Central Highlands

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
just thought i'd let everyone know that joey carmody won the Bungaree B&F and Chris Morley came runner up. excellent year by both of them... i think everyone out at Bungaree was shocked when Joey didnt even get 1 vote in the league B&F.

and Bungaree are looking to change their name from Bungaree Demons to the Bungaree Lions... after they have recruited half of redans players for 09.

so who u got edwards field? hope they preform better than knowles cummings and reid did last year.However reid did preform better this year in his second year of a 5 year plan

We recruited well in 2002 & 03, just missing the finals
In 2004 Robbo came along, and with it so did a lot of excitement, more recruits came, but more importantly the local players really put in and we won the senior and reserves flags of 2004.
This era is still going but we have certainly tapered off in our recruiting in recent seasons, just got a lot smarter in the players we recruit..
For example we recruited only 9 players this year ( 5 played seniors on saturday ), compared to Learmonth about 19 and Buninyong about 30 players.
Timmy, what percentage do you think the Hepburn senior side has of locals? I did a quick look over of the D'ford side and could only count 4 imports (according to country footy scores/vcfl site team line ups). Out of the 4, D.Thompson is one of them, although he has been there for years. Would you or other Hepburn supporters consider Newton, Leehane and the James' as locals?
Yes i think the actual count was only two recruits, with that being savige and button. And as much as hepburn are despised or envied, depending on how you look at them, they have to be given credit about getting to where they are now. And as much as everyone would also like to say that they wouldn't recruit as hard as hepburn if they were in that same position, i know that is crap. They have realised that there not going to win premierships going with just local talent, and good luck to them for following that path. The best team won on the day, and without sounding bitter, would be interesting to see how they would go if the points cap is introduced in the next few years. I bet you they would fall a long way back into the field. Wouldn't be too sure about the redan and bungaree situation also, with rumors around ballarat that redan are loading up at one final challenge.

We recruited well in 2002 & 03, just missing the finals
In 2004 Robbo came along, and with it so did a lot of excitement, more recruits came, but more importantly the local players really put in and we won the senior and reserves flags of 2004.
This era is still going but we have certainly tapered off in our recruiting in recent seasons, just got a lot smarter in the players we recruit..
For example we recruited only 9 players this year ( 5 played seniors on saturday ), compared to Learmonth about 19 and Buninyong about 30 players.
Timmy, what percentage do you think the Hepburn senior side has of locals? I did a quick look over of the D'ford side and could only count 4 imports (according to country footy scores/vcfl site team line ups). Out of the 4, D.Thompson is one of them, although he has been there for years. Would you or other Hepburn supporters consider Newton, Leehane and the James' as locals?
Not once did i mention Daylesford, ( so dont know why you are comparing us to them ) just tried to state what we do. We had 9 locals play on Saturday,. People always question recruits who leave after only one year.. although Newton, and the James' arnt locals, we regard them as locals because of the effort they have put into our club over the years, but i didn't include them in the 9. Leehane is a local, he lives here.
The dogs had two imports,Button and Savige, and how did they go on Saturday?
they wouldn't have had 5 possesions between them... our recruits all starred...
never said we are a side full of locals.. it will be very interesting to see what happens to Daylesford once their stars who are not getting any younger move on.. they have been great players and still are, but it will be interesting which players take up the slack in the next few years. If they are not good enough then they might have to recruit too.

as stated by timmy 32, would love to know who u think the 30 payers are

as stated by timmy 32, would love to know who u think the 30 payers are
Yeah probably wrong there , i just quickly looked through the CHFL transfers list, but you's did pick up a lot during pre season

heard ballan have signed tommy mullane grant as asst for next year

thats big news if he has gone accross. he has a few mates over that way. Was pretty good down at Bannockburn this year.

