Crowds, what's needed to get them back to the VFL(VFA)

Remove this Banner Ad

Increase the salary cap so clubs can recruit & keep players at their clubs, to stop S.A clubs from poaching players from Victoria. Also better publicity in our newspapers each day in the footy season.
Go Borough!

GOT_TO_LIFT said:
YES sounds great

More sundays games
lot people love night footy so night footy

as everyone is saying link tac cup with vfl Tassie might struggle a lil with filling a Snr and ressie but if u got 10 kangaroos a week should not be to bad tassie under 18's would do well in a full time comp

Would u change under 18 to under 19???

by i am a tassie boy
The Mariners used to play full time in the under age comp, but the costs proved prohibitive. As did the training, its not easy for a Burnie kid to train with the Hobart based guys.

Marketing the VFL with the following,

Standing in the outer, drinking out of a can of beer instead of plastic cup, enjoying with mates, all the room in the world, old surburban footy, the rain, the mud, the way footy used to be. When footy was affortable.

Market everything that people hate about the afl.

I think Sunday footy would be pretty hard, doesn't the AFL usually try to have 2 games in Melbourne on Sunday? Also with the huge TV day a lot of people just could not be bothered IMO.

Just target history, Saturday Arvo footy, include some night footy. Would be a good incentive for the Cats to get some lights at Kardinia...maybe the AFL team will not get a night game, but the VFL team could give Geelong fans a new opportunity to see footy at night.....

1. get rid of curtain raiser games
These are a bad idea. They will inevitably draw unfavourable comparisons to the AFL.

2. publish attendances (they are nothing to be ashamed of)
Footy supporters love to talk crowd figures. At AFL games, when the attendance comes up on the scoreboard it is always a discussion point. They compare it with other leagues and sports and this drives them to go to more games. Not having official attendances hurts the VFL.

3. market it as a true state league
need to capitalise on the shortcomings of the AFL as a national competition.

4. rules for increased physicality
this may stop AFL players from having a run in the comp, but things like the no backwards rule really increase the contested possession and make it more of a spectacle. People are leaving the AFL for league and union and the VFL could pick up the crumbs.

1. get rid of curtain raiser games
These are a bad idea. They will inevitably draw unfavourable comparisons to the AFL.

2. publish attendances (they are nothing to be ashamed of)
Footy supporters love to talk crowd figures. At AFL games, when the attendance comes up on the scoreboard it is always a discussion point. They compare it with other leagues and sports and this drives them to go to more games. Not having official attendances hurts the VFL.

3. market it as a true state league
need to capitalise on the shortcomings of the AFL as a national competition.

4. rules for increased physicality
this may stop AFL players from having a run in the comp, but things like the no backwards rule really increase the contested possession and make it more of a spectacle. People are leaving the AFL for league and union and the VFL could pick up the crumbs.
No Victorian is leaving the AFL for League or Union, but the rest of it makes pretty good sense.

Raise the Salary cap and abolish the TAC cup.

This allows Victorias best youngsters to play against men and the hype of youngsters could bring the crowds in.

I reckon that the VFL needs to ignore the AFL and go its own way with the rules like they did in the VFA days.

They should bring in new tackling / holding the ball / holding the man rules and make the bump fair.

The AFL are changing the game for the worse and the VFL can do their own thing and get more Aussie Rules fans who hate the AFL.

I reckon that the VFL needs to ignore the AFL and go its own way with the rules like they did in the VFA days.

They should bring in new tackling / holding the ball / holding the man rules and make the bump fair.

The AFL are changing the game for the worse and the VFL can do their own thing and get more Aussie Rules fans who hate the AFL.
A reasonable idea, but you need to realise that the Laws of the Game are controlled by the AFL.

A reasonable idea, but you need to realise that the Laws of the Game are controlled by the AFL.

Who died and made them boss ?

Seriously what is to stop any league from playing by their own set of rules. If someone doesn't like the way the AFL is headed, they should have some sort of say on it.

