News Col Hutchinson's top 50 Geelong players

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I aint missed a GFC game in 11 years...

And im getting up at all hours with no sleep and all of things to deal with.

What's your point? Are you better than people like Col and myself who support the club in our own way?

Does it make yourself feel better to put other people down like that?

Go Catters
im sorry but we shouldnt be glorifying the behaviour of people who attend every game for multiple decades. The person either hasnt found other things in life or at many points he has skipped more important family, friend and work commitments to watch football live. Its not appropriate to celebrate this.

im sorry but we shouldnt be glorifying the behaviour of people who attend every game for multiple decades. The person either hasnt found other things in life or at many points he has skipped more important family, friend and work commitments to watch football live. Its not appropriate to celebrate this.

That's clearly your view. Fair enough to think so, of course.

What I find bemusing is your need to denigrate the man instead. I truly fail to see the worth in that.

That's not very fair
That others didn't think of it?
I found the Internet soulless when reading about our players. Talking to Col made me feel justified in what I thought I knew about most players, but moreover, a great insight into some that were before my time.

I find the Milburn one a bit weird.
Pretty special player, a true utility if ever we've had one. Some forget his critical role in defence after we lost Matty Egan, playing tall effortlessly, yet also being able to amass 30+ possessions frequently as a mid.
I'd have him ahead of Corey, just, but not ahead of Chappy, but that's the beauty of this list- we are all reminiscing about the players we love. Nobody is right or wrong, Malthouse excluded from such discussions.

Pretty special player, a true utility if ever we've had one. Some forget his critical role in defence after we lost Matty Egan, playing tall effortlessly, yet also being able to amass 30+ possessions frequently as a mid.
I'd have him ahead of Corey, just, but not ahead of Chappy, but that's the beauty of this list- we are all reminiscing about the players we love. Nobody is right or wrong, Malthouse excluded from such discussions.
He was great and I loved him but I couldn't have him above Bews, Chappy, Bairstow.
But yeah I agree, no-one is right or wrong, that's way these things are enjoyable.
I liked he had Scarlo at No.3. I also thought he was our best in the golden era.
Best player I've seen for us bar Snr.

Goggin was my favourite Cats player as a kid, even ahead of Polly. None better pound for pound- that's what they were back then- I love Selwood too, but he does a few things that detract from his excellence and leadership if we're really going to nit-pick.
Nevertheless , a triple premiership player, and our longest serving captain gives him a fair CV.
I'm more aghast about his placement of GAJ.
goggin was a bit over rated.. sel for me.

goggin was a bit over rated.. sel for me.
Who overrated him? I can say for a fact I had the privilege to speak to 'Triple Brownlow Medalist' recently, and he highly rated BG- his most difficult opponent. Goggin did win a B & F AFTER The Big Cat departed- he was not a made player by Polly; got his own ball and his delivery to Wade was a major reason he had over 1000 goals

Who overrated him? I can say for a fact I had the privilege to speak to 'Triple Brownlow Medalist' recently, and he highly rated BG- his most difficult opponent. Goggin did win a B & F AFTER The Big Cat departed- he was not a made player by Polly; got his own ball and his delivery to Wade was a major reason he had over 1000 goals

We are in the area of opinion .... if we do it on stats compare the figures sel has him covered and has done it for longer...

I like that you aren't even open to the possibility that he just has his life in sufficient order to support his chosen passion...

That others didn't think of it?
I found the Internet soulless when reading about our players. Talking to Col made me feel justified in what I thought I knew about most players, but moreover, a great insight into some that were before my time.

Now isn't that a delayed reply, I don't think I was being serious back in 2016.

Between the rounds I was always asking my mum (who is massive cats fan) about the players of the 60s and 70s, you just had the better expert witness.

Overall I thought it was a great experience researching players most of whom plied their craft well before I was born

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now isn't that a delayed reply, I don't think I was being serious back in 2016.

Between the rounds I was always asking my mum (who is massive cats fan) about the players of the 60s and 70s, you just had the better expert witness.

Overall I thought it was a great experience researching players most of whom plied their craft well before I was born
I'd already made a reply , but couldn't resist tonight.
And I knew your intent back then.

Well I'm not fixated on the numbers but when they add and support my feelings then im happy to use them. we are talking about two players at the sharp end of the list and Goggins football was a long time ago. Im not sure hoe he would go in todays game...a bit like Polly actually.
Exactly like Polly though. You can only rate the players from their own eras. Polly would be the height of Joel Corey, 191 cm- no way would he be as competitive today. But Goggin would still go in head first and come out with the ball. He did pro sprinting over summer so was lightning quick, and his kicking skills would not go astray today.

