Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Dixon’s opponents have been in coaches votes 3 times this year.
Which is ridiculous because it rarely happens.
Yep.

Its almost like the coaches exploited a weakness of Hinkley's coaching ability in Charlie, it worked in a strong way towards the win and they decided to pat themselves on the back and give the players some votes.

If I'm going to defend Todd and Mitch on the basis that their performance is hindered by our gameplan (such as it is), it is only fair that I extend that to Dixon too.

There are two issues here.

1. Dixon gets kicked to more often
2. The gameplan of bombing it in long suits the skillset of Dixon but not so much Marshall and Georgiades.

He has definitely been seeing the ball better this year and taking more marks.

Clearly has the most goals as well.

View attachment 1981710
The guy with the highest goals per game average was left out last weekend, for reasons. And his last game consisted of 18 kicks, 1 handball, 8 marks and 3.1.

Last edited:
The guy with the highest goals per game average was left out last weekend, for reasons. And his last game consisted of 18 kicks, 1 handball, 89 marks and 3.1.
You may also recognise this as being the same amount of goals as Jed McEntee has kicked in his last 10 games.

Nah.

We’re targeting him an extraordinary amount for mediocre return inbetween his opponent having near bog games.

Georgiades has been our best kf this season.

Doing far more with his chances than Charlie.
Dixon is also one of the most targeted KPFs in the league by oppo defenders. Constantly being mauled by at least two defenders while the ball is being bombed on his head. If our other talls received the same attention and had the same delivery their returns would start to look pretty damn mediocre too. More mediocre in some cases.

That we do this speaks volumes about the stupidity of our coach and our gameplan. As a criticism of Dixon's efficiency it doesn't hold water.

Dixon is also one of the most targeted KPFs in the league by oppo defenders. Constantly being mauled by at least two defenders while the ball is being bombed on his head. If our other talls received the same attention and had the same delivery their returns would start to look pretty damn mediocre too. More mediocre in some cases.

That we do this speaks volumes about the stupidity of our coach and our gameplan. As a criticism of Dixon's efficiency it doesn't hold water.

The bomb it to Dixon is largely a side effect of hinkleys gameplan yes.. but what happened when Dixon was out for an extended period? Were we kicking it to Todd v a maul?

Why did Todd find so many more 1 on 1s in 2022 than we ever see Dixon in despite the exact same gameplan ?

I suggest that Dixon leans into the bomb it into Dixon gameplan fully, and encourages the mauling he receives by parking himself and looking to wrestle blokes rather than going for the ball first.

No other teams kf is getting mauled like Dixon, because no other teams kf is as tactically stupid, and I can’t stress this enough, when I say tactically stupid I mean 1 brain cell working in his head kind of tactically stupid.

If Dixon had 2 brain cells firing he would be the equal of any kf of this generation bar Franklin.

The bomb it to Dixon is largely a side effect of hinkleys gameplan yes.. but what happened when Dixon was out for an extended period? Were we kicking it to Todd v a maul?

Why did Todd find so many more 1 on 1s in 2022 than we ever see Dixon in despite the exact same gameplan ?

I suggest that Dixon leans into the bomb it into Dixon gameplan fully, and encourages the mauling he receives by parking himself and looking to wrestle blokes rather than going for the ball first.

No other teams kf is getting mauled like Dixon, because no other teams kf is as tactically stupid, and I can’t stress this enough, when I say tactically stupid I mean 1 brain cell working in his head kind of tactically stupid.

If Dixon had 2 brain cells firing he would be the equal of any kf of this generation bar Franklin.
While there is some validity to that, I'd have to disagree to a large extent. Defender on his hammer, peeled off intercept marker in front. Maybe one more coming in from the side for good measure. His run, such as he still has, is often cut off. He usually parks himself because he has read the flight of the ball and is at the drop.

Charlie is not the sharpest tool in the shed and maybe not the thinking man's KPF. However he is playing exactly the way he is being coached and within his current levels of fitness.

Dixon is the most targeted kf in the league, more than curnow, Cameron etc and the obvious flip side of that is our other kfs by definition must be some of the least targeted kfs in the league.

That only holds true if each team has the same number of inside 50's and time with the ball in their forward half. However we have more inside 50s than anyone bar Brisbane and more time than anyone with the ball in our forward line.

Last edited:

Well when we're kicking to Marshall, its a bit hard for Todd to let his man float across and be the extra defender grappling with the forward target.

Its amazing how often its Todd's opponent that is the extra defender that is wrestling with Dixon, while Todd himself doesn't impact the contest at all.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

While there is some validity to that, I'd have to disagree to a large extent. Defender on his hammer, peeled off intercept marker in front. Maybe one more coming in from the side for good measure. His run, such as he still has, is often cut off. He usually parks himself because he has read the flight of the ball and is at the drop.

Charlie is not the sharpest tool in the shed and maybe not the thinking man's KPF. However he is playing exactly the way he is being coached and within his current levels of fitness.

That only holds true if each team has the same number of inside 50's and time with the ball in their forward half. However we have more inside 50s than anyone bar Brisbane and more time than anyone with the ball in our forward line.

Yes it is coaching that we bomb it high to Dixon

But it’s Dixon’s moronic idea to look for contact and wrestle the nearest bloke (and try to grab the ball at the last second).

