Teams Chicago Bears - Monsters of the Midway

Remove this Banner Ad

Stoked to nab Odunze at 9 after the inevitable at pick one.
I’m actually feeling positive which I’m sure the Bears will change by round 5

How can you not want a punter after this.

Like it or not, the Bears had a pretty major punting problem last year.

In Net Yards per Punt, Gill ranked 37th out of 37 qualifying punters.

But as a directional punter, he also ranked 30th out of 33 punters in % of punts downed inside the 20.

I get that drafting a Punter (who Dane Brugler gave a 4th round grade) feels like a stretch, but I expect Tory to bring a legitimate edge to the team -- a good punt will flip a negative game script to neutral (punting from your own endzone -> opponent's 30) or flip a neutral game script to positive (punting from your 45 -> opponent's 5).

Tory Taylor should be a boon to Chicago's defense -- less drives starting from inside your own 50 means less points on the board, and more drives starting from inside the opponent's 10 means more chances at big plays like safeties and takeaways.

But as a directional punter, he also ranked 30th out of 33 punters in % of punts downed inside the 20.

I get that drafting a Punter (who Dane Brugler gave a 4th round grade) feels like a stretch, but I expect Tory to bring a legitimate edge to the team -- a good punt will flip a negative game script to neutral (punting from your own endzone -> opponent's 30) or flip a neutral game script to positive (punting from your 45 -> opponent's 5).

Tory Taylor should be a boon to Chicago's defense -- less drives starting from inside your own 50 means less points on the board, and more drives starting from inside the opponent's 10 means more chances at big plays like safeties and takeaways.
I watched some of his highlight footage and not only does he kick with both feet, he also at times kicks the ball holding it like a drop punt as opposed to the torpedo punt style of kick

Also …. Can’t find it online bar the beats official site (and can’t copy it) but watch the English bloke who announces the Taylor pick on draft day troll the fk out of the Detroit crowd 😂

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Even though the team ranked last in net yards average with 38, the best team averaged 45. So 7 extra yards I would think isn’t a game changer. And it would only be about 3 or 4 yards worse than the average mark.

I still like the pick because he’s a aussie. Hopefully he becomes the goat for punters and we lead the league by some margin in average net punting yards.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back