D-Day for Didaka

Remove this Banner Ad

Very sad to hear this. Seemed to be a nice, bright guy and I enjoyed and respected his posts. My thoughts are with his family tonight

Hi guys, it's Emma here...

Just wondering if there are any updates on the donation that was being made to Peter Mac in Brent's (Didaka's) name. I am unable to find the thread..I am probably just not looking well enough!

Also my sister is having a Cancer Council biggest morning tea this Sunday in honour of Brent. The link is http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/In-Honour-of-Brent-Full/221088104587200.

Hope that is right, but we have made up a page on facebook anyway, it's called 'In Honour Of Brent Full'. I know most of you probably do not live in the Peninsula area, but if you do you are more than welcome to come along.

Copeland - I will try and make some room in the inbox next time I am on Brent's laptop!

Thanks again for all of your support! :)

Just wondering if there are any updates on the donation that was being made to Peter Mac in Brent's (Didaka's) name. I am unable to find the thread..I am probably just not looking well enough!

Also my sister is having a Cancer Council biggest morning tea this Sunday in honour of Brent. The link is http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/In-Honour-of-Brent-Full/221088104587200.

Hope that is right, but we have made up a page on facebook anyway, it's called 'In Honour Of Brent Full'. I know most of you probably do not live in the Peninsula area, but if you do you are more than welcome to come along.

Copeland - I will try and make some room in the inbox next time I am on Brent's laptop!

Hi Emma, I'm looking after the donation to Peter Mac in Brent's name.
The donation has not been made as yet as money has still been coming in. One of our forum members could not attend the Presidents lunch and kindly donated his ticket to be auctioned to raise further money for the donation.
I'll keep you up to date with the donation when the account is closed and all money tallied.
I hope you are keeping well and coping.
Many people have expressed their respect, loss and sympathy on the main board thread in this link, if you feel like reading some of the submissions

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=814628&highlight=didaka+awayhttp://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=814628&highlight=didaka+away

Hi Pie Eyed, thanks for that. It's great that people are still donating!

Thanks for the link as well, I will take a look :)

Argh this is my first time logging in here for a while... but I was about during the initial stages of Didaka's battle. Truly gut wrenching...

RIP mate. You were a fantastic fella.

I will endeavour to make the most of my life as we all should in honour of people like you who get it taken away far too soon.

I'll remember you. Thank you for sharing with us your inspiring fight and I hope you have found a better place.

just read to page 56 tonight. got stuck on page 54 with the sad news. brought me to tears. didnt even no brent on here. but feel so close.
rest in peace.

TLDR: Top bloke, fought hard. It's taken me this long to post here.

Having been going through some 'big C' experiences of late I would chat with Didaka and share a quick back and forward swapping experiences.

He was well down the path, I (caring for a newly diagnosed family member) was new to the scene. Somewhere in between this gap, he along with a few other of the big footy crew, helped me take those first few gargantuan steps to changing the way my life ran so I could deal with this monster head on.

And so even though I didn't know him to a great depth, I knew of his struggle and the pains and trials he'd been through, I was privileged that he shared some of those with me in private, I was proud to know him. I've sat in oncology wards and talked about him, used him as a reference point for the ways one can walk the journey. I suppose you could say he gave us 'context' when we were making it up as we went along. Really apart from us, how many people in their 20's did I know who had cancer?

So busy with life, I stopped posting here, but I would always pop on and just make sure Didaka was posting, after all, he was one of us. One of youth, fighting before their time. It was just my way of saying 'oh good, he's soldering on, he's still with us.'

I read of his passing quite some time back, but it's taken me this long to post. Too hard perhaps? Too difficult to express.

I suppose the context he provided me with back then can't be given by him now. I suppose its now my turn ey Brent.

In some ways I think dealing with the possible outcome of cancer is harder than dealing with having it. That's the hellishly scary part imo. No one fears a tumour, but we fear what it can do to you. When that doc says "you've got xx percentage chance" you start to realise that some people make it and some people don't... and then you ask "which person am I?" (or you ask it of your family/friend etc...).

For me, getting my head around cancer has also involved getting my head around the possibility of someone not making it. People tell you not to think about it, but it's part of my make up, a denial I refuse to adopt. And of all the time I've spent in oncology wards and chemo clinics in the last 12 months, I haven't really known any other sufferers long term. It's three months here and there and then we've moved on to a different ward or hospital.

So Didaka, you were one of the few, of our age, with crummy odds (that's a guess we never talked odds, you tend not to I've noticed), walking a similar path. When the doctor told us 'your odds are a coin toss and this coin is fixed', you'd been there. In your passing, I got a vicarious experience of the other side of that coin and although sad when I heard you'd lost your battle I now feel proud. You fought so hard, with such vigour, you walked that path not invincible, not emotionless, but balls to the wall doggedly. You my friend are testimony to the idea that it's not the goal that matters it how you walk the path.

