COVID-19 / Coronavirus

Remove this Banner Ad

there's making money and then there is making money

I'm glad we've got the vaccine and there are smart people with good intentions working at Pfizer but I've worked for more than one pharma and more than one large US owned corporation and I know how they role with ethics

my current employer is also on that list of most ethical companies, I've worked for more than one company on that list and I've worked with several others, I also see companies on that list that have terrible records with how they treat their own staff

I'm sure they all have lots of good people working for them and compared to a lot of other businesses out there they may be better, but that doesn't mean I'd trust any of them to do the right thing for altruistic reasons, for profit sure but there is nothing ethical about that
There is a rigourous process in getting on the Honoree list. Pfizer made it on the list this year. They weren't on the list last year. There are companies on the list this year that have been there for a few years running. Its not something they just hand out. They are well respected around the world and the list of companies on the list should tell you everyone wants to be on the list

There is a rigourous process in getting on the Honoree list. Pfizer made it on the list this year. They weren't on the list last year. There are companies on the list this year that have been there for a few years running. Its not something they just hand out. They are well respected around the world and the list of companies on the list should tell you everyone wants to be on the list
like I said I work for one of the companies on that list and they love being on those lists but that doesn't mean they aren't working to be on that list as opposed to really embedding ethics into what they do
like its cool if you think its something to celebrate but my personal experience with the reality of working for one of those "ethical" companies doesn't give me much faith in that award if they are on the list

like I said I work for one of the companies on that list and they love being on those lists but that doesn't mean they aren't working to be on that list as opposed to really embedding ethics into what they do
like its cool if you think its something to celebrate but my personal experience with the reality of working for one of those "ethical" companies doesn't give me much faith in that award if they are on the list
Fair enough mate I understand your take. Put it this way if I were a company I would rather be on that list than not. Those companies are obviously doing something right as an organisation. This is not to denigrate your personal experience in a particular division or project

Fair enough mate I understand your take. Put it this way if I were a company I would rather be on that list than not. Those companies are obviously doing something right as an organisation. This is not to denigrate your personal experience in a particular division or project
ok to be clear
on the list is better than not on the list
I am saying the bar is low in my experience of what qualifies as business ethics and its not necessarily what people would actually think is ethical

and what companies say and promote vs what they do, I think we all know varies, sometimes a lot

I also look at the importance they put on training and CSR and think yeah my employer would sure look good in that regard but that doesn't mean they actually are

oh and when I see Kellogg on a list of worlds most ethical companies I think about stuff like this

just last year they tried to fire a bunch of striking works, this went on for months and is only the latest in a long line of issues I have with that company

its an award by a for profit company that created the award, I guess to make money yeah

anyway back to covid because I could go all day about corporate America to no ones benefit

NSW climbing again with 20k new cases today and Hazzard saying a more contagious version of Omicron is taking over doesn't make me happy

ok to be clear
on the list is better than not on the list
I am saying the bar is low in my experience of what qualifies as business ethics and its not necessarily what people would actually think is ethical

and what companies say and promote vs what they do, I think we all know varies, sometimes a lot

I also look at the importance they put on training and CSR and think yeah my employer would sure look good in that regard but that doesn't mean they actually are

oh and when I see Kellogg on a list of worlds most ethical companies I think about stuff like this

just last year they tried to fire a bunch of striking works, this went on for months and is only the latest in a long line of issues I have with that company

its an award by a for profit company that created the award, I guess to make money yeah

Interesting debate on whether employee strikes and ethics. Its good that the issue got resolved though

anyway back to covid because I could go all day about corporate America to no ones benefit

NSW climbing again with 20k new cases today and Hazzard saying a more contagious version of Omicron is taking over doesn't make me happy

Anecdotally I'd say the people getting the current strain are more unwell than the group who got it in early January.

Our work outlook is for an outbreak through the southern hemisphere winter AND a significant influenza outbreak. We commence fluvax in about four weeks.

Anecdotally I'd say the people getting the current strain are more unwell than the group who got it in early January.

Our work outlook is for an outbreak through the southern hemisphere winter AND a significant influenza outbreak. We commence fluvax in about four weeks.

The initial targetting here in Vic passes my pub test : You may be eligible for a fourth COVID-19 vaccine. Here's what you need to know

'The Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation (ATAGI) recommends an additional COVID-19 booster dose for:

• Adults aged 65 years and older
  • Residents of aged care or disability care facilities
  • People aged 16 years and older who are severely immunocompromised
  • Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people aged 50 years and older
For most people, this will be their fourth COVID-19 vaccine since the rollout began.

For severely immunocompromised people, it may be their fifth (having received three doses as part of their primary vaccination series, followed by a booster).'

Will the changes to Covid rules in Vic and NSW mean there is less chance now of players missing thru covid protocols?
I can't get my head around if the relaxations help or not as far as afl goes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finally able to take my 2 year old daughter to Vietnam to get hugs from my wife’s family, and all 3 of us have been struck down with Covid
My daughter caught it first, on the plane from Saigon to Nha Trang, and now we all have it!
Our 3 week holiday has turned into hopefully 2 weeks, with 1 in a hotel room :mad:

We have just got back from Gold Coast , all 4 of us now have it.

