Free Agency Dan McStay [Joins Collingwood as UFA]

Remove this Banner Ad

Why are UFAs getting compensation picks still?
You free up cap space already by losing the player.
The AFL must be the only league that compensates UFAs leaving...

Would be interesting to know who Pie fans would prefer Dan or Joe. Dan is a very good player at his best while Joe is a freak show who at his best will tear a game apart. Both though are inconsistent
I wouldn’t want Joe anywhere near our team, obviously more gifted than McStay but spits the dummy constantly when things aren’t going his way.

Reckon the Pies and Lions have something brewing elsewhere with pick swaps through the Pies offering McStay overs on the contract to bump up the band/compo return for the Lions with this here?

How much were the Lions offering McStay to remain at the Lions?
We offered him more because he’s a FA, if we had to trade for him we would probably be looking elsewhere.

Terrible final series and average year. I wonder if the Pies had second thoughts at all.

He was in Lions best players against Richmond top 3/4 easily.

I think he will contribute with our quick style of play hopefully we get it to him quick as he has great hands and in my opinion one of the better 1 on 1 players.

They all can't be superstars.

Was BOG in the first final lol.

Definitely in the top 3 or 4. Lachie Neale was probably BOG with 39 disposals (21 contested) and 15 clearances.

The Richmond game isn't the best representation of what he'll bring Collingwood because he played as the first ruck against Nankervis. The Melbourne game the week after is probably a better example of a good game from him (12 disposals, 6 marks, 2 goals), and if you're getting that sort of output every second week or so, you'd take it given he's a free agent that didn't cost anything.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Terrible final series and average year. I wonder if the Pies had second thoughts at all.
He was excellent in the first final, reasonable in the second final, and one of the majority of Lions that had a complete shocker in the third final. I'm not sure you'd call that a terrible finals series.

Why are UFAs getting compensation picks still?
You free up cap space already by losing the player.
The AFL must be the only league that compensates UFAs leaving...
The NFL does. They only start their compensation picks at the end of the 3rd round, but picks are probably more valuable there because every team actually uses all their picks, and players get drafted at age 22 so there's a better idea of how they'll turn out.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back