Darren Pfeiffer (Past Player)

Remove this Banner Ad

Darren had 6 disposals to 3qtr time with 0% disposal efficiency
he was terrible
WOG along with Westy and Butch we were also garbage

Im not going to hang my hat on one decent quarter of footy.
He still has a way to go to convince me he isnt delist material

Those are glory worthy stats ;)

His last quarter was the complete reverse though, good on him for the improvement!

Those are glory worthy stats ;)

His last quarter was the complete reverse though, good on him for the improvement!

Which is exactly the sentiment of those who have been critical of him. :thumbsu:

I mean LOL @ those stats, really.

Let's reserve the 'nah nah boo boo, stick your head in doo-doo' posting for when it's really warranted.

Which is exactly the sentiment of those who have been critical of him. :thumbsu:

I mean LOL @ those stats, really.

Let's reserve the 'nah nah boo boo, stick your head in doo-doo' posting for when it's really warranted.

:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu: I'm sure you along with me hope he has a blinder on Saturday to prove us doubters wrong.

Considering his mature body and experience he should play a solid game at the minimum against the gold coast.

Those stats pretty much sum up why I was closet o breaking my hand on a piece of AAMI stadium, do we have any stats on goals from turnovers for individual players?

6 disposals at 0%?

But nah yeah seriously it's time we dropped Travis Boak until he starts performing. Darren "One, where's the pfeiff, two, gimme the pfeiff" Pfeiffer and Big Matty T will continue to do the job for us no worries.

6 disposals at 0% efficiency says different.

I can't believe he took an OOF free kick and kicked it straight back out on the full. You don't see that every day.

Tackles, 1 %ers, DE being a garbage stat.... he was worse than I thought I'll be honest, though I don't consider a lack of disposal a lack of impact.

Still doesn't take away from the fact that he was close to BOG in the quarter that mattered tho. So I could question the relevance.

The relevance is that he's getting far too much praise when he was one of several players guilty of doing absolutely nothing to stop us from being 32 points down in the first place.

A better side would have absolutely hammered us. We'd have been further down and even with a spirited last quarter, a comeback wouldn't have been on the cards.

If we accept 1 quarter of footy as a pass mark, we're setting ourselves up for loss after loss after loss.

If you want to look at it that way, that's your prerogative.

I'll take the ****ing win, and I'll praise the bastard who got us over the line like a messiah, even if his match winning goal was his only touch for the day.

Yes, but if you pat them all on the back after playing one good quarter every few games, just enough to keep their place in the side, the team wont get any better in the long run.

Should be saying "great work there mate, now keep that standard up consistently." And holding them to that standard.

I think most people are just hoping that his last quarter was the key moment in him realising how he needs to play to make it at AFL level.

If he plays like crap again this week then it will probably be his last chance.

If you want to look at it that way, that's your prerogative.

I'll take the ****ing win, and I'll praise the bastard who got us over the line like a messiah, even if his match winning goal was his only touch for the day.
:thumbsu: love it...

come on michelle back it up this week

(Log in to remove this ad.)

:thumbsu: love it...

come on michelle back it up this week
shouldn't you be off some where bagging boak, instead of praising spuds?

for what its worth i agree one good quarter out of that many quarters he has already played is laughable, for people to be bagging boak for his <30 possession games, yet praising a bloke for doing very minimal is pushing the bounds of mediocrity and insanity.

the roasting of a player like rodan, and i have roasted him also is shameful whilst toasting this bloke for 15 minutes of excellence.

I have been far from a Pfeiffer fan, previous to last week, but his performance certainly stoked my interest.

I didn't think he ONLY played well in the last quarter (when he had a blinder), I was pretty sure he did some good things in the first, so I put a clip together.

Not everything he did came off, but his intensity was great and he was always under pressure when disposing.

For someone only elevated off the rookie list this year, I thought it was a great game. I'll be watching him more closely now.

[youtube]9VJHGtUhd2E[/youtube]

All that clip shows is that the effort is there but the skills are s**t.

I don't think anyone has questioned Pfeiffer's effort, but I'd like to think we should be past the point where you can get a game in the side on effort alone. Unfortunately Cassisi, Thomas and Pfeiffer continue to prove that wrong while Moore, Salopek, Redden, Rodan, Lobbe and Banner (admittedly injuries haven't helped with the last two) wallow in the SANFL.