6 yo is fine but the 4 yo is really struggling.
I havent felt this sick in years , sore all over , chills and feel like I have pressure on my face 24/7.
Wife is clearly ill but perhaps on the more mild side .
She runs her own business so will be an interesting week for her to manage all the rebookings

I haven't taken a test since Jan when I was a close contact at work and tested positive despite being asymptomatic. I've somehow managed to go through all of winter so far without a sniffle despite no mask or vaccination, amazing stuff.

All the best to those that are currently ill.

We have just got back from Gold Coast , all 4 of us now have it.

6 yo is fine but the 4 yo is really struggling.
I havent felt this sick in years , sore all over , chills and feel like I have pressure on my face 24/7.
Wife is clearly ill but perhaps on the more mild side .
She runs her own business so will be an interesting week for her to manage all the rebookings
It’s quite weird

My 2 year old who obviously isn’t vaccinated got a really high temp, 40.5 at one point
Took her to emergency here in Nha Trang on 3 separate occasions and they got her temp down quite quickly (thank God)
The only other symptom she had was an occasional cough
She is totally over it, within 4 days

My wife has sore joints, a bad cough and a blocked nose
She is just about over it, probably in a day or so

Me, I have a badly swollen throat making it nearly impossible to eat, and I have zero energy
I reckon I’m not anywhere near over it yet

The only positive for me, I’ve lost 2 kegs in 3 days :p

It’s quite weird

My 2 year old who obviously isn’t vaccinated got a really high temp, 40.5 at one point
Took her to emergency here in Nha Trang on 3 separate occasions and they got her temp down quite quickly (thank God)
The only other symptom she had was an occasional cough
She is totally over it, within 4 days

My wife has sore joints, a bad cough and a blocked nose
She is just about over it, probably in a day or so

Me, I have a badly swollen throat making it nearly impossible to eat, and I have zero energy
I reckon I’m not anywhere near over it yet

The only positive for me, I’ve lost 2 kegs in 3 days :p
Given how challenging its been for us at home can only imagine being OS, hopefully you get it out the way and its a ripper holiday for you and the family 👍

By the way there seems to be a misunderstanding on what scientific theory is. As in Germ Theory, The theory of Universal gravity etc.

Scientific theory (word) is different to the English word Theory

"A scientific theory is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world and universe that has been repeatedly tested and corroborated in accordance with the scientific method, using accepted protocols of observation, measurement, and evaluation of results. Where possible, theories are tested under controlled conditions in an experiment.[1][2] In circumstances not amenable to experimental testing, theories are evaluated through principles of abductive reasoning. Established scientific theories have withstood rigorous scrutiny and embody scientific knowledge.[3]"

So they are not JUST THEORIES

So I'm 7 days from positive so out of ISO , although still at home today.
I still dont have my taste back and if I do anything it knocks me for 6.
If I walk up the stairs at home I literally need to sit down 30 minutes after . Just have no energy or zip at all .

Sure It'll be ok but gee its been a rough week.
Rest of the family all good and firing again.

If I walk up the stairs at home I literally need to sit down 30 minutes after . Just have no energy or zip at all .

yeah my energy came back very slowly over weeks, I found I had to rest a lot more while doing tasks and the more i did physically the worse my brain fog was as well

sleep was the only thing that helped with that, i was sleeping closer to 12 hours a day for a while there

rest seems to be the biggest thing with recovery times, the less you can get the longer it can drag on for (assuming no long covid that is)

Good stuff

We are all out of hotel quarantine, and back out amongst it in Nha Trang finally
Felt so sorry for my wife’s family, but they have been amazing to us, dropping off breakfast lunch and dinner for a week at our hotel
My daughters 2nd birthday was today, so we took everyone to Vinpearl Island for the day (holiday resort with a massive waterpark, aquarium, zoo, beautiful gardens and many restaurants)
Great day had by all
Still lacking energy, but all other symptoms the 3 of us had are virtually gone

By the way there seems to be a misunderstanding on what scientific theory is. As in Germ Theory, The theory of Universal gravity etc.

Scientific theory (word) is different to the English word Theory

"A scientific theory is an explanation of an aspect of the natural world and universe that has been repeatedly tested and corroborated in accordance with the scientific method, using accepted protocols of observation, measurement, and evaluation of results. Where possible, theories are tested under controlled conditions in an experiment.[1][2] In circumstances not amenable to experimental testing, theories are evaluated through principles of abductive reasoning. Established scientific theories have withstood rigorous scrutiny and embody scientific knowledge.[3]"

So they are not JUST THEORIES
Another explanation is.

A law is a verified description of the universe and it's workings.

A theory is an experimentally verified or agreed explanation of the universe and it's workings.

A hypothesis is a proposed explanation.

The issue is, the popular use of theory is more like the scientific definition of hypothesis than it is a scientific theory.

Made worse by the fact scientists regularly use the word theory in its popular sense as well.

On moto g(6) plus using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back