And from what i heard at the bungaree function on the w.e, they have signed 4-5 players from redan, and and are talking to a few from the SANFL.

of our pick ups last year most live in bunny and the rest are gong to uni at mt helen.
we don't pay out big dollars as many people believe most of the clubs funds went to the nets behind the goals and the hire and fuel for the light towers,building of coaches boxes ect because the local council didn't finish the job off lights should be up by next season then we can start to move forward.
we cannot afford to pay big dollars just lucky that people chose to play were there heart is as far as buninyong go's.
hopefully next year we can afford to top the list up a bit and have a real crack at it.
have heard the club has been approached by a few big bfl name players but not confirmed as yet.

of our pick ups last year most live in bunny and the rest are gong to uni at mt helen.
we don't pay out big dollars as many people believe most of the clubs funds went to the nets behind the goals and the hire and fuel for the light towers,building of coaches boxes ect because the local council didn't finish the job off lights should be up by next season then we can start to move forward.
we cannot afford to pay big dollars just lucky that people chose to play were there heart is as far as buninyong go's.
hopefully next year we can afford to top the list up a bit and have a real crack at it.
have heard the club has been approached by a few big bfl name players but not confirmed as yet.

is it true tranqulli was on 500 game and 50 a goal? also does anyone know if luke adams is coaching springbank

thats big news if he has gone accross. he has a few mates over that way. Was pretty good down at Bannockburn this year.

And from what i heard at the bungaree function on the w.e, they have signed 4-5 players from redan, and and are talking to a few from the SANFL.

he has family there to. also talking to fullback who played in north 2s all year

he has family there to. also talking to fullback who played in north 2s all year

Looks like the hunt for a team that can match hepburn has begun. Would not be surprised if a few of the better players from Skipton, Rok-Cnhp & Carn-Lntn are picked over as well.

Just with the points cap system, could AJ or Timmy knock up a points count of the two teams from the GF, see how they stack up. Anyone know if any other leagues use and cap's, points or otherwise?

blaaahhh!!!! no not true. not sure of exact figure but think he is on $280 a game which is cheap for a playing assistant coach especially considering the amount of work he puts in.(no money per goal)i know he knocked bach big dollars from dunnstown and some bfl clubs as he lives in the young and had respect for the club when playing for springbank,
he would also be the only one over $200 a game and only about 7 players are on money.as i have stated before buninyong is full of very loyal people and some great home grown talent, that have and will get big dollars thrown at them from other clubs and different leagues. being a great club and being surrounded by people who have come up through the ranks is how we keep our players and attract new ones not with filthy amounts of money.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

blaaahhh!!!! no not true. not sure of exact figure but think he is on $280 a game which is cheap for a playing assistant coach especially considering the amount of work he puts in.(no money per goal)i know he knocked bach big dollars from dunnstown and some bfl clubs as he lives in the young and had respect for the club when playing for springbank,
he would also be the only one over $200 a game and only about 7 players are on money.as i have stated before buninyong is full of very loyal people and some great home grown talent, that have and will get big dollars thrown at them from other clubs and different leagues. being a great club and being surrounded by people who have come up through the ranks is how we keep our players and attract new ones not with filthy amounts of money.

Mate wake up to yourself, Tranquilli is on a lot more than $280 a game. Seriously mate wake up and smell the roses.

Looks like the hunt for a team that can match hepburn has begun. Would not be surprised if a few of the better players from Skipton, Rok-Cnhp & Carn-Lntn are picked over as well.

Just with the points cap system, could AJ or Timmy knock up a points count of the two teams from the GF, see how they stack up. Anyone know if any other leagues use and cap's, points or otherwise?
this was on the site earlier in the season, and it seems AJ is still pondering what happened to his team a couple of weeks ago, so i have done some figures.
Problem is i dont know what figure the cap would be set at....
Both Grand Final sides which played on Saturday scored 34 each ! im not lying...
Our highest ranked players were Sal Uhi with 5 coming from Ballan ( which was in our own league ) Jack Douglass scored 3 coming from the Bendigo FL..... Our other recruits are 2, 3, 4 and 5 year players now, so their rating drops by one each year they stay loyal....
as i said if you look after your recruits then they in turn will look after you.
Daylesford's highest ranked players were Paul Cook and Kenny Cummings on 5, both being cleared by us., next were Button and Thomas on 3 coming from the Ballarat FL, the rest of the group all scored one point each...
Interesting isn't it

How does the points system work? What is the point of it? I'm embarrassed to say I've never heard of it? :eek:
This is how Learmonth explained how it works on 23 April 2008
Re: Central Highlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by dr evil
dont like it i think a points system that other leagues use wood be a better system its abit hard to explain but i think it wood work better its like a salary cap but easier to police because there is no cash just points.Learmonth is a fan of this concept he might be able to fill u in on the finer points i cant type 4 s**t

The points system is the only concept that will even up the competition and its been explained before. This other system will not work as country clubs vary from year to year and the draw operates over a three year period.

