Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

If you have never seen surfing at Teahupoo, watch some videos and you will change your mind. It is a legendary wave and a highlight every year of the World Surfing league. Here is a video to start you off.

yeah, I gather it is a special place.

Just dont know if having an event on the other part of the world fits. it is a part of France so that is a positive.

Guess it is not the first time it has happened. Melbourne had the horses in Sweden

If you have never seen surfing at Teahupoo, watch some videos and you will change your mind. It is a legendary wave and a highlight every year of the World Surfing league. Here is a video to start you off.

One sporting event I’d love to go to. It looks like you are a going to fall off a cliff the wave is that deep

yeah, I gather it is a special place.

Just dont know if having an event on the other part of the world fits. it is a part of France so that is a positive.

Guess it is not the first time it has happened. Melbourne had the horses in Sweden
Its a lot closer than Tahiti but I hope the French use 1 or both of the 2 most iconic mountain stages in the road race or time trial ie Alpe d'Heuz or Mont Ventoux that looks like the lunar surface.

Its a lot closer than Tahiti but I hope the French use 1 or both of the 2 most iconic mountain stages in the road race or time trial ie Alpe d'Heuz or Mont Ventoux that looks like the lunar surface.
I am wondering what they are going to do for that...hopefully, they dont go for a boring flat stage finish on the Champs-Élysées

they have so many options.

How far away from Paris are the cobblestones of the North......:cool:

One sporting event I’d love to go to. It looks like you are a going to fall off a cliff the wave is that deep
The wave is deep but the corals are close to the surface and can cause some real damage if you heck up and there are a couple of other reasons why its dangerous.

Attachments

• 5A369212-458A-40E3-B557-CCDFC5D4CDC8.jpeg
    5A369212-458A-40E3-B557-CCDFC5D4CDC8.jpeg
    38.2 KB · Views: 33
I am wondering what they are going to do for that...hopefully, they dont go for a boring flat stage finish on the Champs-Élysées

they have so many options.

How far away from Paris are the cobblestones of the North......:cool:
Paris-Roubaix is about a 250km race so I guess it could be a possibility but I reckon there will be a fair bit of whinging. Would be tough on the minor nation teams and riders who have probably never experienced that type of race.

Been watching the temperature in Brisbane the last 10 days to see how this time of year might affect the 2032 Olympics. The 24th to 31st July the maximum temperatures have been between 21.1 and 25.7. Yesterday 26, today 25 and tomorrow 28. There have been some cold mornings a 7.0 and 6.2 but most have been between 9 and 14 degrees.

Basically 60% of the events in Tokyo are indoors and the same will happen in Brisbane. A cut and paste of the schedule from the wiki page with the medal totals of the 100% indoor sports.
The other events are outdoors with some of the shooting events and a couple of the modern pentathlon disciplines being indoors.

AquaticsArtistic swimming
2​
xDiving
8​
xSwimming
35​
xWater polo
2​
Badmintonx
5​
BasketballBasketball
4​
x3×3 Basketball
Boxingx
13​
CyclingTrack cycling
12​
Equestrianx
6​
Fencingx
12​
GymnasticsArtistic
18​
xRhythmic
xTrampolining
Handballx
2​
Judox
15​
Karatex
8​
Sport climbingx
2​
Table tennisx
5​
Taekwondox
8​
VolleyballVolleyball
2​
Weightliftingx
14​
Wrestlingx
18​
Total Indoor eventsx

Some sports played in the middle of the day at 25 degrees will enjoy the cooler temperature eg road racing and long distance running events. Rain is the real issue but so far only 4.2mm was recorded on Saturday 24th.

Most nights at 9pm its been between 12-16 degrees.

I reckon track and field athletes and beach volleyball players will be most affected by the cooler temperatures outdoors at night time. Just about all other outdoor sports wont be affected by a cooler games. As I said rain will be the issue for some sports not cool temperatures.

Before 1992 most Olympics held athletics finals during daylight hours. Maybe they could go back so rather than having 9am to 1pm day sessions and 7pm to 11pm evening sessions they revert back to having the majority of finals when its warm and have day session finals between 11am and 3pm.

A 12noon athletics 100m final is at 10pm NY time and 3pm final is 1 am NY time.

NBC can get the IOC to change swimming times but not athletics, so they might like this. Maybe this is the compromise between NBC, IOC and local OCOG. Swimming goes back to night finals for local TV market and athletics becomes day finals for USA market.

