Crock wants the job Long Term

Remove this Banner Ad

NORTH Melbourne caretaker coach Darren Crocker says pursuing a senior AFL post has always been in the back of his mind, but has only come to the fore in the last two years.

Crocker confirmed from the Roos' training session at Trinity Grammar on Thursday morning that he was keen to become Dean Laidley's successor from next season.

After 12 years as a player with North, Crocker coached VFL club Port Melbourne in 1999, had a five-year apprenticeship with Danny Frawley at Richmond and then returned to Arden Street as an assistant to Laidley in 2005.

Named in the interim role following Laidley's surprise resignation on Tuesday, Crocker said his opportunity was a "tremendous honour and privilege" but acknowledged the club's process for an appointment.

"The coaches I have worked with have been fantastic and the coaches I have played under, I learned a hell of a lot from," he said. "I really think I now have something to offer as a coach.

"There's no doubt I want to coach senior football and I think I'm well-equipped to coach senior football.

"I first coached at Port Melbourne so to coach an AFL senior team [seemed] a fair way off."

Crocker said he had already spoken with a number of his mentors and that it was crucial he stayed true to himself and his approach over the next 10 weeks.

However, only small changes would be made to Laidley's game plan as North looked to get the most out of the remainder of its season.

"With all credit to Dean, we weren't that far off the mark," Crocker said. "We want to play an exciting brand of football that brings our members and supporters through the gates and has them really excited about the way we're educating our young players to play the modern game.

"We're looking to remain uncompromising with the way we go about our football, that's been a trademark of this football club for a long time."

Though North isn't completely out of the finals race, Crocker reiterated his side was at a development stage and wanted to make significant ground in that regard by the end of the year.

"We're playing a lot of young kids [and] some of the older guys will probably see this as an opportunity to prove themselves to a new coach," he said.

"I've just come out of a meeting with the players for the first time this morning and basically set down what my vision for the next 10 weeks would be."

Veteran Adam Simpson had also spoken with Crocker about the support he would provide him in the caretaker role.

"Brent (Harvey)'s the same," Crocker added. "I'd imagine the leadership group will be right behind me over the next 10 weeks.

"I suppose the next 10 weeks gives us great opportunity. We're going into a new facility next year and [we can] really work on becoming a high-performance football club."

Crocker said a gathering at Laidley's house on Tuesday night had provided his shocked players with some closure.

He had not considered the speculation of Collingwood great Nathan Buckley being in North's sights for the job.

"With all credit to Dean, we weren't that far off the mark," Crocker said. "We want to play an exciting brand of football that brings our members and supporters through the gates and has them really excited about the way we're educating our young players to play the modern game.
Then stop the 20 consecutive handballs that usually result in turnovers. I would rather see consistent long kicks into the forward 50 so the forwards can get better at providing a target, even if it results in a few turnovers while they improve.

It is going to be an interesting time this second half of the year.

We might get a lot of players back, and could have a very good record over the next ten games if we do.

You can't underestimate the impact of not having Boomer, Campbell, a fit Wells and even Anthony. Our injuries have been terrible not so much because of number, but because they all hit the same type of player.

Get them back, possibly throw in Jesse, and we could get some big interstate wins and possibly push a couple of contenders near the end of the season.

The club will have to make sure they don't get swept up in this when choosing the coach, because crocker could find himself in a very good position in terms of how it is going to reflect on him at the end of the season.

It is going to be an interesting time this second half of the year.

We might get a lot of players back, and could have a very good record over the next ten games if we do.

You can't underestimate the impact of not having Boomer, Campbell, a fit Wells and even Anthony. Our injuries have been terrible not so much because of number, but because they all hit the same type of player.

Get them back, possibly throw in Jesse, and we could get some big interstate wins and possibly push a couple of contenders near the end of the season.

The club will have to make sure they don't get swept up in this when choosing the coach, because crocker could find himself in a very good position in terms of how it is going to reflect on him at the end of the season.
Unleash the Giesh!

Unleash the Giesh!

Exactly.

Or that other weird bloke who took over for Melbourne.