This is how it works-

5 points for an AFL player (Chris Grant) or player from within the league (CHFL- eg Salesi Uhi)) That help prevents clubs taking other players from sides within the league)
4 points- State League Player (VFL/SANFL/WAFL etc/Vic/SA Country representative etc from previous season. ie- 2007 season
3 points- Major League- These leagues have been classified and play in Worksafe cup- i.e Ballarat, Bendigo, Ovens & Murry, Geelong, Central Murry etc- Nick Willox Learmonth, Aaaron Bones Beaufort would be an example of this
2 points- Any minor league- Eg- Riddell, Maryborough Castlemaine, Lexton Plains etc- Last year Jake Pring would have come under this from Daylesford.
1 point- Junior player or player that has been at the club for 3 years.

At the end of each season a point is deducted from each player to reward loyality as an ex AFL player in 3 years time would only be worth 2 points.

This system prevents sides from going out and just buying a side recklessly and also ensures that players become more loyal. It has shown in other leagues that recruits stay longer.

All sides have different points and this would be evaluated from the last 3 years results with sides like hepburn, Waubra Daylesford etc having say 44 points per game while a side like gordon may start with around 50 points which enables them to try and even the playing field.

Thats roughly how it operates... HAve seen sides have to play with 1 interchange player due to not being able to fit under the points system. It can be policed easily as all players are ranked at the start of the season and it can be notified on team sheet before game and the CHFL administrtors would just go over it. Clubs could even monitor it, if the league handed out what all players are worth.

Comments

Over and out

$280 he wouldnt get out of bed for that

timmy i have been reading your posts and you sound like a man with a lot of inside knowledge. i enjoy reading your posts as they seem to be all fact. Congratulations on another successful year at hepburn. It shows what a lot of hard work behind the scenes does at a country club. I also agree that the recruits at hepburn stay a long time. I would imagine if you looked over the past few years, those that have left have moved on for very good reasons, not that they were unhappy at the club.. i read with anticipation. Also well done on securing the players for next year.

this was on the site earlier in the season, and it seems AJ is still pondering what happened to his team a couple of weeks ago, so i have done some figures.
Problem is i dont know what figure the cap would be set at....
Both Grand Final sides which played on Saturday scored 34 each ! im not lying...
Our highest ranked players were Sal Uhi with 5 coming from Ballan ( which was in our own league ) Jack Douglass scored 3 coming from the Bendigo FL..... Our other recruits are 2, 3, 4 and 5 year players now, so their rating drops by one each year they stay loyal....
as i said if you look after your recruits then they in turn will look after you.
Daylesford's highest ranked players were Paul Cook and Kenny Cummings on 5, both being cleared by us., next were Button and Thomas on 3 coming from the Ballarat FL, the rest of the group all scored one point each...
Interesting isn't it

Hello all, Am still pondering but thats footy!!!

Learmonths Prelim side valued 36 points so higher than both Hep & Dford. Highest points when to Ty Veldhuis (Dford) & Miller (Clunes) 5 points, Leyonjelm 3 points from Nhill Major League. Have a lot of 1 pointers as well Gudge, Wade Veldhuis, Brad Hubble, Tim Sinclair, Dave Wright, Paul Rogan, Jason Duffy, Leon Davey, Jon & Sam BAsham, James Sobey, Powell, Azz Davies, Robertson & Lee. This is due to locals or players like gudge & Wade being there for 3 years.

Congratulations to Hepburn...Best side won the flag!!

Pity about the ground, always windy and crap atmosphere...Bring teh game back to learmonth....Run Busses and crowd would be very similar..+ a better spectacle for all...

Now a long pre-season ahead...............& recruitment ahs already stated...

As for Buninyong not paying.... Your kidding yaself mate..All clubs do so stop denying.

Bunga getting all these Redan players, wernt they doing it last year.. They will get Justin Rumble but will stuggle to get any senior players.. If any they will be 2's players.

