Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

Doubt he plays Adelaide if they are big outdoor shows.
Well it hasn't been said if it would be all outdoors.

All his US shows are indoors. Its still cold in February March and April in US but he is starting indoors in south states where its warm.

All his Euro shows are outdoors, but not all are huge stadiums. He always plays a lot of shows outdoor in Europe in their summer time. I think he likes finishing his shows in twilight at 10.30 - 11pm, especially places that are at 50 degrees north or higher on the map.

If Gudinski can get him to a winery in the Hunter Valley - Hope Estate, and outdoors at Mt Macedon near Hanging Rock, I'm sure the Barossa or McLaren Vale can have a suitable venue that will draw people to it ie a 15,000 type venue. His last 3 visits here;

2013 8 indoor and 2 outdoor shows both at Hanging Rock
2014 7 + 4 outdoor shows were 2 at AMMI Park and 2 at Hope Estate
2017 8 + 4 outdoor shows were 2 at AMMI Park and 1 at Hope Estate 1 at Hanging Rock

Hanging Rock capacity is capped at 18,000 for concerts. Hope Estate the crowd was about 20,000. AAMI Park losing seats at one end but allowing seats on the grass, the capacity is about 28,000.

About 4 hours before his first gig Bruce confirmed the E Street band is a 10 piece, not 14 or 17 this tour.

The you tube link in the second tweet, "Take a look as we go behind the scenes of Bruce Springsteen's Super Bowl half time show." NFL put this up on their you tube site a week after the 2016 Superbowl - 7 years after Bruce performed.

Last edited:
Bugger me its a 19 piece. The time stamp on the first tweet above is 6.43am 2nd Feb I guess is my time in SA which would be 3.43pm Tampa time and the show started 7.30pm 1st Feb Tampa time.

Fn8lZMhXoAAfJz1

I make it 6 songs from Letter to You and 2 from Only the Strong Survive.

Fn8lZtSWAAIZM4Q

Last edited:
Stevie has lost a heap of weight

Last tour he looked cactus

If you search Tampa on TikTok there are about a dozen clips

Happy to see some tracks from Letter to You. It was my saviour in Covid Lockdowns.

The stage runway looks long and stretches out, which is fantastic!

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I watched majority of the stream - missed the first four songs.

But man, it was a tight show despite being almost identical. The band was incredibly tight, Bruce looked to be having a heap of fun, and his voice was top notch.

The performance of Backstreets was stellar.

Last Man Standing was also wonderful. So poignant.

Here is the setlist;

Show started. 7:49 p.m.
No Patti tonight
1. No Surrender
2. Ghosts
3. Prove It All Night
4. Letter to You
5. The Promised Land
6. Out in the Street
7. Candy's Room
8. Kitty's Back
9. Nightshift
10. Don't Play that Song
11. E Street Shuffle
12. Johnny 99
13. DARLINGTON COUNTY
14. Last Man Standing (with the preamble)
Just Bruce on the guitar and Curt Ramm a little on trumpet
15. House of A Thousand Guitars (with the full band)
16. Backstreets
17. Because the Night
18. She's The One
19. Wrecking Ball
20. The Rising
21. Badlands
22. THUNDER ROAD
Encores
23. Born to Run
24. Rosalita
25. Glory Days
26. Dancing in the Dark (no dancers from the audience)
Band intros
No mention of Patti not being there
27. Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
Someone threw a black jacket to Bruce that had "Wild & the Innocent" on the back. He put it on, It fit. Pretty cool,
Again, like Tampa, he went back to the mini-stage behind the pit.
28. I'll See You in My Dreams (solo acoustic)

Here is Last Man Standing

Not surprised to see similar setlists - still early in the tour, after 6 years off, and getting older. If I saw that set here I'd be stoked.

Agree on Last Man Standing. To have some context on the lyrics and meaning elevates it significantly.

The band are on absolute fire.

