Autopsy Come and stay for the Hayward show 48 point win vs Fremantle.

Remove this Banner Ad

We're resposible for 4 or 5 of those wins? We broke that streak when they had won something like 30 in a row, then we won 3 in a row again a few years later? Seem to have done ok there.
So for the rest of us mere mortals, it's about as rare as a Donald Trump apology.

I couldn't disagree more.

McInerney ought to take a leaf out of Rowy's book or JJ's and focus all his aggression at winning the ball or keeping it off the opposition. I get frustrated with McInerney. He's clearly talented but he comes across as childish off field while he pretends to be tough on-field, mouthing off and generally acting like an arrogant little s**t. Too many times he's given away momentum through a lack of discipline.

He needs to look around at his mature teammates who just get on with the grind. If Jordan Clark hadn't been so rattled by JJ's close attention he could have punished us on turnover and hit a Freo player 70m out in the corridor with our defence out of sorts.

McInerney was bloody lucky Clark fluffed his lines and gifted him a chance at redemption. I expect it'll be brought up when they review the game, if it wasn't at half time. We won't always have the luxury of an opposition who suffered from a collective myopia (and/or diplopia) every time they looked goalwards.

i agree mcinerney made a bit of a goose of himself, and was lucky we weren't punished, and even luckier that he immediately got a chance to redeem himself ... and he does deserve credit for having the presence of mind to get on with the game, not be caught dwelling on his mistake or posturing and carrying on with any more faux tough guy rubbish, which he still does do a bit too often
wicks would be a good example of a teammate who has similar "rush of blood" tendencies but has managed to learn how to control them during games
but overall, i don't want mcinerney to change how he plays the game ... but he does need to cut out those moments of macho crap and smartarsery

sorry lurking on the board. serong is at that lachie neale stage of his development. lachie broke the record for most disposals in a season whilst at freo at similar age. but sides didn't care. paid more attention to fyfe, mundy and steven hill.

freo's game plan is built around gaining territory. then using our defence to prevent anything from happening the other way. we used to be a methodical side at doing this. however, we seem to trying to speed this up.

thus, if you wanna slow us down just sit on high meter's gained players such as young and clark.
I remember a Freo Sydney game back in 2016 (and yes, I did have to go and look up the exact year and round) where four players on the ground got more than 40 possessions. Mundy and Neale for Freo, and Kennedy and Hannebery for Sydney. Mundy was pretty good in that game, clearly the Dockers' best. But I remember thinking at the time that Neale's game was possibly the worst 40 possession game I was ever likely to watch. My opinion of him as a footballer now is actually enhanced by the way he has learned to make his possessions count in the second half of his career. He's now a very fine user of the ball as well as a ball magnet.

I reckon Serong's ball use has been better in the Freo games I've seen this year (which admittedly is only a handful) than in previous seasons. But he's still not especially damaging. Neale isn't the only young ball magnet who has become a highly skilled footballer. I also remember a young Toby Greene running around in the Giants' midfield getting the ball at will but doing very little with it. And now look at the damaging footballer he has turned into. Can Serong follow a similar trajectory to these two (and others?) Tune in in five or six years time.

Oh, and for what it's worth, that 2016 game of the multi-40 disposal games was one that the Swans won by 90 points.

I remember a Freo Sydney game back in 2016 (and yes, I did have to go and look up the exact year and round) where four players on the ground got more than 40 possessions. Mundy and Neale for Freo, and Kennedy and Hannebery for Sydney. Mundy was pretty good in that game, clearly the Dockers' best. But I remember thinking at the time that Neale's game was possibly the worst 40 possession game I was ever likely to watch. My opinion of him as a footballer now is actually enhanced by the way he has learned to make his possessions count in the second half of his career. He's now a very fine user of the ball as well as a ball magnet.

I reckon Serong's ball use has been better in the Freo games I've seen this year (which admittedly is only a handful) than in previous seasons. But he's still not especially damaging. Neale isn't the only young ball magnet who has become a highly skilled footballer. I also remember a young Toby Greene running around in the Giants' midfield getting the ball at will but doing very little with it. And now look at the damaging footballer he has turned into. Can Serong follow a similar trajectory to these two (and others?) Tune in in five or six years time.

