Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

They say its the coaching group that does the votes.

Maybe Ken's assistants all gave him 5.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app
Which then becomes
a) Did the assistant coaches tell Ken during the game it wasn't working and were ignored/overridden.
b) They didn't bother telling him as they knew he'd ignore them
c) They didn't bother telling him as they thought it was obvious to Ken as well

The first two are damning on Ken, the last on the assistants as well, to know by now he's an idiot and needs the obvious pointed out.

There is a lot of hyperbole and group think going on in this thread. I think a lot of people aren’t objective anymore when it comes to Dixon’s footy because they don’t like his persona and the way he disagreed with supporters in the media. His stats stack up across the board for key forwards the league over. The only thing he is doing poorly (apart from this week against Pearce who is potentially the best tall defender in the competition this year) is convert his set shots to goal.

It is on the other forwards in our team to present a better option than Charlie if they want to get used more and our players kicking into the 50 to identify the better option and take it.
No but you see he actually stole his contested marks from Georgiades. He basically had a 0 touch game when you think about it.

Put Toddrea on Pearce, with Luke Ryan sitting in front, we probably win by 50 points.

I’m convinced Chadbro is forwards coach, so he can protect & serve his petrol head mate.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Dixon is just one of these things hey, this is genuinely his role

Funnel-Ball.jpg
Hahahahaha * me this is gold, if you ever see someone on tiktok referring to him as one of these just know I stole the idea from you

Which then becomes
a) Did the assistant coaches tell Ken during the game it wasn't working and were ignored/overridden.
b) They didn't bother telling him as they knew he'd ignore them
c) They didn't bother telling him as they thought it was obvious to Ken as well

The first two are damning on Ken, the last on the assistants as well, to know by now he's an idiot and needs the obvious pointed out.
d) They tried to tell him but he left his headphones in the seat pocket.

Could he still have value for a team in 2024? Probably.

Does he have any value to a team coached by Ken Hinkley and a gameplan focused entirely on 'bomb it to Charlie' at the expense of all our other forwards? God no. He needs to not be available to save Hinkley from himself and force us into a 'plan B' which would almost inevitably work better than our plan A.
Largely agree

I'm hopeful that Charlie could be part of a Plan B with a different coach. Even if it is only for a year or two. But suspect it's all too late unfortunately.

It's a crying shame how he has been managed and how we have used him at Port Adelaide. A different system and game plan and he could have been a genuine star.

It's concerning that the team seems to be more reliant on Dixon than ever - despite him clearly being hobbled and essentially playing on one leg. Quite frankly I'm sure the doctors could make an argument that he shouldn't be playing at all.

We're only 5 games into a 23 game regular season. How the heck are we supposed to expect Charlie to hold up physically over the next 18 games plus any potential finals if his current workload is replicated the rest of the way? It's simply not sustainable.
But we have to keep playing him, in order for Dwayne Russell's 100 goal prediction to come to fruition 🥴.

No but you see he actually stole his contested marks from Georgiades. He basically had a 0 touch game when you think about it.

Put Toddrea on Pearce, with Luke Ryan sitting in front, we probably win by 50 points.
Gimme a break. That is such sour grapes. Dixon stealing marks there had a 0 touch game.

Firstly he had 7 possessions, all contested. How does 2 possessions less mean he had a 0 touch game?

Secondly, does anyone think for a second that Georgiades, having a free run at the ball, would not have 'stolen' the same marks from Dixon if the situations were reversed? No chance. Dixon had the run, took the marks, kicked the goals. That's all there is to it. I have never heard of posters whinging about 'stolen' marks before. What crap.

Thirdly, you are embassing Tredrea by attempting to put Todd in the same class. You are never going to get a Pearce vs Todd matchup with Dixon playing. Even if you did. Pearce is stronger, taller, better in the air and just as fast as Todd. Probably read the game better right now too. You would get the same shitshow. Where would we get the extra 47 points from???

I think we are all dumber for having read that line.

I'm assuming your trying to suggest we should have moved Marshall to follow Pearce around, with the hope that Ryan follows him around as well ? Theres more chance that move leads to a loss than a 50 point win given the way tyhe midfield battle panned out, where Freo were focussed on shutting down the damging midfielders we had from the previous week, which forced a lot of our forward entries to be of the type that are easy to chop out as a defender.

