Cameron Green

Remove this Banner Ad

I adore Greeny and what he brings but have to agree with others here. He needs to step up.

I also love Bison and am as stoked for him as I would have been for Green if he was having similar success.

But here's something worth chewing on - this series, we have not lost with Green in the team, and we have not won with Marsh in the team. Go figure.

Tbh I was really disappointed with bison in the 5th test. He was part of the cluster of wickets that cost us the game when 20-30 more from him would have probably won us the game. Honestly I reckon green would have been a better pick for those conditions.

It seems in modern cricket all the fast bowling all rounders end up having to basically give up the bowling for long periods.

Needs to focus on his batting and get that average up to 40, then he only has to chip in with a few odd overs. Currently he looks completely lost at the crease, when he's defensive he's way too aggressive and doesn't rotate the strike, when he tries to play aggressive it's ridiculous shots.

It’s because he is a top order batsman not a number 6. No batsman averages 45+ at no6 these days. Either the top order batsman dine out and it’s a slog fest at the end of the innings or the pitch is a greentop and the no6 barely gets a shot before the tail is cleaned up.

Honestly for the Pakistan and WI I would bat Green at 4. Smith can move to 5 and head to 6.

It’s because he is a top order batsman not a number 6. No batsman averages 45+ at no6 these days. Either the top order batsman dine out and it’s a slog fest at the end of the innings or the pitch is a greentop and the no6 barely gets a shot before the tail is cleaned up.

Honestly for the Pakistan and WI I would bat Green at 4. Smith can move to 5 and head to 6.

thats ridiculous we aren't moving smith to 5 and head to 6 just to suit green, green needs to perform in that spot or he needs to back to shield for a while.

thats ridiculous we aren't moving smith to 5 and head to 6 just to suit green, green needs to perform in that spot or he needs to back to shield for a while.

I think Green does need to come up the order. Green I feel is hiding at 6....we need more than a nice looking 30 and 2 wickets a game with the ball.

I'd like Green to bat at 3 and Marnus to open once Warner has retired. Marsh could then bat at 6.

Green at 6 reminds me of when Ponting batted at 6. Ponting never knew how to play it and Green is the same.

Ponting played 40 tests and had a low 40s average before he moved to 3. It was high 40s till it get nailed by that indian tour in 2001 (17 runs in five innings).

Dhanajaya De Silva has been averaging 51 when batting at 6? Jadeja too but less regularly.

WA heads a bit conflicted with Marsh taking Green's spot. What to do? I know, move our best players to different batting roles so we can accommodate Green and Marsh. Yay WA!

I adore Greeny and what he brings but have to agree with others here. He needs to step up.

I also love Bison and am as stoked for him as I would have been for Green if he was having similar success.

But here's something worth chewing on - this series, we have not lost with Green in the team, and we have not won with Marsh in the team. Go figure.
I'd suggest that has more to do with Nathan Lyon than it does Green vs Marsh.

we need to have one eye for the future. If Green is our future no4 then why not play him now against some relatively softer opposition.

when we moved punter to no.3 alot of people didn't think it was warranted but we saw him as a generational player.

3 & 4 should be reserved for the 2 best batters in the team, Green hasn't shown he's close to that. He's not better than any batter in the lineup, maybe except for Warner - but that's not exactly a compliment at this point in Daves career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

3 & 4 should be reserved for the 2 best batters in the team, Green hasn't shown he's close to that. He's not better than any batter in the lineup, maybe except for Warner - but that's not exactly a compliment at this point in Daves career.
Yes, it's not often a player, especially a young developing player just walks into the No.4 spot. Usually they serve an apprenticeship in the mid order. Greg Chappell started at 7, Steve Smith at 8.

Yes, it's not often a player, especially a young developing player just walks into the No.4 spot. Usually they serve an apprenticeship in the mid order. Greg Chappell started at 7, Steve Smith at 8.

hes played 25 tests this was his development. Now we need to extract more value out of him and no.6 is not working for the team or him.

we need to have one eye for the future. If Green is our future no4 then why not play him now against some relatively softer opposition.

when we moved punter to no.3 alot of people didn't think it was warranted but we saw him as a generational player.

