List Mgmt. Contract, Trade and Draft Discussions - 2024 Edition

Remove this Banner Ad

Last edited:
Yeah but has trouble reading it. As I said I could be wrong. I am all for giving him a go there while we are at the bottom. We need to work out whether he is actually any good. He continues to get very low possessions. He also isn’t that reliable with disposal. None of it’s great but I still hold hope he gets there

How does Chesser compare to whoever the other wingman is??

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wish Chesser showed more. I have been hopeful but hard to see how he gets there with such a low possession count playing wing

I’m one of his biggest advocates. But it’s getting to the point where it’s wearing thing, even on me.

Simmo didn’t sound like he was going to drop him in the presser, but I think some WAFL time as an inside mid might do him some good.

Feel like he’s been pigeon holed in to a role that just doesn’t suit him.

I dont understand why they dont try him inside. Seemed like Ginbey and Petrucelle got all the midfield time with Yeo and Kelly. Give Chesser a bit of time in there to bring him into the game.

We do know he's playing the dreaded defensive wing role or a variant of it?

Saw some excellent footage versus Freo. Chesser started on the wing. At the bounce he ran inside and picked up an inside mid. Noticed behind Chesser Brockman had run down from half forward to man the Freo winger.

Chesser takes on an inside defensive mid role that frees up one of Kelly, Yeo or Ried to attack. If those three beat the remaining two inside mids and a spare half back out the front we win the clearence.

Chesser and Brockman sweep down and behind our attacking inside mids.

So Chesser is playing his role. And getting defensive roles on inside mids. He also has the athletic abillty to get to more contests and actually defend. It's not a tagging role but a defensive sweeper role.

Chesser isn't played at HB at AFL level because he makes poor decisions and his skill execution has been lacking. That's not to say he can't be a back pocket or HB in the future and if he is to make it as a role player it's more than likely his position.

I am one of those that in general believes that by the time you get to AFL level you either have that innate sense for elite decision making or you don't. With more experience and development it does improve but it is incredibly rare for someone to go from average to elite let alone below average to elite.

Yeo went from average to elite in a couple of seasons at HB before going from average to elite in the midfield within 2 years. He is an exception to the rule and it also helped/helps that he is incredibly fierce, despises losing and is incredibly strong.

We also regularly see players who make great decisions at junior level struggle with the step up. Chris Masten was one of these. He was an elite kick of the football but made poor decisions in regards to his kicking and it took a long time before he came good. In the back half of his career before falling away he was the player JK, Lecca and Darling wanted delivering the ball to them the most on a lead. Yet for many years not only here but elsewhere he was derided as a poor kick because of what was in actuality his decision making.

Now because of his foot issues and also his youth I am willing to give Hewett a pass on his poor disposal efficiency last year. He looked rushed and he made quite a lot of poor decisions but he does have an elite kicking action. He needs time to develop and hopefully get used to the speed of the game and the play around him so that he can use that elite kicking as well as being a great burst inside/out mid for us.

I honestly reckon drop him back to the WAFL and give him 5 or 6 games in the middle and see what happens.
He's not learning much doing whatever it is he's doing now.

Chesser is learning alot playing his current role IMO. And other mids are benefiting from him sacrificing his game.

Saw some excellent footage versus Freo. Chesser started on the wing. At the bounce he ran inside and picked up an inside mid. Noticed behind Chesser Brockman had run down from half forward to man the Freo winger.

Chesser takes on an inside defensive mid role that frees up one of Kelly, Yeo or Ried to attack. If those three beat the remaining two inside mids and a spare half back out the front we win the clearence.

So Chesser is playing his role. And getting defensive roles on inside mids. He also has the athletic abillty to get to more contests and actually defend. It's not a tagging role but a defensive sweeper role.

It’s different for Windsor the Melb winger who has some plays made where he gets to use his run and carry ..

Would be good to see him get more involved though, 10 touches a game just isnt a lot. Our midfield in general doesnt get enough of it tbh. If thats his role though and the coaches are happy, then im happy

We do need to drop someone though if we are going to give the other kids a run, though they dont need to play so soon. Good teams dont rush their kids in.

Missed the first half but Chesser choice of option and then kicking in that third quarter was putrid. Which has me worried about trying him at HBF in the afl.

Then looked at the stats and he had 4 of his 6 stats in that 3rd quarter…. What was he doing in the first half?

Was the chance the chance to throw him in the CBAs today and they didn’t. Back to the WAFL.

Don’t understand why they have kept Trew and he’s been the most consistent in the WAFL and they didn’t give him a chance today. Those are the bad list management choices that are hurting.

It’s different for Windsor the Melb winger who has some plays made where he gets to use his run and carry ..

Yep.

And we dont use Chesser as an outlet target and feed the play through his position.

Get the feeling that he has missed alot of junior development, copped an injury year one and the club has decided to use him as a defensive winger to develop aspects of his game.

When the team plays well he will pop up with some nice cameo plays but just do his role. If our effort or structures fall down he will look poor.

Also if Trainor tests at 194cm at the combine I don't want to draft him unless he comes out of the champs and has a huge back end of the year playing midfield as he would have tested between 193-194 for 18+ months. That would suggest further growth is incredibly unlikely.

I see us as ending up with 3 and 25 come end of season. If a team really wants to jump up to that spot I would very much be agreeable to say pick 10 and 15 this year for those 2 picks. If we can't secure Busslinger Mraz and Travaglia would be tempting. I'm really, really interested to see Sam Lalor get back on the park and see how he progresses later on in the year. Unfortunately I will be overseas so will only get snippets.

