Bruce Springsteen

Remove this Banner Ad

The brass and horns section and the smooth female backing singers' voices cuts out some of Bruce's rough edges on his raspy voice.

Reminds me of what Jimmy Barnes did 30 years ago with his Soul Deep album.

Plenty of brass and female voices and Jimmy not screaming so much in 1992 as he does these days.

Although this was the best song on the album, duet with Farnsey.

Last edited:
Just flicked over to Ch 10 and in bottom right hand corner of murder drama starring bird who played Xena Warrior Princes, it says the Boss is on The Project on Monday.

Bruce with Jimmy Fallon - Monday night US time, did an interview than a song, so I assume its only singing on Tuesday and Wednesday's show this week and next Thursday night.

If I have counted right, 5 horns section + drummer + 2 guitars + 1 on tambourine + 3 male backing singers + 4 female backing singers + 2 violinists + keyboard player + Bruce = 20 on stage. Is that going to be the touring act.

Last night Bruce was on The Project. He talked about a lot more than Taylor Swift, but it makes for a good headline.

The question Waleed asks about class in the themes Bruce writes about. His answer is interesting that in US talking about class is a big taboo. Then says you can talk about race, religion, politics and class is last. he says he thinks its because its a hot wire thru American life.

After living in North America for 12 months, 33 years ago, I came back home telling people you don't talk about class in the US and Canada sits somewhere between US and Oz/UK/NZ. In the US its the rich, middle class and the working poor. You don't / can't talk about the working class.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nightshift was the song for Wednesday night with Jimmy. I counted 20 on stage plus Bruce. My favourite song on the album. Bruce's vocals shine.

Outstanding vocal.

It will be even better with the ESB playing
When the first few songs were put on you tube I posted a video above from 30 years ago with Jimmy Barnes doing his soul album and said what Bruce is doing reminded me of that, partly because they both growl and push their vocals to hit the high notes.

In Nightshift which is a great song by The Commodores, Bruce doesn't push his vocals and his voice is so smooth compared to a normal Bruce song.

I'm not sure an 8 or 9 piece E Street band can out play/shine a 20 piece band with 7 backing singers behind Bruce like in the video from The Tonight Show. Some of the faster up tempo songs sure, but not Nightshift.

The string players on Nighshift and Do I Love You, Indeed I Do, are brilliant.

The Album credits have 7 sings on all bar the first song - Only the Strong Survive.

If he is touring this album does that mean he will have 7 backing singers?? From the album's wiki page

• Bruce Springsteen – lead vocals, guitar
  • Ron Aniello – drums, bass, percussion, guitar, vibes, piano, organ, glockenspiel, keyboards, farfisa, background vocals
  • The E Street Horns
  • Rob Mathes – string arrangements

• Sam Moore – vocals (tracks 2 and 12)
  • Soozie Tyrell – backing vocals
  • Lisa Lowell – backing vocals
  • Michelle Moore – backing vocals
  • Curtis King Jr. – backing vocals
  • Dennis Collins – backing vocals
  • Fonzi Thornton – backing vocals

This is the poster that inspired Bruce to change the song he had been working on first titled Chrissie's song, then Walking in the Street, and then after playing around with the second version, and adding instrumental stuff from a third song Wings for Wheels, he changed it to Thunder Road. Bruce said he never saw the movie just the poster at the time.

I can't imagine it being called anything else.

The countdown continues to the first show. 4 days to go. So far he has announced 31 shows in USA and 31 shows in Europe, last show is in late July. If he extends the tour it will be more US shows in their summer after returning from Europe, and Oz and NZ might get shows in January/ February 2024.

I note the first 8 shows are in the warmer southern states, avoiding the cold and snow of NE and mid-west USA.

I think it was on his Jimmy Fallon interview where I saw Bruce say his solo album wont be what he plays on the tour, but I'd expect a couple of songs from there, Do I Love You for sure, and maybe 4 or 5 from Letter to You, including the the title track, Ghosts and I'll See You in My Dreams. The story below of rehearsals says they practised songs from both albums, but not which ones.

Anyone know what the line up of the E Street Band will be? Bruce, Roy, Stevie, Max, Nils, Gary, Jake and Charlie for sure, think I read somewhere Patti and Soozie are also touring. Is that correct? What about the full horns section? And the back up singers he used in 2013 and 2014 tours, as well as on Only the Strong Survive album?

Story about the rehearsals

Remove this Banner Ad

Back