Is it true that Backstreets and BTX are shutting down? Wowee.
In many ways its surprising they have gone as long as they have. It wouldn't be cheap to keep it all going when now there are so many ways of getting Springsteen news, photos etc, and for free on social media. Sounds like the ticketing fiasco of last year was the final straw.

I hope they can afford to keep paying the ISP provider so that all their stuff is available on line for many years or maybe get it all Web Archived.

A Note From Christopher Phillips, Publisher & Editor-in-Chief

After 43 years of publishing in one form or another, by fans for fans of Bruce Springsteen, it's with mixed emotions that we announce Backstreets has reached the end of the road.

We are immensely proud of the work Backstreets has done, and we are forever grateful to the worldwide community of fellow fans who have contributed to and supported our efforts all these years, but we know our time has come.

It starts with the personal, having as much to do with where I find myself in life. I was 22 when I started at Backstreets in 1993; I'm 52 now. For all of those 30 years, there's never been a time when my heart wasn't fully in it. That's the case, too, for the editors who preceded and inspired me in the magazine's first 13 years.

A key reason something as gonzo as Backstreets has been able to exist, and for so long — since 1980 — is that it has consistently sprung from a place of genuine passion, rooted in a heartfelt belief in the man and his music. As difficult as it is to call this the end, it's even harder to imagine continuing without my whole heart in it.

If you read the editorial Backstreets published last summer in the aftermath of the U.S. ticket sales, you have a sense of where our heads and hearts have been: dispirited, downhearted, and, yes, disillusioned. It's not a feeling we're at all accustomed to while anticipating a new Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band tour. If you haven't yet read that editorial ("Freeze-out," July 24, 2022), or the crux of Springsteen's response to Rolling Stone in November, we encourage you to do so; we don't want to rehash those issues, but we stand behind our positions and points.

We're not alone in struggling with the sea change. Judging by the letters we've received over recent months, the friends and longtimers we've been checking in with, and the response to our editorial, disappointment is a common feeling among hardcore fans in the Backstreets community.

Between the magazine (91 issues and counting — see below!) and thousands of online features, reviews, and editorials, Backstreets published a million and one words on the music that mattered to us the most. We stood humbled when Springsteen mentioned Backstreets in public after 20 years, when we helped create and organize the Bruce Springsteen Special Collection (which became the basis for the Bruce Springsteen Archives and Center For American Music). While it was deeply meaningful to hear him acknowledge the work we did, the real reward came when our readers cheered.

In the end, that's what This Thing of Ours has been for and about — fans and fandom. If Backstreets can have any kind of legacy, I'd like it to be that we blurred the line between fan effort and professional publication: to cover someone like Springsteen, we insisted on solid musical journalism, high editorial standards, honest writing (which often meant not toning down enthusiasm in order to appear cool or objective), and professional photography — while never losing sight of the connections and community that have given meaning to it all on the listeners' side of the equation.

The shared love and joy, the camaraderie, the minutiae and close attention paid, the passion, the post-shows.… if you're still on the train, may all of that continue for you. Rave on. We have every hope of meeting you further on up the road.
- February 3, 2023

4 shows down and he has played 28,28, 27 and 28 songs = 111

25 songs played at all 4 shows = 100

Thunder Road played 3 times, first was the 2nd show and is the last song of the first set.

Burnin' Train played 2 times, started the encore in 1st and 3rd shows

House of 1000 guitars played 2 times, 1st and 2nd show

And 4 songs only once
1st show
2nd show Darlington County
4th show Mansion on the Hill and Ramrod at start of Encore

In many ways its surprising they have gone as long as they have. It wouldn't be cheap to keep it all going when now there are so many ways of getting Springsteen news, photos etc, and for free on social media. Sounds like the ticketing fiasco of last year was the final straw.

I hope they can afford to keep paying the ISP provider so that all their stuff is available on line for many years or maybe get it all Web Archived.

