Covers

Remove this Banner Ad

Recently released (2022) Carla dal Forno album has a cover of "The Garden Of Earthly Delights"

Original Version by The United States Of America (1968)

Last edited:
The Residents did many cover versions including whole albums of interpretations of artist's work
including amongst others, John Phillip Sousa, Hank Williams and Elvis Presley. Here's a live version
of The Residents performing Elvis' 'Burning Love'. Great dancing!

Don't know exactly if the Arthur Alexander version is the original as the youtube clip indicates, but it does pre-date the release of the Elvis version. I think Arthur Alexander and Elvis were working with the same bunch of musicians at the time and the songwriter Dennis Linde released his own version later in a straighter country style.

This AA version sounds a bit flat too me compared to the Elvis version but the horn section and rhythm is really slick, but then fades out too early. I do like the Elvis version but whenever I hear it now I associate it more with parodies of the overweight Elvis, and it cracks me up when he sings the "hunka hunka" part.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Cooke – The original

The Committments – I loved this version when I saw the movie.

George Benson Al Jarreau and Paul McCartney – McCartney kills it on vocals.

Morgan James – What a voice and very easy on the eyes.

Tedeschi Trucks Band with Sharon Jones – Love Derek’s guitar. Susan and Sharon are great together.

Jimmy Barnes – An Australian icon. I’m not sure who plays bass on this, Jimmy Haslip and Michael Hegerty are both credited and whoever it is sounds great.

Playing For Change – There are just so many amazing musicians around the world that you would never hear if it wasn’t for Playing For Change. Great concept. There is an encyclopedia of great covers on Playing For Change.

The Animals – I remember hearing this song when I was 13. Loved it then and still do.

Van Morrison - He’s been one of the great performers for 60 years and this is no exception.

Last edited:
Stefan Hauk. Incredibly good player. If you like covers, search his name in YouTube, has has some amazingly good covers and he's Australian.

Last edited:
Index - 8 Miles High.

Obscure garage take from 1967. The vocals are right down in the mix, enough to call this version amateurish, not that I consider that a bad thing. I love the Byrds version but there's something darker about this. Could be the use of sound fx in the intro of the helicopter that I immediately link to the horror images of Vietnam War that I was exposed to as a child when looking through pictures in Life and Time magazine, and something that sounds like a crowd at a Nazi Party rally.

RIP David Crosby.

Husker Du - 8 Miles High

Always thought this version was a bit of a mess with Bob Mould screaming his way through the indecipherable lyrics but the intro is great. Don't know why they didn't go for harmonies on the vocals when it was one of this groups strengths.

Shockabilly - 8 Miles High

The vocals this time are just laughably bad with Eugene Chadbourne's cartoonish voice but his final guitar solo is interesting and I also like the submerged backing rhythm of bass and drums/tapes that accompanies it.

Roxy Music also did a cover of Eight Miles High, it appears on their Flesh & Blood album. Bryan Ferry and Roxy Music have generally been pretty good at interpreting other artists songs, Let's Stick Together, Jealous Guy, A Hard Rains A-Gonna Fall to name a few, but it has to be the most disappointing song in their entire catalogue.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back