List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Witho in particular, and Rotham seem pretty well rated by the club, so would be surprised to see both delisted.
Guess it all depends on if we have other defensive options with Jones likely to be delisted.
Bazzo, Burgiel and Jordyn Baker (might be delisted too) the only developing defenders.
If we cut another 4 this year, we would be pretty light on unless we bring in more.

Bazzo and Burgiel no chance to be delisted. Baker possibly, he's shown glimpses of developing into a good lockdown back pocket.

It's hard to tell at this stage who's in the firing line, Trew is probably the only certainty at this stage.

Witho in particular, and Rotham seem pretty well rated by the club, so would be surprised to see both delisted.
Guess it all depends on if we have other defensive options with Jones likely to be delisted.
Bazzo and Burgiel the only developing defenders.
Jordyn Baker too but he might be delisted as well.
If we cut another 4 this year, we would be pretty light on unless we bring in more.
Agree positional need is important and for me rebounding from HBF is just about our weakest link. No one on our list is even B grade apart from Duggo and his disposal isn’t great at times either. Hough is obviously being used as more of an lockdown player. Ideally I want Travaglia and a KPD in the draft as well as Perryman and Buss which would address a lot of defensive issues. Cumming is another wing/HBF that I’d love to get.

Think if Culley shows remotely something this year, decent chance another team will poach him if we intend to re-rookie him.
Especially if we think of using the second pick or later.
I think that this has only happened very rarely.

Last edited:
People are on about finding a way to put someone on the LTI list if theyre not tracking to be back by round 18 or somewhere near there(Bazzo/Hewett), just for pick 3/4 in the MSD of all things, this effectively isnt much different if there is no intention of extending their contracts further anyway, at least in terms of list management.

If it came down to a decision of whether to keep Darling on the list for another year, or take advantage of a hypothetical trade to get an extra 1st/2nd round pick thats likely to get us a player we really want, its definitely worth thinking about.
Obviously wouldnt come even close to happening unless we were VERY active in FA/trade period acquiring players, its an extreme example for sure
No chance of Darling going anywhere.

Has a young family and has been with the club for 15 years. I am sure he would retire rather than move.

The boat of trading Darling if it was ever a flyer has long gone. He is very near retirement anyway. Not happening. Nowhere near worth a first or even second round pick now.

Last edited:
After hearing Luke Trainor on Gettable pretty much saying he wants to go to North Melbourne I reckon they will move heaven and earth to get him (GCS Lachie Weller areas). They will want Smillie with pick 1 but then I’d propose something like:

WCE OUT: Pick 3 (Trainor), F2
WCE IN: F1 (NM), Hardeman, pick 21

I’d then take the North F1, R4 and F4 to GCS and offer that for their 3 x R1s given their 4 academy players next year. No doubt haggling might be needed there.

Hit the draft with 7,10,20,21,23 and bring Riley home.
If we are offered future 1sts I’d rather we kept them for the WA talent pool next year.

Whilst the club isn’t reluctant to draft Vic or SA boys I think some high end local talent on our list to balance things up wouldn’t be a bad thing. If Nth offered there future first then it’s very likely it’s a top 3 pick.

Think if Culley shows remotely something this year, decent chance another team will poach him in the rookie if we intend to re-rookie him.

As soon as we delist him he could join anywhere as a delisted free agent could he? Wouldn't even need to go through the draft if someone else wanted him.

If we are offered future 1sts I’d rather we kept them for the WA talent pool next year.

Whilst the club isn’t reluctant to draft Vic or SA boys I think some high end local talent on our list to balance things up wouldn’t be a bad thing. If Nth offered there future first then it’s very likely it’s a top 3 pick.
Good strategy too, best WA draft pool in about a decade next year 👍. I can see that suggested initial North trade working just as well if we keep the F1.

Think if Culley shows remotely something this year, decent chance another team will poach him in the rookie if we intend to re-rookie him.
Not gonna lose sleep over that. Doubt he makes it at AFL level with his lack of leg speed/agility.

It’s funny because when we took him in the MSD he was being hyped up as the next Harley Reid, whereas Maric was a bit how do you do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not gonna lose sleep over that. Doubt he makes it at AFL level with his lack of leg speed/agility.

It’s funny because when we took him in the MSD he was being hyped up as the next Harley Reid, whereas Maric was a bit how do you do.
His initial sprint over 3m is pretty good. That's what he worked on prior to being drafted. It's his top speed that isn't anything to write home about. just needs to dispose of the ball quicker.

He's a very good field kick though.

Pick 3/4 and a Future 3rd for Bailey Smith and Busslinger.

Won't happen but it wouldn't be a bad idea imo. Dog's won't get a better offer, Bailey could probably do with a move away from Victoria and fits an age profile/need for us. Mid's in this draft aren't a sure thing to become A graders at AFL level.

Harley, Bailey Smith, Hewett, Ginbey would be elite

Pick 3/4 and a Future 3rd for Bailey Smith and Busslinger.