Two well dodged bullets it seems.

But I am sure PROCESS is Euge's middle name.

I wonder how Rick would handle it?

With all due respect, the best Crocker can hope for is to remain at the club as an assistant.

Assuming we clean out our footall department as the new coach comes in, we would need someone there who knows the list and some history of what went on around the club over the las few years. Crocker coud be ideal for that.

I am not against Crock putting his hand up for a senior job.
I mean, for every Geish there is a Roos.

If everything clicked under Crocker in the next 10 weeks, he has to become a serious contender considering he always seem to be in charge of our best performing area (defence, mid, forwards).

He just has to be able to also present a great vision and clear plan. And I would want a clean out of the other assistants.

But rightly or wrongly, I have a feeling marketability is going to play a huge part in the next appointment, and Crocker in a tough spot given he is already familiar.

Playing the kids and attacking footy...all ive been waiting to hear since this year officially started to turn murky.

Love the attitude Crocks:thumbsu::thumbsu::thumbsu:

Lets take it one week at a time, kicking more than a goal a quarter would be a good first step.

To be perfectly honest Id be happy just to get our best team on the park and get some games into them as a unit....

you would think that Crock has little chance of getting the senior job....put in perspective if Laidley was considered ineffective enough to potentially not warrant a renewal of his contract then why would you keep Crock, daly or bewick.....

Crock would know this and will use the balance of the year to firstly signal his intention that he is ready to be a senior coach try and secondly open doors elsewhere....

I like Crock and he is a north man but his timing at North couldnt be worse....the club is screaming for new blood....

I just saw Crock talking then. If I closed my eyes, I could swear it was Coln Carpenter putting his hand up for the job.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Crocker is a fantastic bloke. met him down at wilsons prom this preseason. Very professional and friendly =)

I just saw Crock talking then. If I closed my eyes, I could swear it was Coln Carpenter putting his hand up for the job.
------------------------------------------------------------------

:D- yep , wish he hadn't said he wanted the gig full time , just going to end in tears - think Laids may well have a more out going personality.

elmer_fudd.png

crocker_thumb.jpg

OR

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/asiacampaigner/Crimson_Chin_300.gif
0,,5390002,00.jpg

Are we hunting wabbits or premierships? :D

elmer_fudd.png

crocker_thumb.jpg

OR

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i69/asiacampaigner/Crimson_Chin_300.gif
0,,5390002,00.jpg

Are we hunting wabbits or premierships? :D

Although Crocker does have one more of them than Buckley.

Crocker has always impressed me as a person- he is approachable, friendly and genuine with his time and I think these qualities shone through in his press conference yesterday.

I really believe that we will see great improvement in the way the boys play and the type of game plan they play over the next few weeks- especially expect to see instant sweeping changes for the better come the Bulldogs game next week.

I particularly liked the way Crocker stressed yesterday how he wants the boys to play an exciting brand of football, a style of play that will bring people to games- what a shame our previous coach never had the same opinion.

Good luck Crocks and go Roos:thumbsu:

Crocker has always impressed me as a person- he is approachable, friendly and genuine with his time and I think these qualities shone through in his press conference yesterday.

I really believe that we will see great improvement in the way the boys play and the type of game plan they play over the next few weeks- especially expect to see instant sweeping changes for the better come the Bulldogs game next week.

I particularly liked the way Crocker stressed yesterday how he wants the boys to play an exciting brand of football, a style of play that will bring people to games - what a shame our previous coach never had the same opinion.
Ditto; seems like a likeable guy. In particular a "hear, hear" to the last point. Let's hope crowds are reflective of a more exciting brand of footy.

He he, good point.

I'll see you that post, and raise you a "Pagan had none (as player) before taking on our senior coaching role."

Good point that, but I'll raise you further by reminding that Pagan did at least coach several U19 flags and an Essendon Reserves flag in 1992.

Our best game this year was our pre-season match against Freo where Crocker coached and we seemed to attack for four quarters, I am hopeful he can look back to that game and if we can just go about it with the same focus he will be going down the right path.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back