AquaticsMarathon swimming
2​
Archeryx
5​
Athleticsx
Baseball
xBaseball
1​
xSoftball
1​
CanoeingSlalom
16​
xSprint
CyclingRoad cycling
4​
xBMX
4​
xMountain biking
2​
Field hockeyx
2​
Footballx
2​
Golfx
2​
Modern pentathlonx
2​
Rowingx
14​
Rugby sevensx
2​
Sailingx
10​
Shootingx
15​
Skateboardingx
4​
Surfingx
2​
Tennisx
5​
Triathlonx
3​
VolleyballBeach volleyball
Total Outdoor eventsx

Been watching the temperature in Brisbane the last 10 days to see how this time of year might affect the 2032 Olympics. The 24th to 31st July the maximum temperatures have been between 21.1 and 25.7. Yesterday 26, today 25 and tomorrow 28. There have been some cold mornings a 7.0 and 6.2 but most have been between 9 and 14 degrees.

I’m perplexed on the timing (I grew up in Brisbane). At that time of year a jumper is a must at night at the footy.

Are we ‘locked in’ to those dates? Was there pressure from the Nth Hempishere for those dates? Why not September just like Sydney 2000?

I’ve been to Sydney, Athens and London Olympics. The games should be T-shirt and beer weather. That’s what makes it great.

I’m perplexed on the timing (I grew up in Brisbane). At that time of year a jumper is a must at night at the footy.

Are we ‘locked in’ to those dates? Was there pressure from the Nth Hempishere for those dates? Why not September just like Sydney 2000?

I’ve been to Sydney, Athens and London Olympics. The games should be T-shirt and beer weather. That’s what makes it great.
Yes NBC and IOC have basically said they want the Olympics over by mid to late August. Because its 11 years out they might be able to move it by a couple of weeks, but that would be the max. I reckon it was a Johnny Coates move to put in those dates so that nobody could complain about Oz having them later than normal like Sydney.

Maybe Coates' last hurrah at the IOC is get them to accept a change of dates by 2 or 3 weeks in a few years time, but that would be the maximum they would be pushed back.

Since Sydney these have been the dates or proposed dates

2004 August 13-29
2008 August 8-24
2012 July 27- August 12
2016 August 5-21 Rio is 23 degrees south which is similar latitude to Rockhampton ie Tropic of Capricorn latitude
2020 July 23 - August 8
2024 July 26 - August 11
2028 July 21 - August 6
2032 July 23 - August 8

Edit NFL starts weekend after the first Monday in September Labor Day holiday in USA. That is part of NBC's desire to not compete with NFL, which they have some rights to. NHL and NBA starts first week of October. Euro soccer leagues start late August so European Broadcasting Union probably also pushed for an Olympics before they kick off.

Beside broadcasters not wanting to conflict with popular yearly sports competitions that typically begin in the early northern hemisphere spring, I'd imagine having the Olympics over by mid-late August also means that professional team sports leagues (I'm thinking specifically about football and basketball, but I imagine it might apply to some other sports like handball, volleyball etc too) are affected as little as possible, which should in theory mean that those competitions in the Olympics are less compromised.

This timing also allows the road cycling to fit in in between 2 of the 3 Grand Tours (between the Tour de France and Vuelta a Espana)

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2032 is 50 years since the 1982 Commonwealth Games were held in Brisbane.

No successful 1982 Comm Games, Brisbane doesn't bid in 1985 for 1992 games and start the ball rolling for Sydney and effectively Brisbane 2032.

Lord Mayor Sally Anne Atkinson first Liberal Mayor of Brisbane in about 20-25 years of Labor mayors, won office in early 1985 and lead the bid - as the final vote was in late 1985. Brisbane is the only capital city council in Oz that is run like a North American or European city so that's why she took the lead role unlike the 2032 bid with the premier taking the lead. In 1984 the Qld government backed the bid. A cut and paste of something I wrote elsewhere a few years ago.

Even though Brisbane was one of 6 bidding cites, and made it to the round 3, it was smashed by Barcelona by 5 to 1 ( Samaranch had so much support to make sure Spain would host the games - and what a bloody brilliant job Barcelona did :thumbsu:), Sally Anne who spoke French, wowed the majority of IOC delegates. She won re-election as Lord Mayor in 1988, but when the Melbourne bid team went courting the IOC members in 1989-1990, for the 1996 Olympics, they regularly would be ask, where is Sally Anne? Why isn't Sally Anne part of the bid team? Sally Anne narrowly lost the election for Lord Mayor in early 1991.

A few months later, Rod McGeogh, a Liberal party heavy weight, who had been appointed head of the Sydney bid team in late 1990 and by now had established his power base, appointed Sally Anne to the bid team. Sally Anne then on a part time basis over 2 years, weaved her magic and helped get Sydney over the line by 1 vote over Beijing. Without the Commonwealth Games in Brisbane in 1982, and Sally Anne Atkinson, there would have been no Sydney 2000 Olympics.

