stage after so many 5-set losses at slams in recent years. By year's end, he would rise to his highest rank of 4 and make the final of the end-of-year champs before another straight-set loss to Novak in that final. He would be the key part of the Italian team that would defeat Australia in the final of the Davis Cup.

This year/Tournament: Quite simply, outstanding. He played at Kooyong, so had no real match preparation. To get through the early rounds easily and without drama proved that this was a good move. By the 4th round, he was match-ready, and he dispatched the dangerous Khachanov and fatigued Rublev. He was the first person to defeat Novak in Melbourne since 2018. He victimized the Serb in the first 2 sets and then held his nerves in the last 2 to finish the job and make his first major final. The best win in his young but very accomplished career

• First Round: De Zandschulp 6-4, 7-5, 6-3
  • Second Round: De Jong 6-2, 6-2, 6-2
  • Third Round: Baez 6-0, 6-1, 6-3
  • Fourth Round: Khachanov 6-4, 7-5, 6-3
  • Quarter Final: Rublev 6-4, 7-6, 6-3
  • Semi-Final: Djokovic 6-1, 6-2, 6-7, 6-3
Daniil Medvedev

Daniil-Medvedev.jpg

• DOB: 11/02/96 @ Moscow, Russia
  • Career Achievements: US Open 2021, ATP Finals 2020, 2 x Runner Up Australian Open, Former world number 1, 20 Career titles
Last year: Medvedev started the year outside the top 4, a somewhat unusual rank for him in recent years. He turned that around during the Sunshine Double. A drop-shot heavy semi-final loss at Indian Wells was followed by defeating Sinner in the final at Miami. Danill is not the greatest on clay or grass, which meant his winning on the clay in Rome and making the semis at Wimbledon were huge surprises. Making the US final was also a surprise, not least because he defeated Carlos in the semi. Alas, he didn't get close to Novak in the final.

This year/Tournament:
Been a bit scratchy. Had no match prep before arriving in Melbourne. He has only won one match in straight sets, and that was against his bunny FAA in the 3rd round. His 2nd round match, which ended at 3:40 am, has taken a lot out of him. He also battled in the heat against Hurkacz, where at times he looked dead on his feet. He again came back from 2 sets down to beat Zverev in the semi. Overall, he has needed 5 sets, 3 times this tournament, including the last 2 matches, and 2 matches from 2 sets to love down. Even he must be tired.
  • First Round: Atmane 5-7, 6-2, 6-4, 1-0 R/H
  • Second Round: Ruusuvuori 3-6, 6-7, 6-4, 7-6, 6-0
  • Third Round: Auger Aliassime 6-3, 6-4, 6-3
  • Fourth Round: Borges 6-3, 7-64, 5-7, 6-1
  • Quarter Final: Hurkacz 7-6, 2-6, 6-3, 5-7, 6-4
  • Semi: Zverev 5-7, 3-6, 7-6, 7-6, 6-3
Head to Head:
6-3 to Medvedev. But Sinner has won the last 3. In the last 5 matches, all last year, 4 have happened in a final. The only other was a semi of the ATP Masters Cup last year. Every match has been on a hard court and Bo3 Sets.

Prediction: I have always felt Sinner needed a loss in a final in a slam before he can get a win. But I assumed that would happen against Novak or Carlos (ala as the underdog). Facing a fatigued Medvedev, whom he has beaten in the past three matches, plus coming off a career-best win, was not something I had considered. Sinner is the deserved favourite. I am sure Darren Cahill will be making sure that doesn't torpedo any chances here. But this is very new territory, and it would only be natural for him to be very nervous. I expect a tough couple of sets before Sinner relaxes, and Medvedev's legs finally give way.

Score Prediction: Sinner in 4. 7-6, 4-6, 6-3, 6-1

Last edited:

Thank you Bobbi for all the hard work you have done over the last two weeks, absolutely fantastic.
Who do I want to win perhaps Medvedev but Sinner has Aussie Darren Cahill and has won the past three matches against Medvedev. I would love a thrilling five setter and he winner made to work for it.

Don’t mind who wins tonight- expecting a high quality game from these two skinny guys! Sinner - likeable with an attractive game. I enjoy medvedev’s slight villainy and he plays beaut tennis. And it’s great to have a new champion- so good all round for me tonight. Yeehaa.
Thanks to Bobbi.

Hoping Sinner gets up for his first grand slam but think Medvedev will end up being a bit too strong. Going with Medvedev in four.

Congrats to Sabalenka in claiming back to back AO titles. She played way better this year than last. Can she do it again next year, I don't see why not?
With the loser, I don't see why they don't go up to their player's box to commiserate and get a hug or go to the toilet to compose themselves. No way would I just sit there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crowd about 80-20 in favour of Sinner clearly. Good luck Daniil!

Nothing new for him, he always seems to be the villain rather than the crowd favourite and he seems to like it that way.

Really strong start from Daniil - winning the long rallies which is a great sign for him against a Sinner-type who is a very good grinder from the baseline

Medvedev looks a lot more solid early for sure, gets the break

Back