D-Day for Didaka

Remove this Banner Ad

To me Didaka was one of the best things that ever happened to BF - the way he united us to support him, and not just Pies fans. And his confronting honesty cut through all the usual cyber braggadocio and made us all open our hearts.

I remembered that he made me this wonderful logo for the ROCCAdemption Buddy thread, and I know he did logos for other players. His artwork will be here forever.

23i762c.gif

R.I.P. To one of the best, most knowledgable & impartial posters on the entire site. It makes the thought of the Pies flag last year so much more bearable in the knowledge that he got to experience all the highs that come with a premiership.

Best wishes to his family. Perhaps a fundraiser or something of the like could be organised for them just to help support them and let them know how much of a valued member he was? I'd be willing to chuck in some moolah for such a worthy cause, every bit helps. :thumbsu:

Shocked to read this, and although I don't really remember seeing didaka around BF I still feel unbelievably sad. RIP.

Re: In memory of Didaka

Oh... my... I don't have any words.

I haven't been around the forums much in the last 12 months, so they last I really read was that Didaka seemed to be getting better.

I am seriously gutted by this. I just... ugh.

RIP Didaka. I didn't know you much at all, but you still seemed like a top bloke.

Hi my name is Debbie and I am Brents mum. I would just like to say thank you to everyone for your tributes for my son, I knew that Brent had made an impact on people during his journey but i am only now just finding out how many people he has shared his story with along the way. Brent was an amazing brave young man and remained that way right to the end. He would be as I am, overwhelmed at the huge show of support on Big Footy and it has been a great comfort for myself his sisters and girlfriend Emma to be able to read all this wonderful messages. Thank you so much.

Thanks Debbie,

Brent really did mean a lot to us...

The strength through adversity that he allowed us to see on here was amazing. You should both be very proud.

I am glad that you and your family have been able to read the tributes and I, for one, would very much like it if you (and Emma) checked in on us from time to time as you are just as much members of our magpie family as Brent was.

Side by Side...
Floreat Pica...

Hi my name is Debbie and I am Brents mum. I would just like to say thank you to everyone for your tributes for my son, I knew that Brent had made an impact on people during his journey but i am only now just finding out how many people he has shared his story with along the way. Brent was an amazing brave young man and remained that way right to the end. He would be as I am, overwhelmed at the huge show of support on Big Footy and it has been a great comfort for myself his sisters and girlfriend Emma to be able to read all this wonderful messages. Thank you so much.

I'm very sorry for you trouble. I'm a mother too, Debbie, and I can well imagine how you must be suffering. As Irish poet Padraig Pearse once said,

"Lord, thou art hard on mothers,
We suffer in their coming and in their going."

He wrote that in a poem he called "The Mother" in his prison cell just before he was executed. He'd been one of the leaders of the 1916 Easter Rising and was executed by the English. He was very close to his mother and in his last hours imagined her pain.

There is no consolation for you loss. But you had the privilege of bringing a remarkable young man into the world, and of looking after him his whole life. It was a short life, but as you can see, one that touched many others, and inspired us all. He made BigFooty a very human place, because he had the courage to share the story of his fraility with us. We all love him for that.

I suspect that he had the grace of a happy death in the end, because he had you all and knew himself to be well loved. That's as much as we can hope for in life.

I hope time will ease your sorrow for his sake. He had such courage, and that truth will sustain you now. Emma, may you have a full, happy life. That's what Brent would have wanted for you.

May God hold you all in the palm of his hand.

Re: In Memory of Didaka

D-Day for Didaka post #488 - Didaka drops some more wisdom.

So I'm going in for my first and the more major surgery on Thursday the 3rd.

I probably won't be on a lot over the next couple of days as I'm heading out fishing off Safety Beach tomorrow and on Wednesday I will probably go out for a ride, or a hit of golf or something, so I thought I'd say thanks for all the support that I have received from the BF community.

I've worked really hard over the last couple of months on my health, fitness and overall happiness and it has done me well. I have relieved most symptoms, and I genuinely feel as though I may have healed these things down on my own with a well balanced cancer fighting diet, a hell of a lot of exercise and a lot of meditation.

I think this should be it for me, and now I am equipt to finally move on with my life, find a new avenue to money that I enjoy doing, find a new home, get a nice new car, move back into sport, and of course be happy and enjoy every aspect of my life.

I have grown considerably over the last couple of months. I think this illness has been a blessing in disguise, but make no mistake about it, I am not sick. I am a fit, healthy, strong 26 year old man. I can honestly say now that I am a man.

