Player Watch Charlie Dixon Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Dixon was thrashed. Alex Pearce was bog and received 10 coaches' votes accordingly.

There is a lot of hyperbole and group think going on in this thread. I think a lot of people aren’t objective anymore when it comes to Dixon’s footy because they don’t like his persona and the way he disagreed with supporters in the media. His stats stack up across the board for key forwards the league over. The only thing he is doing poorly (apart from this week against Pearce who is potentially the best tall defender in the competition this year) is convert his set shots to goal.

It is on the other forwards in our team to present a better option than Charlie if they want to get used more and our players kicking into the 50 to identify the better option and take it.

There is a lot of hyperbole and group think going on in this thread. I think a lot of people aren’t objective anymore when it comes to Dixon’s footy because they don’t like his persona and the way he disagreed with supporters in the media. His stats stack up across the board for key forwards the league over. The only thing he is doing poorly (apart from this week against Pearce who is potentially the best tall defender in the competition this year) is convert his set shots to goal.

It is on the other forwards in our team to present a better option than Charlie if they want to get used more and our players kicking into the 50 to identify the better option and take it.

You and your reasoned opinion are not welcomed here....haha.
Tend to agree with you..
As much as he has polarised people with some of his statements Dixon always appears to give his all when he's playing and appears to show genuine passion on the field.
I tend to think he is a victim of the game plan and get the impression he is playing exactly as directed.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

What are Todd and Mitch supposed to do while this is all happening ?

Mitch should do exactly what he's currently doing.
Todd needs to do something other than what he's currently doing.

The question really is, is Dixon going to be there when we push for our next premiership.

Dixon is playing OK but it would be nice to be getting games into Lord if he wasn't injured. He was killed last week and it wouldn't surprise me if his direct opponent will start to have games like Pearce did on the weekend. We will see this week if Darcy Moore smashes Dixon's contested marking and plays off him at will.

You can also say ask the question of Boak. Will he be a part of the next premiership tilt. I found it very interesting that Jase had his best game on the weekend without Boak playing.

I'm going to be nearly as out of step with this opinion as thinking Warren Tredrea won't make a good board member, but ..

Charlie Dixon provides a very important function for our team. Namely contested marking - both as an outlet and in the F50. He draws opponents, halves aerial contests and makes those around him walk taller.

Do we use him too much? Yes.
Should we have an adjusted game plan to not rely on him as much? Yes.
Does he need to ******* kick straight? Yes.
Should we have a redundancy plan for him? Yes.
Does he need to pull his head in at times? Yes.

Does he still have value for the team in 2024? Also yes.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dixon is just one of these things hey, this is genuinely his role

Funnel-Ball.jpg

I'm going to be nearly as out of step with this opinion as thinking Warren Tredrea won't make a good board member, but ..

Charlie Dixon provides a very important function for our team. Namely contested marking - both as an outlet and in the F50. He draws opponents, halves aerial contests and makes those around him walk taller.

Could he still have value for a team in 2024? Probably.

Does he have any value to a team coached by Ken Hinkley and a gameplan focused entirely on 'bomb it to Charlie' at the expense of all our other forwards? God no. He needs to not be available to save Hinkley from himself and force us into a 'plan B' which would almost inevitably work better than our plan A.

Dixon is in the final year/s of his career, his body is going and big players like himself seldom play past 34 (Hawkins + HGH aside).

He is still our most commanding and dominant KF, however as has been rightly pointed out in this thread, the game plan and execution of said game plan are a detriment to the future success of this team.

In contrast to what the club thinks, nobody here surely believes we can win the flag this year, so why continue to persist with a player who wont be part of the next flag tilt?

Do we win Saturday night without Dixon? Not a chance. Do we win a flag with Dixon, not even close.

Are any of these statements controversial?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dixon was thrashed. Alex Pearce was bog and received 10 coaches' votes accordingly.
Pearce getting the 10 votes boggles the mind. Not that he got the 10 votes, he should have, but that meant Ken gave him the 5 votes as well.

Which comes down to then, was it
a) Ken saw Dixon getting thrashed and didn't make a change.
b) He didn't realise he was being thrashed during the game and only had it pointed out afterwards.

Either option is damning.

Pearce getting the 10 votes boggles the mind. Not that he got the 10 votes, he should have, but that meant Ken gave him the 5 votes as well.

b) He didn't realise he was being thrashed during the game and only had it pointed out afterwards.

Thank you Andre. You articulated what I couldn't.

I found it so bizarre.

They say its the coaching group that does the votes.

Maybe Ken's assistants all gave him 5.

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back