Captain Obvious commentating the tennis

Remove this Banner Ad

I do enjoy the tennis but if I have to listen to Sandy Roberts for much longer I'll throw something through the screen.

Everything's got a number "that's her 9th break point. She's converted 4, that's less than 50%."

Any serve that the other player can't return is "a great serve" when it's more a stuff up by the returner.

As I type this I hear him in the background babbling on about "16 winners for Safina" and "she holds serve."

I'm sure blind people enjoy his expert radio-style commentary.

Me? I ******' hate it.

Channel 7, please get him off!!!!!

Anyone else on the verge of going insane?

I do enjoy the tennis but if I have to listen to Sandy Roberts for much longer I'll throw something through the screen.

Everything's got a number "that's her 9th break point. She's converted 4, that's less than 50%."

Any serve that the other player can't return is "a great serve" when it's more a stuff up by the returner.

As I type this I hear him in the background babbling on about "16 winners for Safina" and "she holds serve."

I'm sure blind people enjoy his expert radio-style commentary.

Me? I ******' hate it.

Channel 7, please get him off!!!!!

Anyone else on the verge of going insane?

You should watch some of our games he commentated back in the late 90's & early 2000's.

That would make your blood boil even more.

Tennis is the a terrible sport played by the most distasteful, pampered pack of w***ers on the planet. Did the world number 4 cry today and then quit because he was tired? Michael Firrito chased two blokes and laid a tackle with a broken leg in 2006.

Should be banished from the earth.

I seriously hate the banter between the commentaters when they discuss a new show.

''... and the new season of Thank God You're Here is coming on after the tennis, on Channel 7''

''Fantastic show... I love how they just make stuff up!! It's so funny. I'll definately be tuning in Sandy''

:mad::mad::mad:

Tennis is the a terrible sport played by the most distasteful, pampered pack of w***ers on the planet. Did the world number 4 cry today and then quit because he was tired? Michael Firrito chased two blokes and laid a tackle with a broken leg in 2006.

I couldn't agree more.

What I also find hilarious is that on another forum all these w***ers are having a go at Alicia Molik's commentary and saying what has she ever done and she wasn't that good.

No mention of the bloke who has probably only ever picked up a tennis racquet for promo shots for Channel 7.

I hate how he changes the pitch and volume of his voice for one word mid sentence.

I seriously hate the banter between the commentaters when they discuss a new show.

''... and the new season of Thank God You're Here is coming on after the tennis, on Channel 7''

''Fantastic show... I love how they just make stuff up!! It's so funny. I'll definately be tuning in Sandy''

:mad::mad::mad:

I thought that was a Ten program?

Oh well, another show stolen by Seven...

Singles is an individual sport, played at the highest levels by some pampered w***ers and a few others.

However, is there any other sport in the world that would allow a participant to pass out on court and have to be carried off on a stretcher with a drip in his or her arm? It hasn't happened yet but it will. Bookmark it!

If a footballer was reeling around in a daze, behaving unnaturally, he would be quickly supported by trainers, water boys, teammates and even opponents. he would receive treatment whether he asked for it or not. In tennis I have seen players, usually teenagers, on the verge of collapse in extreme heat being left to their own devices, without support from anyone.

Do you think Sharapova's Dad would 'throw in the towel' for his daughter when there was a dollar to be made a year or two back? Did anyone support Alize Cornet or Victoria Azarenka in the current Oz Open when they looked as though they would collapse on court? Does the umpire or tournament referee have the discretion/common sense to call for medical help on their behalf?

Fortunately, the players managed to "retire" all by themselves but if I was their parent, coach, manager I would have been on that court in two seconds, for their own protection.

Singles is an individual sport, played at the highest levels by some pampered w***ers and a few others.

However, is there any other sport in the world that would allow a participant to pass out on court and have to be carried off on a stretcher with a drip in his or her arm? It hasn't happened yet but it will. Bookmark it!

If a footballer was reeling around in a daze, behaving unnaturally, he would be quickly supported by trainers, water boys, teammates and even opponents. he would receive treatment whether he asked for it or not. In tennis I have seen players, usually teenagers, on the verge of collapse in extreme heat being left to their own devices, without support from anyone.

Do you think Sharapova's Dad would 'throw in the towel' for his daughter when there was a dollar to be made a year or two back? Did anyone support Alize Cornet or Victoria Azarenka in the current Oz Open when they looked as though they would collapse on court? Does the umpire or tournament referee have the discretion/common sense to call for medical help on their behalf?

Fortunately, the players managed to "retire" all by themselves but if I was their parent, coach, manager I would have been on that court in two seconds, for their own protection.