Rumors have begun.............Good for footy

Not once did i mention Daylesford, ( so dont know why you are comparing us to them ) just tried to state what we do. We had 9 locals play on Saturday,. People always question recruits who leave after only one year.. although Newton, and the James' arnt locals, we regard them as locals because of the effort they have put into our club over the years, but i didn't include them in the 9. Leehane is a local, he lives here.
The dogs had two imports,Button and Savige, and how did they go on Saturday?
they wouldn't have had 5 possesions between them... our recruits all starred...
never said we are a side full of locals.. it will be very interesting to see what happens to Daylesford once their stars who are not getting any younger move on.. they have been great players and still are, but it will be interesting which players take up the slack in the next few years. If they are not good enough then they might have to recruit too.

I know you didnt mention D'ford, that was me comparing you to them. Its good to get an understanding of what other supporters consider locals. Are you bitter to lose some Hepburn local talent to D'ford over the years, Cook, Rogers, Thomas etc? D'ford might be an aging list, but I think they will be smart with looking after thier depth this time round. Once bitten twice shy.

first of all i don't expect anyone out there to believe me on what AT is on a game and thats fine we no how our club works and it isn't really anyone's business, but ask yourself this why is it we have all but signed quality players then out of the blue we get informed that another club say dunnstown or springbank ect, has doubled our offer and we lose them, that is because we don't spend huge dollars and cannot afford to at this stage anyway.
and secondly learmonth its nice that you could manage to wipe the tears away to read my post but get it right no where did i mention that buninyong dosn't pay players? i stated that we don't pay huge dollars and generly pick uppeople that have played for or who live in buninyong as is the case with 95% of our list so maybe you should worry about your club and what they are going to do after you have sucked every last dollar out of there bank accounts recruiting your mates and over paying them and yourself only to fall short once again who's going to pick up the pieces i ask? WHO!?

I know you didnt mention D'ford, that was me comparing you to them. Its good to get an understanding of what other supporters consider locals. Are you bitter to lose some Hepburn local talent to D'ford over the years, Cook, Rogers, Thomas etc? D'ford might be an aging list, but I think they will be smart with looking after thier depth this time round. Once bitten twice shy.[/quote
LOVE THE NAME QUITE HUMOUROUS

Hello all, Am still pondering but thats footy!!!

Learmonths Prelim side valued 36 points so higher than both Hep & Dford. Highest points when to Ty Veldhuis (Dford) & Miller (Clunes) 5 points, Leyonjelm 3 points from Nhill Major League. Have a lot of 1 pointers as well Gudge, Wade Veldhuis, Brad Hubble, Tim Sinclair, Dave Wright, Paul Rogan, Jason Duffy, Leon Davey, Jon & Sam BAsham, James Sobey, Powell, Azz Davies, Robertson & Lee. This is due to locals or players like gudge & Wade being there for 3 years.

Congratulations to Hepburn...Best side won the flag!!

Pity about the ground, always windy and crap atmosphere...Bring teh game back to learmonth....Run Busses and crowd would be very similar..+ a better spectacle for all...

Now a long pre-season ahead...............& recruitment ahs already stated...

As for Buninyong not paying.... Your kidding yaself mate..All clubs do so stop denying.

Bunga getting all these Redan players, wernt they doing it last year.. They will get Justin Rumble but will stuggle to get any senior players.. If any they will be 2's players.

Rumors have begun.............Good for footy

So maybe the points system is not the answer. Teams like Bunny who have a high rotation of players, players that actively seek to join the club due to being close to uni, and players who have to leave the club because of finishing uni would be penalised. Maybe the better option would be a CHFL committee that monitors the transfers and clearances in the interests of the CHFL.
For Example McKay & Cox into the CHFL = good thing
Uhi from stuggling Ballan to finals contendor Hepburn = bad thing
Tranquilli to Bunny because he lives there = good thing
[Theretically] Ex AFL player retires to creswick for the new golf course but wants a kick of local footy but goes to Dford instead of Creswick because the money is better = bad thing

and so on.

Congrats to Timmy for his recent responses and willingness to share the great things going on at Hepburn.

Just one question... was Shane19 dropped from the ressies or or is that wannabe walking around with a medal around his neck?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back