We need Matilda from 82 Brizvegas games to come out out of storage and wink to the world again.

And don't leave Tassie off the map like in 1982.

Haha someone else is thinking about Matilda. Went to the ABC sport site and scrolled down the page and saw this story written by a couple of Sunshine Coast ABC reporters an hour ago.

Matilda was the mascot for the 1982 Commonwealth Games and now stands outside a service station at Traveston, north of Brisbane.(ABC News)

1628574526695.png

You'd think the IOC would grab the opportunity to have 1.4 billion Indian eyeballs fixated on their broadcasts?

Better than 3x3 basketball at least or some of the other rubbish

Yes NBC and IOC have basically said they want the Olympics over by mid to late August. Because its 11 years out they might be able to move it by a couple of weeks, but that would be the max. I reckon it was a Johnny Coates move to put in those dates so that nobody could complain about Oz having them later than normal like Sydney.

Maybe Coates' last hurrah at the IOC is get them to accept a change of dates by 2 or 3 weeks in a few years time, but that would be the maximum they would be pushed back.

Since Sydney these have been the dates or proposed dates

2004 August 13-29
2008 August 8-24
2012 July 27- August 12
2016 August 5-21 Rio is 23 degrees south which is similar latitude to Rockhampton ie Tropic of Capricorn latitude
2020 July 23 - August 8
2024 July 26 - August 11
2028 July 21 - August 6
2032 July 23 - August 8

Edit NFL starts weekend after the first Monday in September Labor Day holiday in USA. That is part of NBC's desire to not compete with NFL, which they have some rights to. NHL and NBA starts first week of October. Euro soccer leagues start late August so European Broadcasting Union probably also pushed for an Olympics before they kick off.
Making them end of august would be a world of different. Things start to warm up then. They are currently scheduled 2 weeks from the middle of winter.

its a brisbane aldi games in the middle of winter following the paris and la games which will be massive events. Brisbane will look like a joke in comparison if they dont at least fix the timing issue.

1896..........1956........2000......2032............2080??

So 60 years to get the first games to Oz after they started, then 44, then 32. I don't think the 4th games will be in Oz again 20 years after Brisbane. 2080 is probably the earliest Oz will get them again, given the rule changes that cities don't have to build massive new infrastructure to win hosting rights.

Can see previous bidding cities like Chicago, New York, Toronto, Berlin, Istanbul, Rome, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Madrid, etc getting a go, as well as smaller countries who have great Olympic history getting a go, like Sweden and Stockholm, Hungary and Budapest, Czech Republic and Prague etc, maybe Russia or Ukraine get a games if they ever clean up their acts, another games in China and another Asian nation, maybe India, and the middle east will want a games there, but brutal weather in their summer probably stops them unless they can do a Qatar and FIFA dodgy deal.

Maybe 2100 is more realistic for the next games in Oz after Brisbane.

Since Oz got the Games in 1956, the only country smaller than Oz population wise, to win the hosting rights, was Greece in 2004. The next closest when they hosted the games, would have been Canada in 1976 with about 1.6 times Oz's population at the time.

1896..........1956........2000......2032............2080??

So 60 years to get the first games to Oz after they started, then 44, then 32. I don't think the 4th games will be in Oz again 20 years after Brisbane. 2080 is probably the earliest Oz will get them again, given the rule changes that cities don't have to build massive new infrastructure to win hosting rights.

Can see previous bidding cities like Chicago, New York, Toronto, Berlin, Istanbul, Rome, Cape Town, Buenos Aires, Madrid, etc getting a go, as well as smaller countries who have great Olympic history getting a go, like Sweden and Stockholm, Hungary and Budapest, Czech Republic and Prague etc, maybe Russia or Ukraine get a games if they ever clean up their acts, another games in China and another Asian nation, maybe India, and the middle east will want a games there, but brutal weather in their summer probably stops them unless they can do a Qatar and FIFA dodgy deal.

Maybe 2100 is more realistic for the next games in Oz after Brisbane.
The games arent going smaller. They are going bigger. Growing number of events as the olympics move into extreme games.

Paris is going to have half a million at the opening ceremony. Both paris and LA already have massive infrastructure. having large world mega rich cities host the olympics two times in a row is going to make the olympics games even bigger. The failures of rio will be long forgotton by the time we get to 2032. Coates is also gone and he drove the small games idea cos he wanted brisbane to get them.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back