He’s literally the only kf in the league that looks to wrestle first and go for the ball second. Hawkins, Cameron, Daniher, all these blokes get caught in the same high ball situations tonnes of times (just not nearly as often as Dixon) and don’t resort to wrestling first.

They go for the ball first.

But it’s Dixon’s moronic idea to look for contact and wrestle the nearest bloke (and try to grab the ball at the last second).

He’s literally the only kf in the league that looks to wrestle first and go for the ball second. Hawkins, Cameron, Daniher, all these blokes get caught in the same high ball situations tonnes of times (just not nearly as often as Dixon) and don’t resort to wrestling first.

The rest actually use a bit of craft to subtly body the defender to impart of bit of imbalance or weight shift

Then they go for the ball

Charlie's about a subtle as a house brick

So in the couple of seconds that the ball is descending on his head but is still out of reach what is he supposed to do? More often than not there is a defender blocking his run. He can stand there and hope his opponent doesn't make body contact with him. Run in small evasive circles. Or get body position on his opponent.

If any of those other guys are able to run at the ball without needing to get body position on their opponent then I'd argue they aren't being put in the same situation.

Perhaps the truth is in the middle.

Charlie on Friday Night when Tom Stewart runs off of Jed McEntee and takes his 19th intercept mark

Dragon Ball Super GIF by Toei Animation

Why do we feel the need to disrespect our older players that have given good service but are now in their final year and battling it out physically. Happened with Tom Jonas last year, and it’s happening with Dixon but on another level. It’s actually disgraceful how he is treated.

If you don’t want Dixon on the list, well that’s on the list manager and coach. However, it’s still pretty obvious he is not only best 22 but our best key forward.

He could’ve retired I suppose but he is clearly still a required player so why would you?

Why don’t we spend more time criticising those players in their prime that underperforming, their are quite a few.

We focus on young fringe players or the guys on the way out but the reason we are where we are this year (taking the coach out of the equation) is we could barely name one player in their prime that has actually improved this year.

This bullshit about your 19th - 23rd selected players are the most important is nonsense. You need your guns firing, your top 5-10 and we don’t have that right now. Most of them have gone backwards.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Last edited:
A self confessed "car lover who happens to be good at footy'. Dixon called supporters "stupid" and said our opinions "were not even worth two cents" when we dared to critcise the great Ken Hinkley. He's always "banged up" or injured, The Hinkley "I need you Charlie!' at last years B&F. I won't even touch the forward craft. It's rather wearing.

Last edited:
So in the couple of seconds that the ball is descending on his head but is still out of reach what is he supposed to do? More often than not there is a defender blocking his run. He can stand there and hope his opponent doesn't make body contact with him. Run in small evasive circles. Or get body position on his opponent.

If any of those other guys are able to run at the ball without needing to get body position on their opponent then I'd argue they aren't being put in the same situation.

Perhaps the truth is in the middle.

No other kf in the league looks to wrestle their opponents first and foremost and let’s not pretend that none of them ever face multiple opponents. Sure it’s not as packed , as often, but there’s still times when it is, and they still don’t hug their defender like a long lost lover when it happens.

Dixon is a damn good player playing dumb as heck football that plays into the hands of his opponents.

it’s still pretty obvious he is not only best 22 but our best key forward.

He could’ve retired I suppose but he is clearly still a required player so why would you?

Why don’t we spend more time criticising those players in their prime that underperforming, their are quite a few.

We focus on young fringe players or the guys on the way out but the reason we are where we are this year (taking the coach out of the equation) is we could barely name one player in their prime that has actually improved this year.

This bullshit about your 19th - 23rd selected players are the most important is nonsense. You need your guns firing, your top 5-10 and we don’t have that right now. Most of them have gone backwards.

Dixon is not even close to our best kf this year.

It’s been Mitch and it’s not even close.

Dixon has been our best kf for most if not all his time here (before this year) and bringing him here still was absolutely the right thing to do 100%. I’m doing that trade again every day of the week (even if we got bullied at the trade table and should have held firm against a team that had walked Dixon out the door).

But he’s finished and he’s quite literally the worst performing developed kf in the league this season.

Like lycetts end Dixon has given his direct opponents their season best , hell maybe even career best games. Pearce will not top that performance this year. Keane may not top that performance again in his career.

He’s done. He will have a resurgence here and there, he’s too seasoned a player not too, but overall he’s doing more harm than good right now.

Of course if we had a coach who wasn’t a moron we could have been utilising Dixon better and that stupid habit he’s developed of wrestling his opponent like that’s his job instead of going for the ball wouldn’t be necessary, and / or that coach could see Dixon is finished and use him as a decoy.

Which was good enough for the great tredrea but Ken won’t send Dixon out there to do that.

Why do we feel the need to disrespect our older players that have given good service but are now in their final year and battling it out physically. Happened with Tom Jonas last year, and it’s happening with Dixon but on another level. It’s actually disgraceful how he is treated.

If you don’t want Dixon on the list, well that’s on the list manager and coach. However, it’s still pretty obvious he is not only best 22 but our best key forward.

Fair call. I have bagged players before & when I sobered up I realised it wasn’t really their fault entirely, it was more the coaches fault
With a half decent/ balanced fwd structure/ entries he would be a fine player
Also feel a bit sorry for him & think the failure to play a proper ruckman for so long has shortened his career. The last 2-3?seasons I said he wouldn’t last the season out because he had to do too much centre square ruck work.
Does Hawkins or any other kpf have to do as much ruckwork as him?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back