Rumour Carl Ditterich Arrested

Remove this Banner Ad

I can't... just can't... with the references to a club. I don't care who he played for... I'm still dealing with my own experiences over 50 years later. Don't come with the quick drive-bys about what club he played for... this isn't funny. Not saying he's guilty... just saying... best to leave the jokes for another topic. That's just my feeling, for what it is worth.

I can't... just can't... with the references to a club. I don't care who he played for... I'm still dealing with my own experiences over 50 years later. Don't come with the quick drive-bys about what club he played for... this isn't funny. Not saying he's guilty... just saying... best to leave the jokes for another topic. That's just my feeling, for what it is worth.
With all due respect - we’re entitled to deal with issues as we see fit, if the board allows it.

If you are effected this badly by this sort of tragic outcome,I recommend you don’t read about it - take ownership of your own feelings - don’t expect others to.

Hope you find a happy place

Did the Royal Commission look much into VFL and similar high profile sports?

The common theme in all of those was the abuse of power - VFL players were often hed in higher regard than perhaps they should simply because they were footy players. Meant they probably got away with a bit.

This, the Footscray stuff, the allegations from the indigenous player at Geelong - it's probably all tip of the iceberg stuff I fear.
Add Barry Cable to the list

Even that was a joke. Bloke awarded for being a VFL hit man and winning 2 BandFs in mediocre teams.
But goons were an important part of the game up until about 20 years ago.

They were valued and revered.

Everyone loved their own goons, and hated the opposition's.

Last edited:
Worryingly, Ditterich was a teacher for a while. Wonder if others may come forward.

For younger posters when Ditterich started he got a Harley Reid level of media attention. He also could play.

Your feeling is 100% correct. It’s pathetic.

There are some real lowlife knuckledraggers around.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't he run for Parliament at some stage when he was in the Wimmera?
Ran as an independent for the Legislative Assembly seat of Swan Hill at the 1999 Victorian state election and went pretty bloody close, ending up within about 763 votes of taking it off the Nationals.

For context, 1999 was the “unlosable” election which saw a massive backlash against the Kennett/McNamara government in regional and rural areas, with a number of these electorates (including neighbouring Mildura) being won by independent candidates. This lead to the coalition losing government to a Bracks-led minority Labor/independent government by 1 seat.

The same day as this election, Essendon lost their “unlosable” preliminary final to Carlton by 1 point.

If he did it may he rot in hell.

Balme was no better from a football point of view.

Carl Dittershit we used to call him.
Both were animals. In the early 1970s Balme lived in a flat near my BiL, who is about 170cms in his shoes, lovely friendly bloke. Balme (190+ cms?) passed him on the stairs, fronted him out of nowhere and told him "you're not worth a pinch of *". Maybe Balme is a decent person now, but as a young man he was a *.

Ditterich was a brilliant player, but a psycho thug. In his last game for Melbourne he repeatedly punched Kevin Morris in the head, no report.

If he did it may he rot in hell.

Both were animals. In the early 1970s Balme lived in a flat near my BiL, who is about 170cms in his shoes, lovely friendly bloke. Balme (190+ cms?) passed him on the stairs, fronted him out of nowhere and told him "you're not worth a pinch of *". Maybe Balme is a decent person now, but as a young man he was a *.

Ditterich was a brilliant player, but a psycho thug. In his last game for Melbourne he repeatedly punched Kevin Morris in the head, no report.

I think I started a thread on here a few years ago suggesting that Balme is a complete dickwad and really hasn't achieved anything in football other than being a thug, riding on other people's success and for some reason being worshipped by the Melbourne sports media.
I was met with a torrent of abuse by Richmond nuffies.
Always suspected I was right.

I think I started a thread on here a few years ago suggesting that Balme is a complete dickwad and really hasn't achieved anything in football other than being a thug, riding on other people's success and for some reason being worshipped by the Melbourne sports media.
FWIW he was well respected at Collingwood in a few footy dept. roles and Geelong poached him.

Maybe he grew up? Some blokes do.

Sorry mate, but you've got no idea. You're judging him purely on a few incidents on the football field when he was in his 20s. Don't "suspect you were right", you were wrong.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back