My counter would be we have pretty soft next 7 tests coming up 5 at home then 2 vs the kiwis away who shit themselves everytime we turn so up if green cant score runs vs those guys at 6 then he doesnt deserve a spot in top 4 anyway.

Green should be at 5, Head at 6 (or opening). But he also looks low on confidence. Hopefully he can get some FC cricket and remember how to build an innings. He's got the talent and the technique, just gets himself bogged down. Reminds me of early Khawaja actually, before he learnt to rotate the strike.

My counter would be we have pretty soft next 7 tests coming up 5 at home then 2 vs the kiwis away who s**t themselves everytime we turn so up if green cant score runs vs those guys at 6 then he doesnt deserve a spot in top 4 anyway.

my counter point would be we moved Ponting to no.3 after he didn't set the world on fire at 6. Sometimes you need to select on talent and potential + the achknowledgement that no.6 is a tough role, which is why averaging over 40 is pretty unusual.

He played 3 tests and gets dropped after taking 2 wickets and going for 4 an over when the poms score close to 600. Instead we pick a tired attack and it shows when the Poms score 380 at 4/5 an over in there 2nd dig to set up and win themselves the game

In his last test Scores a scratchy 16 in the first innings and is 3 not out when the rains come denying him an opportunity to score some runs. At lords he has a poor game 0 and 18 ....Birmingham okay cops one of the balls of the series from Ali

5 tests previous from when he got dropped he scores a hundred in India one of the toughest places for an Aussie batter to score tons

Hasn't been home for 6 months straight...due to the IPL which was an offer you couldn't turn down and he was encouraged by Aussie cricket to take a once in a life time opportunity

He is the best gully fielder the game has seen in ages....gets dropped guess what Australia's fielding goes to shit

Cummins tells him to bowl bouncers all series ..which he does sacrificing his own game for his captains tactics

I don't care what anyone says there was a perfect opportunity for the Aussies to be dynamic and do something different that last test...I called for Warner to be dropped because he hasn't scored a hundred against the poms in 6 years ...but F**k that he fields first slip so he must play according to tubbs :rolleyes:

Does he need to improve ..yes of course he does but the lack of support from Mcdonald and the selectors was pretty piss poor IMO

Green only has himself to blame for getting dropped in the final test. He'd be the first to admit it.

Unlucky to get injured because I suspect they would have persisted with him but once Marsh came in and tonned up his place was immediately under threat.

If he was scoring runs it would have put the pressure on selectors to trial him as an opener for the last test. But he had a poor tour and so the made the call that they weren't gonna go with a makeshift opener in English conditions. Honestly, I ultimately think Warner repaid the selectors (in a fairly tenuous sense) because I don't see Green contributing 100 runs as an opener across two test matches.

Where we did **** up was not going down the English route and having Green on the field the entire time in the fifth test and rotating our bowlers off to rest up. As long as they get back on within 15 minutes they can come straight on to bowl.

hes played 25 tests this was his development. Now we need to extract more value out of him and no.6 is not working for the team or him.
You don't get rewarded with a promotion to the premium batting positions by failing to perform at 6. He hasn't proven he's a quality test batter yet, and if anything was exposed by England.

Green should be batting up the order. I've said this ever since he came into the team.

He is never going to be a number 6. He needs time to build his innings.

Swapping Head and Green would be a good start, but ultimately I think he is either an opener or number 4.

Green should be batting up the order. I've said this ever since he came into the team.

He is never going to be a number 6. He needs time to build his innings.

Swapping Head and Green would be a good start, but ultimately I think he is either an opener or number 4.
I don't disagree, I think he should be at 5 - I've stated that in here.

He shouldn't be at 4 yet, though. Maybe one day; but moving Smith out of 4 for Green is a ludicrous suggestion. One day he might be the ideal 3 or 4. But right now, absolutely not.

Again, though, I'd be ok with him at 5 now. I think he's a more natural no.5 than Head who I think is an ideal no.6.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back