Oh, and for what it's worth, that 2016 game of the multi-40 disposal games was one that the Swans won by 90 points.

i reckon he will. but will take time. combination of skill improvement, decision making improvement and ame sense all take time to build.

hes currently 23. i'm thinking he gets there by 25 or 26. he reminds me a lot of young lachie neale or even peter bell. so i'm betting he does.

i reckon he will. but will take time. combination of skill improvement, decision making improvement and ame sense all take time to build.

hes currently 23. i'm thinking he gets there by 25 or 26. he reminds me a lot of young lachie neale or even peter bell. so i'm betting he does.
The best thing Lachie Neale did for his football was leave Fremantle. All he was ever going to be at Freo is Fyfe and Mundy's backup. I do agree about Serong, he's 2 - 3 years away from being a match winner by himself. The only way Freo challenge now is with a couple of elite outside mids he can feed the ball out to as the forward line is okay on the lead but aren't going to take big pack marks regularly.

Oh stop it. :thumbsdown:
Look forward to you noting when he genext gets doughnuts in over a half. But of course you will not.

Maybe I’ll do an autopsy when the be-Wilbered performance reverts to norm and it is too too sad for you to write about.

I dont think it's quite true that Fremantle were just very inaccurate and that we couldn't miss.

Below is a shot chart that shows that we were generally able to restrict them to shots from distance or from a pretty tight angle. I think most of their shots from general play were really rushed because we put on very good pressure. Particularly in the first half when our big lead was established.

With us our shots are either from the square, more centrally and closer in.

Sure I think in general they might have kicked a few more, and us a few less on a different night. But given the difficulty of the shots each team was able to generate I think we'd probably still have a pretty sizeable lead. Rather than an 8 goal win it could have been 4 or 6 but still pretty comfortable.

Reckon Sir Dane is a master of forcing Oppo to kick for goal from difficult positions.

Why does Chad insist on bouncing the ball with two steps of getting it? It's a very dangerous habit that I'd like to see him get out of his game.

Agree with Roberts. That's two poor performances in a row.
I feel he will be dropped along with Francis (assuming McCartin returns).
That's not going to help Parker get back in though as I can't see anyone else losing their spot and Robert's role is not suitable for Parker of course. Campbell likely to come in for Roberts.

Why does Chad insist on bouncing the ball with two steps of getting it? It's a very dangerous habit that I'd like to see him get out of his game.
We discussed this in Pugnacious family match review too. Our theory is he takes the bounce when the opportunity is there to give him the next 15m clear to run/evade.

Which is actually quite clever when it works but looks a bit silly/risky in slippery conditions or when he takes 3 bounces in about 8m.

Chad also has this weird short step kicking style which looks like it would have no power, and yet bombed one from outside 50 this week.

In the wet too, have to be careful with a guy like Chad, don't want him to doubt his instincts, that burst from a pack is awesome, and what he is doing works.

I want him to go for it, same as I want Papley to go for goal

We discussed this in Pugnacious family match review too. Our theory is he takes the bounce when the opportunity is there to give him the next 15m clear to run/evade.

Which is actually quite clever when it works but looks a bit silly/risky in slippery conditions or when he takes 3 bounces in about 8m.

Chad also has this weird short step kicking style which looks like it would have no power, and yet bombed one from outside 50 this week.
So what is a pugnacious ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

i'm curious. what do you guys think of us? a board member said we have a bottom 6 forward line. but a top 4 defense and midfield.

but, might be a bit simplistic. have at it
Treacy will be an absolute gun. Once he gets some decent supply he will get off the leash , cracking set shot as well. Serong is very good but needs a partner in crime in the middle. Jackson is a good ruck who I think is a bit better as forward than he's been given credit for.
There is a decent core there for you., Fyfe needs to call it a day at the end of season and probably Walters and O'Meara.

That's not going to help Parker get back in though as I can't see anyone else losing their spot and Robert's role is not suitable for Parker of course. Campbell likely to come in for Roberts.
So what part of this do you disagree with #bedford

Serong is very good but needs a partner in crime in the middle.
He's playing alongside Andrew Brayshaw who, a couple of seasons ago, was voted MVP by the AFLPA. He's still playing OK, but at nothing like the level he did during that season. I'm not sure why he's dropped off (or not continued to improve, given he's still a young player).

He's also got Young alongside him, who is quickly emerging as a Dawson-type midfielder.

They could probably do with a Chad type in there too. (I hope that doesn't give them any ideas.) They've got speed in the back-half and forward half. (I like Walker and Frederick.) But not much in the middle. Serong himself is agile and nippy, but not a powerful line breaker.