Won't happen but it wouldn't be a bad idea imo. Dog's won't get a better offer, Bailey could probably do with a move away from Victoria and fits an age profile/need for us. Mid's in this draft aren't a sure thing to become A graders at AFL level.
I know Dunkley was able to wean himself off his mother's teat and move to Brisbane but Smith went around with a medical certificate from his doctor to clubs, stating he couldn't move interstate for 'mental health' reasons.

Would be a stretch for him to move to Geelong, let alone Perth.

I know Dunkley was able to wean himself off his mother's teat and move to Brisbane but Smith went around with a medical certificate from his doctor to clubs, stating he couldn't move interstate for 'mental health' reasons.

Would be a stretch for him to move to Geelong, let alone Perth.

Yeh i know it's a long shot. Maybe the Harley 'factor' could help convince him.

Please god, no Bailey Smith. The West has already gone insane over Harley, I can't even imagine what they'd do with Bazlenka here as well.

Even though it was ultimately a losing effort, this was possibly the most outstanding individual performance of the season so far in the talent league. Anderson willed his team back into the contest almost single handedly in the second half, dominating stoppage, laying bone crunching tackles and even chipping in with a couple of goals.

His initial sprint over 3m is pretty good. That's what he worked on prior to being drafted. It's his top speed that isn't anything to write home about. just needs to dispose of the ball quicker.

He's a very good field kick though.
Yeah he could make it but it’s more fun writing off kids early imo

For those who like to follow the U18, it will be difficult to get much interest with this year's WA draft crop. Fear not, I am liking what I see about the bottom agers who will be draft eligible in 2025. Please do not be smart arses and post back that "Yeah - we always hear next year is better". My comments are about the WA prospects. I like to give a balance as the Vic bias can often be linked to a weaker than Vic Metro line up by some pundits as being a weak draft.

For those interested, Davo-27 and Smythe are 2 posters I regularly find to be the better judges of U18 football around the country and neither have any WA talent in the top 30 this year. Very rarely do we not have at least 2 or 3 top 20 chances.

Another poster that is doing well is Futbolista and I have posted his latest WA talent list. Keep an eye on these prospects with colts (note the PSA is is full swing so some clubs will be hit heavily with players required to play for their school as a priority).

Of particular note in Charlie Banfield - son of Drew. Plays for Scotch and Claremont and is starting to look draftable. Taller than Bailey and very accurate by foot - Drew has another one son after Charlie from memory but I don't know his age.

WA 2025 draft/2007 DOB Round 5 Colts/PSA Update

1-Toby Whan (SF/Inj-NA)
2-Blake Kelly (SD/PSA/Inj-NA)
3-Basil Hart (PT)
4-Matthew Becker (PT)

5-Marcus Cassidy (EP/PSA)
6-Fred Rodriguez (SF)
7-Wesley Walley Jnr (S)
8-Darcy Montgomery (S/Inj-NA)

9-Jadd Hill (P)
10-Harrison Heaton (SF/Inj-NA)
11-Cody Curtin (CL/PSA)
12-Joshua Nomlatyu (EF)
13-Jake Boniwell (EF/PSA)

14-Jimmy Aylmore (S/PSA/Inj-NA)
15-Rhys Hards (WP)
16-Charlie Banfield (CL/PSA)
17-Taj Longmuir (SF/PSA)
18-Dale Sutherland (P/PSA)
19-Luke Hallett (EP)
20-Judd Marcello (WP)
21-Oscar Willis (CL)
22-Sam Swadling (WP)
23-Jacob Farrow (WP)
24-Max Skerritt (SF/PSA)
25-Will York (PT)
26-Rhama Evans (EF/PSA)
27-Cooper Bewick (WP)
28-Luke Carrello (EF)
29-Cole Trinder (EP/PSA)
30-Max Hansen-Knarhoi (CL/PSA)
31-Cooper Ramsay (EF)
32-Cooper Shord (P)
33-Koby Evans (P)
34-Baxter Gray (P)
35-Sebastian Hewitt
(WP)
36-Matthew Petagna (EP/PSA)
37-Lochlain Carpenter (WP)
38-Noah Midani (PT)
39-Kaiden Summerell (EF)
40-Amon Ross (WP)
41-Millar Rank (SF)
42-Jacob Donald (SF)

43-Hudson Walker (S)
44-Peter Young (WP/Inj-NA)
45-Lucas Santich (S)
46-Jake Caton (EP)
47-Matthew May (SF/Inj-NA)
48-Nate Tomasini (P)
49-Rydn Rae Anthonysz (S)
50-Cale Scott (EF/PSA)

NA-Jamie Sidebottom (SD/Inj-NA)
NA-Tom Grylls (EF/PSA/Inj-NA)

Once we start to see more of these guys in Colts and in the carnival, we will get a better understanding if we want to trade or downgrade our first this year for another R1 in 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back