That I'll take with me; the final 'context' if you will.

Thanks mate.

God Bless.

You're missed.

Just read through this thread, and even though i didn't know him, it is so sad to have lost such a quality individual. I guess the lesson we can learn from all this is to just treasure the simple things in life.

Condolences to his family and friends.

R.I.P Didaka.

In September 2009 the morning of our final against Adelaide I got an unexpected phone call from my sister announcing my brother had cancer. Within 30 mins or so I posted in this thread not knowing where else to turn. At this stage I didn't know what type but suspected bowel cancer and that it was. Straight away I was offered support from Brent, he was such an inspiration to me.

They told my brother they got it all out and that chemo was precautionary. He went through 6 months of chemo was very hopeful and was booked into have surgery to reconnect the bowel. I was one of the unlucky people that booked to go overseas after the first grand final. Well of course there was the draw. Anyway he was booked for surgery whilst I was away. I was in the US different timezone and awoke to the message that the cancer was back. This was for me the morning of the GF Replay. Here we go again.

By Easter he was informed chemo is doing nothing, and given 12 months to live. He has gone downhill in the last week and can't make conversation, his mind is gone. He was put into palliative care today, he is 6ft 3 and weighs less than 50kg. Don't know if we have days or weeks left, I hate this disease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My brother died of bowel cancer last Thursday 28/7, at least he is no longer in pain.

That's shithouse mate. My condolences :(

My sister (who is a 36yo single mum of three) has terminal breast cancer.

That was how I got to know Brent, he would often ask how she was doing.

My sis has been lucky that she's still hanging in there after a couple of years, similar to Jimmy Stynes, but like him, she's living on borrowed time.

My family all know it is only a matter of time before things go totally pear shaped :(

My brother died of bowel cancer last Thursday 28/7, at least he is no longer in pain.

I remember you coming in this thread and sharing your brothers plight with everyone. I'm really sorry to hear that mate, absolutely shithouse. How are you travelling? I hope your holding up alright, as well as you can be anyway.

So sad to hear that. There are no real words for these situations that seem enough. Sometimes a solemn shake of the head, a deep breath and quiet reflection seem like the best reaction, but it is so hard to convey on a message board.

Surely there would be few sadder threads anywhere on the internet than this one here (whilst still being at least somewhat inspirational, due to the way Didaka handled himself right through his ordeal).

While on the topic, my dad was actually diagnosed with prostate cancer 2 weeks ago. It's one of the 'good cancers' apparently though, and we're not worrying about it too much. My family only gets the good cancers, it seems...

Oh, and by the way, after reading one of the posts earlier about how helpful Didaka was due to the poster not knowing any other 20-somethings with cancer - I just want to say that if anyone is going through anything like this, either with cancer or caring for someone, you can send me a PM. I'm not as active as I could be on these boards, but if I see it, I'll help you any way you can.

There is no guide book for cancer, and I can't give you the answers for all the questions you'll no doubt have, but I've experienced the rush and confusion when the diagnosis comes so I'll at least know some of what you're going through.

s**t sorry to hear that de_LICA_ish18, only just came back now to check this thread and saw your post.

Hope you're going OK.

Have you had checks yourself, a colonoscopy. I'm sure your dr would be all over that for you.

It's just dreadful watching a loved one emaciating away with cancer.

Good Luck with that Emma and Hope people turn up and Donate:thumbsu:

This is a great message, and everyone would do well to remember that the person you may be abusing or intimidating at the football, may well be a Didaka, there to enjoy his football, while fighting his own personal battles.

We have different tribal allegiances, but for most of us, it is the excitement of the game, not the tribal hatred, that keeps us coming back.

I was at the Footy one Night this Year(Forgot what Game) and I was waiting to have a Piss and this Young fellow came up to me and said can he go in 1st because he had a Caltomie Bag(Connected To his Bow) underneath his Jumper and said he can go in next and can he go in next and I said that is sure.

That did remind me of Didaka and Hope that guy is better

I was at the Footy one Night this Year(Forgot what Game) and I was waiting to have a Piss and this Young fellow came up to me and said can he go in 1st because he had a Caltomie Bag(Connected To his Bow) underneath his Jumper and said he can go in next and can he go in next and I said that is sure.

That did remind me of Didaka and Hope that guy is better

Ah, you mean a Colostomy bag. Eek, I had to have one of those for an operation once, and it wasn't great. In fact I took it to a Midnight Oil concert and it was the most uncomfortable moment I'd spent at a live gig :eek:

Totally still remember Didaka and his impact on these boards. Will be giving a silent nod to the heavens if we win through to October. Peace.

Just read through this thread for the first time and i have to say i actually hate myself for supporting st kilda in the gf last year. This is also the first time i have cried for somebody i do not know. RIP Didaka

Remove this Banner Ad

Back