He's playing alongside Andrew Brayshaw who, a couple of seasons ago, was voted MVP by the AFLPA. He's still playing OK, but at nothing like the level he did during that season. I'm not sure why he's dropped off (or not continued to improve, given he's still a young player).

He's also got Young alongside him, who is quickly emerging as a Dawson-type midfielder.

They could probably do with a Chad type in there too. (I hope that doesn't give them any ideas.) They've got speed in the back-half and forward half. (I like Walker and Frederick.) But not much in the middle. Serong himself is agile and nippy, but not a powerful line breaker.
I like Frederick too and am surprised they don't use him more. Quick, agile, good vision.

brayshaw has dropped off because teams put work into him. he won that MVP off being very hard-working midfielder. he would run well defensively and was noted for his tackling. then would be heavily involved in transitin play. he was never a contested player per say. if i were compare him it would actually be errol.

it should be noted he has dropped off statistically. he averaging approx 28 disposals a game. what dropped off is impact.

opposition teams identify that fremantle weakness is our effective ball movement in our forward half. thus cutting out players like clark and brayshaw becomes a must.

teams initially tagged him, which took him out of a game but also required the oppo team to lose a midfielder. eventually, they moved to a model of having the opposition gun play on him. thus, he would be forced to push deep defensively. start from a further back position when getting invovled. they would mind him more on transition. resulting in freo taking the more open option in serong and fyfe,..etc players who lack the pop and hurt a brayshaw can do. rotate more players on him to tire him out etc.

Serong is very good but needs a partner in crime in the middle.

it might be that serong needs to develop into a damaging player for him to get a partner in crime. once that happens then they can't sit on brayshaw.

but the criticism is fair. personally, i think that development will happen. hayden young is very good. but doesn't actually kick a lot (which is madness). plus we lack a 2nd wingman and rely upon jaegar o'meara. essentially chapman can play wing but missed all of last year and missed pre-season and early season this year. expect him to move into midfield as early as the next five games

brayshaw has dropped off because teams put work into him. he won that MVP off being very hard-working midfielder. he would run well defensively and was noted for his tackling. then would be heavily involved in transitin play. he was never a contested player per say. if i were compare him it would actually be errol.

it should be noted he has dropped off statistically. he averaging approx 28 disposals a game. what dropped off is impact.

opposition teams identify that fremantle weakness is our effective ball movement in our forward half. thus cutting out players like clark and brayshaw becomes a must.

teams initially tagged him, which took him out of a game but also required the oppo team to lose a midfielder. eventually, they moved to a model of having the opposition gun play on him. thus, he would be forced to push deep defensively. start from a further back position when getting invovled. they would mind him more on transition. resulting in freo taking the more open option in serong and fyfe,..etc players who lack the pop and hurt a brayshaw can do. rotate more players on him to tire him out etc.

it might be that serong needs to develop into a damaging player for him to get a partner in crime. once that happens then they can't sit on brayshaw.

but the criticism is fair. personally, i think that development will happen. hayden young is very good. but doesn't actually kick a lot (which is madness). plus we lack a 2nd wingman and rely upon jaegar o'meara. essentially chapman can play wing but missed all of last year and missed pre-season and early season this year. expect him to move into midfield as early as the next five games
Terrific analysis.

Lets drop Roberts who was fine actually on Friday, the ball barely was in his quarters, his opponent did nothing. Then to compound it lets bring in Campbell who is dreadful as a defender and has been found out to be ordinary in this position.

McCartin for Francis, only change.

Lets drop Roberts who was fine actually on Friday, the ball barely was in his quarters, his opponent did nothing. Then to compound it lets bring in Campbell who is dreadful as a defender and has been found out to be ordinary in this position.

McCartin for Francis, only change.
Roberts is copping unrealistic criticism

Imo he has been quieter but still effective in the past two games.

Roberts is copping unrealistic criticism

Imo he has been quieter but still effective in the past two games.

Still got it 12 times and his opponent did nothing, why people want to change our defence which is the top 3 all season long I'll never know. It will just be McCartin in for Francis, that's it.

It seems it was difficult to find a whipping boy last weekend, and panic began to set in among Bigfooty posters.

To settle the horses, Roberts was dragged out for a ceremonial whipping.

Gunna help the Board out on the whipping boy front -

That was the most pathetic 4 goal performance I have seen. Let’s incinerate the Hay Barn.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back