All that clip shows is that the effort is there but the skills are s**t.

I don't think anyone has questioned Pfeiffer's effort

In this game? Some people have.

The relevance is that he's getting far too much praise when he was one of several players guilty of doing absolutely nothing to stop us from being 32 points down in the first place.

Darren had 6 disposals to 3qtr time with 0% disposal efficiency
he was terrible
WOG
along with Westy and Butch

The "stats" above show how misleading stats can be, as he did useful things with the ball under pressure, despite not getting it directly to players. Tackles and 1%ers don't appear in those stats either.

He wasn't worst out there by far in the first 3 quarters IMO. I was wondering who the hell had been playing in his jumper, at 1/4 time.

Remember, he's only just off the rookie list ... if he keeps going in with intensity like he did this game, I for one will have a looooot more patience with him that I used to.

Pred said:
In this game? Some people have.

You can put in a lot of effort and still have a terrible game. They're not mutually exclusive.

Pred said:
The "stats" above show how misleading stats can be, as he did useful things with the ball under pressure.

Not in that clip he didn't.

You can put in a lot of effort and still have a terrible game, but in my opinion his first quarter was not terrible.

And yes, he did in that clip.

He got a ball under pressure and handballed over the top to Pearce - commenator gave him a rap.

Later he took the ball from Hartlett under extreme tackling pressure (being spun), managed to get it on the boot and inside the 50.

I'm not saying he was Russell Ebert, but it's neither fair nor accurate to say he did "nothing" until the last quarter.

Skills are s**t? No they weren't. Everything he did in that clip was under pressure. He threw himself into every contested situation and on most occasions won the hard ball and moved it forwards to a contest at least.

That's the way of modern football. Not everyone can be the free man on the end of a chain of handballs, some guys have to be the one in the trenches getting shot.

s**t skills is being 20m in the clear and missing a target by 30m, or loping along and switching the play straight to an opposition player. Or not getting involved at all.

He had a few clangers in that game, but he was more than just effort too. While his disposals weren't beautiful lace out passes to team mates on the lead, nor were the situations he was in conducive to that sort of outcome. But he did get the ball forward mostly and at least to a contest without rank turnovers.

He was no world beater but by the same token he was far from useless.

Ford Fairlane said:
s**t skills is being 20m in the clear and missing a target by 30m, or loping along and switching the play straight to an opposition player. Or not getting involved at all.

Would you include, say, getting a free kick for out on the full in the back pocket and then kicking the ball straight back out on the full again as s**t skills?

I really do not understand what people have against a guy who tries to move the ball forward quickly under pressure. We need more of them in our side.

I'll telll you what, we get more out of a D.Pfeiffer possession that goes up the field than we do out of a Cornes or McCarthy touch that goes sideways 5 seconds too slow. And when he has no easy option to give off to he doesn't kick it directly to an opposition player either (Cassisi, Pearce).

He has also shown he is not completely useless when the ball is not in his hands. Good pressure, strong tackles, competes well when he gets thrown into defence.

He might be shown up for a lack of pace or skill at some point or he might overcome it and become a really good player but so far he is playing his role well for us.

Would you include, say, getting a free kick for out on the full in the back pocket and then kicking the ball straight back out on the full again as s**t skills?

If you read my post you will see I did note he made clangers. That was an example of a specific s**t skill execution not a summary of s**t skills. Like the difference between 'You're a bad boy' vs 'That was bad behaviour'. I'm willing to bet he's not the only footballer in the history of the game to kick out on the full.

And your original reference was to the film clip which is what I was commenting on.

Powerade 08 said:
I really do not understand what people have against a guy who tries to move the ball forward quickly under pressure.

I really hate it when people say 'they really do not understand' what people don't like about a player with glaring flaws. Even if they're talking about a player that I personally like.

Sure, you personally might think that he has good points which outweigh the flaws. But if you 'really can't understand' why anybody might not like a player with glaring flaws just because you think the good outweighs the bad then you need to reconsider the worth of your own opinion.

P.S. Yes, I'm guilty of this sometimes too. Feel free to call me out on it if I do it, because it's annoying.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back