Exactly like Polly though. You can only rate the players from their own eras. Polly would be the height of Joel Corey, 191 cm- no way would he be as competitive today. But Goggin would still go in head first and come out with the ball. He did pro sprinting over summer so was lightning quick, and his kicking skills would not go astray today.

like who today?...

Polly today would have to be Cripps.

Goggin .. in todays contested footy ..I dont think he would have been quite as successful Im thinking a Darcy Parish type (ooo that might get a response )... about the same height as Gregson so his height would not be an issue.

like who today?...

Polly today would have to be Cripps.

Goggin .. in todays contested footy ..I dont think he would have been quite as successful Im thinking a Darcy Parish type (ooo that might get a response )... about the same height as Gregson so his height would not be an issue.
But Polly was a leaping tallish ruckman for his era- hitouts, marking, following the ball, handballer extraordinaire, he has to be compared with a similar ruckman who has something extra- NicNat maybe, but he can't be compared on a physical basis. Almost futile isn't it.

And because your view is different to his your first option is to belittle.

Says a lot.

And I also luv how you immediately assume he and I have neglected my family and friends by supporting the club.

You, are a pompus stuck up @#%#@%. How dare you question the position of where I place the importance of my family to me. Who the **** are you to tell people what is and is not appropriate?

Best you **** off for a while.

GO Catters

Last edited:
Its my thing. Cant really explain it. Being OS for so long is part of it. And i certainly dont expect anyone else to do it. But I also dont criticise them for not doing it.

And thats the point. Each should be able to support in their own way without being critcised for it.

Go Catters
Yeah good point. I rarely get to watch games live even on the TV, and might get to one game a year. But I am passionate and have insight. AND I do defer a bit to those who watch all the time, simply if nothing else because they put in the hard yards and get to see things I don't.

Brilliant player, much tainted by firstly going to the Bluebags and secondly Pyramid.
Clearly in the best 22 I've seen in that same 50-60 years Hutchinson covers.

Extraordinarily consistent, probably listed in our best 6 in a higher proportion of his games than any other Geelong 100+ game player in that period.

In assessing him or other players as footballers, I couldn't give a rats about their lives outside football.
I don't have to like them, they just have to play good footy for Geelong.
Footballers aren't role models, except for the mentally challenged.

Should yes, the reality is that’s not the case. Look up for evidence.
Yeah I know... hence my reactionary post to it.

Glad you saw it.

GO Catters

Saw this on the Addy website and thought it might interest a few, they are releasing 10 players each day until the top 10 on Saturday

50. Leo Turner
49. Andrew Bews
48. James Kelly
47. Mark Bairstow
46. Barry Stoneham
45. Jack Collins
44. Joe Slater
43. Jimmy Wilson
42. Paul Chapman
41. Mark Bos
40 Bruce Nankervis
39 Joel Corey
38 Peter Walker
37 Lindsay White
36 Lloyd Hagger
35 Darren Milburn
34 Hughie McLean
33 Michael Turner
32 Tommy Quinn
31 Alex Eason
30 Steve Johnson
29 Peter Pianto
28 David Clarke snr
27 Cameron Ling
26 Cliff Rankin
25 Les Hardiman
24 Bill Eason
23 Fred Flanagan
22 Bob Davis
21 Bernie Smith
20 Peter Burns
19 Henry Young
18 Edward 'Carji' Greeves
17 Gary Ablett jnr
16 Teddy Rankin
15 John 'Sam' Newman
14 Dick Grigg
13 Paul Couch
12 George 'Jocka' Todd
11 Ian Nankervis
10 Jimmy Bartel
9 Corey Enright
8 Garry Hocking
7 Joel Selwood
6 Reg Hickey
5 Doug Wade
4 Bill Goggin
3 Matthew Scarlett
2 Graham 'Polly' Farmer
1 Gary Ablett snr
I would have loved to have seen Col's preamble to this list. Were there any criteria? Based on number of games?
1-4 are standouts, as was GAJ; he would have had his reasons for this list.

Has to be in consideration though. Three Best and Fairest awards is impressive. Not many have done that. For comparison Bartel, Kelly, Johnson, and Chapman have one between them.
Clarke was an undoubted star. He deserved his place in the Cats GOAT team pre 2000.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back