Unfortunately the time has gone to get crowds back to these games. The AFL taking over many of the old VFA team has disillusioned alot of those old VFA supporters. These supporters now have dropped back to local footy and supporting their teams at that level.

Its a shame really beacuse I remember going to many VFA games where the crowds were very good and watching players like Bill Swan play for Port Melbourne and Williamstown, Joe Lumicisi and Neil Jordan at Preston, Rino Pretto at Oakleigh, Daivid Buttifant and Simon Darylrymple at Box Hill, Rohan Welsh at Dandenong, Robert Mace at Frankston, Jack Aziz at Williamstown and Werribee and not to forget the Coburg boys of Phil Cleary, Billy Kakkouer, Ken Ingram and Gary Sheldon.

Ahh they were the days.

Unfortunately the time has gone to get crowds back to these games. The AFL taking over many of the old VFA team has disillusioned alot of those old VFA supporters. These supporters now have dropped back to local footy and supporting their teams at that level.

Its a shame really beacuse I remember going to many VFA games where the crowds were very good and watching players like Bill Swan play for Port Melbourne and Williamstown, Joe Lumicisi and Neil Jordan at Preston, Rino Pretto at Oakleigh, Daivid Buttifant and Simon Darylrymple at Box Hill, Rohan Welsh at Dandenong, Robert Mace at Frankston, Jack Aziz at Williamstown and Werribee and not to forget the Coburg boys of Phil Cleary, Billy Kakkouer, Ken Ingram and Gary Sheldon.

Ahh they were the days.

Ken Ingram and Gary Sheldon? wat time was this, were are these blokes from?

Who died and made them boss ?

Seriously what is to stop any league from playing by their own set of rules. If someone doesn't like the way the AFL is headed, they should have some sort of say on it.

The NAFC (or whatever it was called) died and made them boss.

The states require AFL funding. This is why most (all?) state leagues have the send-off rule and the AFL do not. The AFL told the states they had to introduce it, around 10 years ago I think, or their funding would be cut.
The SANFL and WAFL may be strong enough, but other states need the dollars for their majore league as well as the suburban and country competitions.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well, i brought my sister and her husband (and they're baby) to the Frankston v Bullants final this year, and they loved it, and want to go to the VFL with me next year! My wife's having a baby ANY day, due date tomorrow, so this should turn into a happy little family outing in the next few years. Much easier to take babies to the VFL than the AFL. Hopefully they'll grow up loving it!

Well, i brought my sister and her husband (and they're baby) to the Frankston v Bullants final this year, and they loved it, and want to go to the VFL with me next year! My wife's having a baby ANY day, due date tomorrow, so this should turn into a happy little family outing in the next few years. Much easier to take babies to the VFL than the AFL. Hopefully they'll grow up loving it!
I'll see if I can organise a Dolphins membership for them!!

Think you're being a tad optimistic Ons....

I certainly am being optimistic. On paper I think Port's line-up at this stage could look something like:

B J.Milhuisen L.Livingston L.Cotchett

HB C.Obst J.Baird Brewer

C B.Shaw D.Robbins B.Nixon

HF T.Hazell A.Bonaddio M.Smith

FORWARDS D.Pitt J.Dukes R.Nahas

RUCKS M.Bekker? R.McMahon D.Spriggs

INTER R.Cheevers R.Bloomfield T.Pinwill R.Nayna M.Carroll J.Plymin S.Dwyer B.Sutcliffe etc.

As seeing as the Rookie/PSD only finished yesterday, I'd say Port are in a pretty decent position. Add Port Adelaide rookie Tim Looby was signed, and a vflfooty.com poster mentioned Sport927 has Julian Rowe training at Port.

Dean Kelly said on SEN in an interview with the Run Home that he would either play at Port Melbourne or in the WAFL if not drafted. If he sticks around that would be a massive boost.

My oath I'm optimistic! That's what pre-seasons all about.

Free Beer would do it.

In all reality my problem with the VFL isnt that it isnt entertaining because that is absolute rubbish. But rather that I dont know enough of the players. Education

Remove this Banner Ad

Back