I treat people with the utmost respect, and the way I like to be treated myself. Everyone is special in their own way, and hating one only hurts you. I have put aside all grudges, as the grudges only effect myself, not them.

I now know that If I didn't suffer this hardship at a young age, it would ruin my life at a later date, and probably in a fatal way as I wouldn't be able to fight this off. It has taken a lot of discipline to change my ways. Have you ever thought how hard it is to change your thought pattern. It's the most challenging thing in the world.

I now help people with their lives. I feel comfortable giving people advice on how to improve their weaknesses and stay strong. Learn how to deal with their issues so they can be at peace mentally.

Taking responsibility for your own life is important. You see many people putting their faith in a secondary source. You are allowed to believe what you feel is right, and what you want, but remember one thing, we are all responsible for our own paths, and we can also change our own paths. You cannot change the past but you can most certainly change the future.

It comes from taking the path you feel is right for you, and not being a slave to secondary forces.

I meditated on Collingwood drafting Luke Ball at selection 30. Okay, that was out of my control, but it still came true, because I had faith that it would.:)

If you visualize your own life being complete, you will eventually believe it, and it will come to fruition.

My surgery on Thursday is large, no doubt. I will be cut from sternum to pubic line, but I know things will be alright. I have told my body that things will be okay, therefor I will get the best case scenario. But you have to believe it.

I think this is amongst the greatest posts from the D-Day thread. There is so much wisdom to take from this post, for me particularly from the bolded comments. To paraphrase, treat people how you would like to be treated, be disciplined and change destructive habits and thought patterns and that ultimately we are responsible for the path we take in life. A fantastic message to everyone.

That's Great to hear Debbie that our Messages are making you Happier in this Terrible Time.

Trust me in saying he was a Fantastic Bloke:thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I actually remember those words (well, the message anyway) from when he posted them. It made a heap of sense. Everyone has little battles they're fighting which you have no idea about, treating people like s**t achieves nothing.

I actually remember those words (well, the message anyway) from when he posted them. It made a heap of sense. Everyone has little battles they're fighting which you have no idea about, treating people like s**t achieves nothing.

Me too it was one of the most profound, inspiring and touching things I have read, not just on Bigfooty but ever really. (especially considering the circumstances he was in when he posted this)

Didaka I never knew you like most of the people on here, but I have just read your posts from the start of the D-Day thread until the end and the amount of perseverance you had was amazing. You fought and you fought but you cannot fight forever, I am a true Brisbane supporter but for your sake I hope the pies win the next 100 flags, as that would be the true send off for you.

Dont date too many of the fairies now mate, aha.

R.I.P Brent, your life will live on forever on bigfooty and outside of this internet sociable website and you will never be replaced.

Just read some of this, I haven't been around lately, this is devestating news. RIP Brent, I wish the family all the best. I always said, I would die happy witnessing the Magpies win a Premiership in my lifetime, I hope it bought you as much joy as it did for me mate.

I guess at a time like this we have to be grateful for small mercies. Didaka went out on a high, football-wise. The mighty Pies are reigning premiers and still hadn't dropped a game when he passed away. I'm sure if he was given the choice, that would have been near the top of the list of how he's like to leave this mortal world. Not many people have gone out on such a high.
A man of wise words - rest in the peace you so deserve!

RIP Didaka, always enjoyed the contribution you made to threads here. Yes it's a bit late, but it's here on the internets for perpetuity

Hope the other side's kinder...
Lucas

Not much to add to this thread except to say that after reading it I was off to the doctor for the kitchen sink. I'd imagine there would be a few others doing the same.

My sincere condolences to those who knew and loved "Didaka" and others who shared, in part, his journey on the Collingwood board.

While not spending that much time on your board I had read some of his posts on the occasion in the past. Regardless of your footy allegiance its always tough to see the effects of cancer on young lives let alone anyone for that fact.

Its always something special when someone who is a stranger to most, reaches out to touch so many in their battle for life. The kid made an impact on many of you, suffers no longer but wont be forgotten thanks to the dedication from a number of you.

My hatt of to you, respectful in Didaka's passing.

Regards
Mike

Didaka I never knew you like most of the people on here, but I have just read your posts from the start of the D-Day thread until the end and the amount of perseverance you had was amazing. You fought and you fought but you cannot fight forever, I am a true Brisbane supporter but for your sake I hope the pies win the next 100 flags, as that would be the true send off for you.

Dont date too many of the fairies now mate, aha.

R.I.P Brent, your life will live on forever on bigfooty and outside of this internet sociable website and you will never be replaced.

Yeah I read that thread too.

Amazing positivity in an extraordinary negative situation.

R.I.P. mate.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back