They're playing tennis, yeah? Fluffy yellow balls, over the net, repeat etc etc? Just thought you had it mixed up with a proper sport. It's hot. Yippee. I spent 70 minutes on a Melbourne train last night and I didn't get paid a fortune to do it. What I didn't do is call for assistance and shed some tears.

Anyway, leaving all that aside, can someone explain to me why people barrack wildly for a tennis player?

And THIS is why we should employ spud to "ghost" Caroline Wilson 24/7.

Anyway, leaving all that aside, can someone explain to me why people barrack wildly for a tennis player?

This part I've never understood. It's like going down to the ASX and cheering for whichever Multimillionare has managed to make a $300k profit that day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It could be worse, imagine GGGGGEEERRRRAAAARRRRDDD or DEEERRRRRRRWWWWAAAAYYYYNNNNEEE doing tennis commentating.

Funny you mention Derr-brain, Gabbie. He DOES commentate the tennis on Foxtel.

He even manages to be disagreeable with his co-commentators. I laughed so much when he tried to start a row in the middle of a tennis match. What a prawn!

He must be a disagreeable creep, full stop. The only person he seems to get along with is Ger-aard. What does that say about the pair of them?

This part I've never understood. It's like going down to the ASX and cheering for whichever Multimillionare has managed to make a $300k profit that day.

$300k -pfft, not even beer money.

Thank God someone else see's it the way I do. A complete wank of a sport played by complete w***ers. Philippoussis was the best example. Anyone would think a 194cm strapping fit lad should be knocking buildings over and taking on the world. This guy cried and had a press conference whenever he got a paper cut. Or the Russian woman complaining about the roof. Big deal! Everyone had to put up with it. Her opponent had to put up with it. :rolleyes:

I reckon the way some of them look could have something to do with it. I'm not going to comment on the attractiveness of the female players- I'm sure everyone has already given that a fair bit of thought- but soft or not, Djokovic is a spunk and a half. I don't know about barracking wildly but I can confess to watching his matches waiting for when he finds it necessary to remove his shirt.

Strange but true:

Our very own Captain Obvious Sandy Roberts received the "Captain Obvious" award in today's HUN Sports Confidential column.

He achieved this dubious honour by announcing that one of the players in a tie breaker had a 50-50 chance to win it. Unhelpfully, and unlike him to miss an opportunity to ram some numbers down our throats, he declined to give us the other player's odds.

The guy's a genius. Wait until he discovers our members tally thread. He'll make a few of our regular contributors look like 5th graders.

I reckon the way some of them look could have something to do with it. I'm not going to comment on the attractiveness of the female players- I'm sure everyone has already given that a fair bit of thought- but soft or not, Djokovic is a spunk and a half. I don't know about barracking wildly but I can confess to watching his matches waiting for when he finds it necessary to remove his shirt.

I don't know what you see in him. He is a knob. Marat Safin and North's very own JWT are the only players that I actually don't mind.

Don't get me started on female players either. Are you a professional tennis player and a lady or are you some skanky ho who is good enough to be on the tennis circuit. Put some bloody clothes on FFS. Where is your self respect?

I don't know what you see in him. He is a knob. Marat Safin and North's very own JWT are the only players that I actually don't mind.

Don't get me started on female players either. Are you a professional tennis player and a lady or are you some skanky ho who is good enough to be on the tennis circuit. Put some bloody clothes on FFS. Where is your self respect?

You make an interesting point about the clothes, DR. Traditionally, men wore long pants and women wore long skirts. Sort of like lawn bowling outfits. So, they started off more or less wearing similar outfits.

Now the men wear shorts and shirts and some of the women look like they're dressed to walk from the beach to the kiosk to buy an ice cream when it's 40 degrees.

As for Serena's abomination.......what's that all about? It looks like she got out of bed and came straight to the tennis without getting changed.

The guy's a genius. Wait until he discovers our members tally thread. He'll make a few of our regular contributors look like 5th graders.

Gold:thumbsu:

FWIW i agree about Sandy Roberts, i think he's too scared to give his actual opinion (either that or he doesn't have one) because he thinks Alicia Molik or Tracy Austin will shoot him down immediately :rolleyes:

Funny you mention Derr-brain, Gabbie. He DOES commentate the tennis on Foxtel.

He even manages to be disagreeable with his co-commentators. I laughed so much when he tried to start a row in the middle of a tennis match. What a prawn!

He must be a disagreeable creep, full stop. The only person he seems to get along with is Ger-aard. What does that say about the pair of them?

Thanks for reminding me about Foxtel - I gave my austar Fox Footy package the flick the sunday after GF day, must crank it up again this week with the pre- season footy around the corner.

Glad I missed the ****.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back