Umm..... Do you believe that? Im confused

You remember NicNat was with us last year right?

I remember lots of things. I remember you pretending to be an insider. I remember you saying we were overlooking Culley. I remember you saying Rotham had signed with Adelaide, then deleting it a couple of hours later when it was announced he’d re-signed with us.

But I don’t remember NicNat being made inactive prior to the MSD last year, so I’m not sure what you’re getting at.

Also if Trainor tests at 194cm at the combine I don't want to draft him unless he comes out of the champs and has a huge back end of the year playing midfield as he would have tested between 193-194 for 18+ months. That would suggest further growth is incredibly unlikely.

I see us as ending up with 3 and 25 come end of season. If a team really wants to jump up to that spot I would very much be agreeable to say pick 10 and 15 this year for those 2 picks. If we can't secure Busslinger Mraz and Travaglia would be tempting. I'm really, really interested to see Sam Lalor get back on the park and see how he progresses later on in the year. Unfortunately I will be overseas so will only get snippets.
I would be very, very happy if we can get all three. Would cost 1R and 2R and hopefully have some change.

I remember lots of things. I remember you pretending to be an insider. I remember you saying we were overlooking Culley. I remember you saying Rotham had signed with Adelaide, then deleting it a couple of hours later when it was announced he’d re-signed with us.

But I don’t remember NicNat being made inactive prior to the MSD last year, so I’m not sure what you’re getting at.
GoEaglesGoSGIO = Tim Gossage confirmed.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missed the first half but Chesser choice of option and then kicking in that third quarter was putrid. Which has me worried about trying him at HBF in the afl.

Then looked at the stats and he had 4 of his 6 stats in that 3rd quarter…. What was he doing in the first half?

Was the chance the chance to throw him in the CBAs today and they didn’t. Back to the WAFL.

Don’t understand why they have kept Trew and he’s been the most consistent in the WAFL and they didn’t give him a chance today. Those are the bad list management choices that are hurting.
Everyone was putrid in that third term so harsh on the Chess.

Nicnat definitively wasnt made inactive....and that was a cause of consternation BC we could've selected another MSD pick

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nicnat definitively was made inactive....and that was a cause of consternation BC we could've selected another MSD pick

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app
He was...but not until the week after the draft.
But yes it was definitely discussed at the time. Not sure we missed out on much in the end though

Lalor played school footy this week and kicked a lazy 7. He will be a watch like Draper and FOS that either haven’t played or played much this year. Looking forward to the National champs.

At 10 and 15, who should we be targeting at that range? It seems little to far afield to get another mid...I am already wanting one of FOS, Smith or Draper. Sid Draper being the likely of the three depending if we improve our position.

For the average punter can anyone give a preview on the Mraz, Travaglia and even Lalor?

Today would have been perfect for to tell Chess he’s taking Harley’s position in the midfield rotation for 2 and a half quarters flat out then sub him. Missed a trick because that’s where his best position is

194/195 assume no growth isn’t that bad. Thats Barrass/Mcgovern? There aren’t that many 198cm key backs but 3 to 4cm isn’t that significant. The guy is rated as an elite kick. Let’s draft another mid!! Let’s hope we don’t need a defence because of Harley who doesn’t tackle

194/195 assume no growth isn’t that bad. Thats Barrass/Mcgovern? There aren’t that many 198cm key backs but 3 to 4cm isn’t that significant. The guy is rated as an elite kick. Let’s draft another mid!! Let’s hope we don’t need a defence because of Harley who doesn’t tackle
That’s not a shot at Harley - he is amazing but if it goes the other way every now and again we need a defence

Most teams seem to be chasing the 198cm+ KPDs these days, KPFs are getting taller so KPDs have to keep up. TB and Gov are listed at 197cm. As long as hes never the main KPD its not an issue. Geelong run 3 tall defenders, only one is over 193cm(DeKoning)
Buss is 198cm if we got him, ideally our second KPD is around that mark too to cover most forward lines.

At 10 and 15, who should we be targeting at that range? It seems little to far afield to get another mid...I am already wanting one of FOS, Smith or Draper. Sid Draper being the likely of the three depending if we improve our position.
I know everybody wants another mid, but do we really need another so soon? we have other more glaring issues in our list id have thought. Assuming we get Buss to sort our KPD deficiency, we still need a pure winger, and good half backs more than another mid. We still havent seen Hewett this year, and have the likes of Hall, Culley, Burgiel, Johnston who havent played yet. Going to be a big squeeze on mid spots when Hewett is healthy.

We have a potential f/s midfielder coming through for the 2025 draft too who could be a winner, but very early days

I know everybody wants another mid, but do we really need another so soon? we have other more glaring issues in our list id have thought. Assuming we get Buss to sort our KPD deficiency, we still need a pure winger, and good half backs more than another mid. We still havent seen Hewett this year, and have the likes of Hall, Culley, Burgiel, Johnston who havent played yet. Going to be a big squeeze on mid spots when Hewett is healthy.

We have a potential f/s midfielder coming through for the 2025 draft too who could be a winner, but very early days
Personally I think we have alot of glaring spots in the list that need to be drafted for, and usually 80% of the top 10 is reserved for midfielders.

And I know we keep listing the following blokes but usually 50% just dont make the cut, meaning a couple of Hewett, Ginbey, Culley, Burgiel, Hall and Johnston. I am going on the limb to say Reid, Long and Hough have what it takes and with the others I hope this is not the case and they all come on.

Also, who is the F/S for 2025?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back