One of the main reasons we focussed on getting another tall defender in, was so that Aliir could return to playing the chop out role (similar to what Ryan was doing). Of course for that to work in our defence we want our midfiled to ensure the oppo have slow ball movement, which results in pretty predicatable forward entries.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Further to my comments above on Pearce v Dixon:

As much as Charlie Dixon had a tough night against Alex Pearce who I thinks the best key defender in the comp on form - hes (Pearce) a superstar, but Dixon found a way, hes a big unit 200cm forwards dont get any shorter late in games.

Sometimes you just cant beat good defenders, but you can somehow hack and arm or bring the ball to ground, cause the defender just wants to do one thing, they just want to spoil the ball. Its very rare you get outmarked, but they want to nullify the contest. So out of the three options, be outmarked, take the mark or nullify, the defenders only got to do two.

Essentially, all other things being equal, its easier for a defender to nullify a contenst than for a forward to take a mark..

Last edited:
This is entirely dependent on the kick.

And therein lies the valid criticism of our ball movement and decision making and in turn how we use Dixon.

That is all correct. And the obvious thing on thw weekend was that Freo had done their homework on our midfled and made it a priority, albiet, that has been a focus of theirs all year - looking at their scores they generally give up about 70 points, its all about them being able to score themselves.

Stay away from the Todd Marshall thread if you value your braincells. Its been suggested Dixon stole his marks from the other forwards, or straight up deny he took any marks at all
Surely not !!

Power senior coach Ken Hinkley says spearhead Charlie Dixon was always going to be managed for this weekend, with more rests for the key forward planned this year.
The 33-year-old won’t take on Collingwood at the MCG on Saturday, with ruckman Jordon Sweet coming in for his club debut.

Dixon looked proppy on his ankle during the Power’s thrilling win over Fremantle last week, and was ill earlier this week.
But Hinkley said Dixon was always going to miss the clash.
“We made a decision before the start of the year to be honest, Charlie was never playing in Round 6,” he said.
“Unfortunately he has been a little bit crook earlier in the week, if he had been needed to play this week we would have been able to pick him but we decided a while ago that we were going to look after him more than we have ever done so we can get more games from him, more minutes from him and more contests from him.
This won’t be the last time we give Charlie a rest.”

Hinkley said Dixon had accepted the plan for 2024. “I think he has been really open to it because he knows himself that he has x amount of minutes he can play,” he said. “And the way he plays he is only a couple of contests away from the next collision and that can hurt him. “So he has been really supportive of it and good on him.”

If it was a planned rest... It wouldn't of been against Collingwood.
Knowing this loser's train of thought, he'd have this pencilled in as a loss from the minute the fixture came out ("aww, it's tough taking on the premiers at the home of footy, blah blah").
So Dixon playing would be irrelevant.

Power senior coach Ken Hinkley says spearhead Charlie Dixon was always going to be managed for this weekend, with more rests for the key forward planned this year.
The 33-year-old won’t take on Collingwood at the MCG on Saturday, with ruckman Jordon Sweet coming in for his club debut.

Dixon looked proppy on his ankle during the Power’s thrilling win over Fremantle last week, and was ill earlier this week.
“We made a decision before the start of the year to be honest, Charlie was never playing in Round 6,” he said.
“Unfortunately he has been a little bit crook earlier in the week, if he had been needed to play this week we would have been able to pick him but we decided a while ago that we were going to look after him more than we have ever done so we can get more games from him, more minutes from him and more contests from him.

Hinkley said Dixon had accepted the plan for 2024. “I think he has been really open to it because he knows himself that he has x amount of minutes he can play,” he said. “And the way he plays he is only a couple of contests away from the next collision and that can hurt him. “So he has been really supportive of it and good on him.”
Liar liar pants on fire. Not you HH.

Another word salad from our glorious leader.

I can't imagine they'd have rested him if we'd lost the rest of our KPFs to a Springfield Nuclear Plant Softball team style series of random misfortunes. To say they made a decision 6 weeks ago feels very unlikely considering they'd not have known the current health of our list 6 weeks ago. Indeed, in the next breath after saying they'd pre-planned the rest, he says they'd have picked him if he wasn't sick/injured.

Fine that Dixon's being rested - he was clearly hobbled last week, but can't stand the consistent contradiction from our bumpkin in chief. I just want Donuts gone.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back