A Note From Christopher Phillips, Publisher & Editor-in-Chief

After 43 years of publishing in one form or another, by fans for fans of Bruce Springsteen, it's with mixed emotions that we announce Backstreets has reached the end of the road.

We are immensely proud of the work Backstreets has done, and we are forever grateful to the worldwide community of fellow fans who have contributed to and supported our efforts all these years, but we know our time has come.

It starts with the personal, having as much to do with where I find myself in life. I was 22 when I started at Backstreets in 1993; I'm 52 now. For all of those 30 years, there's never been a time when my heart wasn't fully in it. That's the case, too, for the editors who preceded and inspired me in the magazine's first 13 years.

A key reason something as gonzo as Backstreets has been able to exist, and for so long — since 1980 — is that it has consistently sprung from a place of genuine passion, rooted in a heartfelt belief in the man and his music. As difficult as it is to call this the end, it's even harder to imagine continuing without my whole heart in it.

If you read the editorial Backstreets published last summer in the aftermath of the U.S. ticket sales, you have a sense of where our heads and hearts have been: dispirited, downhearted, and, yes, disillusioned. It's not a feeling we're at all accustomed to while anticipating a new Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band tour. If you haven't yet read that editorial ("Freeze-out," July 24, 2022), or the crux of Springsteen's response to Rolling Stone in November, we encourage you to do so; we don't want to rehash those issues, but we stand behind our positions and points.

We're not alone in struggling with the sea change. Judging by the letters we've received over recent months, the friends and longtimers we've been checking in with, and the response to our editorial, disappointment is a common feeling among hardcore fans in the Backstreets community.

Between the magazine (91 issues and counting — see below!) and thousands of online features, reviews, and editorials, Backstreets published a million and one words on the music that mattered to us the most. We stood humbled when Springsteen mentioned Backstreets in public after 20 years, when we helped create and organize the Bruce Springsteen Special Collection (which became the basis for the Bruce Springsteen Archives and Center For American Music). While it was deeply meaningful to hear him acknowledge the work we did, the real reward came when our readers cheered.

In the end, that's what This Thing of Ours has been for and about — fans and fandom. If Backstreets can have any kind of legacy, I'd like it to be that we blurred the line between fan effort and professional publication: to cover someone like Springsteen, we insisted on solid musical journalism, high editorial standards, honest writing (which often meant not toning down enthusiasm in order to appear cool or objective), and professional photography — while never losing sight of the connections and community that have given meaning to it all on the listeners' side of the equation.

The shared love and joy, the camaraderie, the minutiae and close attention paid, the passion, the post-shows.… if you're still on the train, may all of that continue for you. Rave on. We have every hope of meeting you further on up the road.
- February 3, 2023

That Editorial is pretty sad to read.

I often wonder how much that contractural dispute of the early 70’s burnt him when it comes to his current finances. His autobiography goes through his need to perform at his age; idk I just reckon if I was 72 and sold my songs for $500 million I’d be sitting back doing other stuff than a gruelling world tour.

Not complaining though. I have the piggy bank unopened. I fluked front of stage standing twice for the past two tours and I will be aiming for a third time, which one way or the other could be the last time.

I love Darlington County live, that guitar introduction, I could listen to it on a loop forever

Hanging Rock sucks. Worst venue ever on so many levels. I will never return there.
It's a song that is overplayed, but the performance from Atlanta was stellar.

That Editorial is pretty sad to read.

I often wonder how much that contractural dispute of the early 70’s burnt him when it comes to his current finances. His autobiography goes through his need to perform at his age; idk I just reckon if I was 72 and sold my songs for $500 million I’d be sitting back doing other stuff than a gruelling world tour.

Not complaining though. I have the piggy bank unopened. I fluked front of stage standing twice for the past two tours and I will be aiming for a third time, which one way or the other could be the last time.
He is practically a billionaire. It would have hurt him then, but it would not make a difference to him now.

He is most alive on the stage, no place he would rather be.

Lottery?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back