Summer #Brisbane2032 - Brisbane announced as host of the 2032 Olympics!

Remove this Banner Ad

Went to a lunch with the organiser of the Paris games in December.

The idea is that the Opening Ceremony will for the first time be staged outside the stadium along the Seine.

More info here -

The idea for the Brisbane games, from what I understand, is an opening ceremony down the Brisbane River along the redeveloped South Bank and proposed North Bank of Brisbane…
Nice way to save money and bloat the attendance figures to try justify a massive waste of money that should be going to housing, education, health, defence etc

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nice way to save money and bloat the attendance figures to try justify a massive waste of money that should be going to housing, education, health, defence etc

They reduced some costs on one part of the games by having it run outside but more importantly artifically inflate the crowds and level of interest to make it look less like the colossal junket it is.

NBC has the rights to these games. In 2014, they signed a record deal of USD7.75bn to broadcast every Olympics. Ratings for NBC is at an all-time low for Beijing 2022 after the low from Tokyo 6 months ago. Swimming finals could be staged mid-morning to cater for US primetime but the Australian network will want it in primetime.

NBC has the rights to these games. In 2014, they signed a record deal of USD7.75bn to broadcast every Olympics. Ratings for NBC is at an all-time low for Beijing 2022 after the low from Tokyo 6 months ago. Swimming finals could be staged mid-morning to cater for US primetime but the Australian network will want it in primetime.
If Sydney 2000 was any guide and Channel 7 are involved as the host broadcaster it'll be in Australian primetime

If Sydney 2000 was any guide and Channel 7 are involved as the host broadcaster it'll be in Australian primetime
But sydney is not a good guide. Beijing and tokyo is a good guide given they are more recent and are on perths time zone. Both had swimming in the morning. our prime time is like 6am in the american east coast. 3am on the west coast. Its not happening then

Athletics finals will be the day. Swimming finals will be night. Local time.
That’s my tip
Nah it will be similar to Tokyo.

Swimming will be morning finals 10am to 1pm block. Athletics partly because of a combo of USA TV time and temperature, 1/4 to 1/3rd of the athletics finals, mainly field finals, will be between 11am and 2pm with the marathons and 50km walk start 7am like normal. The big track finals will still be at night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Swimming finals will be in the morning. Because it will be in prime time in America, even though they don’t show the events live
Pretty sure they showed the big finals US stars were expected to win in Tokyo live on US TV, given the tweets I saw on NBC's Olympic twitter account.

Then again NBC Universal had several channels covering Tokyo, so maybe it wasn't live on the main free TV NBC network channel.

Watched the first period of the women's ice hockey gold medal game and Canada dominated and are 2-0 up.

Both teams had an excellent chance to score with 90 seconds to go, but both goalies defended really well.

In Seoul 1988 they moved the Opening Ceremony to daytime so the US can have a live broadcas. Ditto with Nagano 1998. Sydney 2000 started at 7.30pm AEDT

Daylight savings could be introduced for SEQ during the Olympics to allow more daylight from 23 July to 8 August 2032.

In Seoul 1988 they moved the Opening Ceremony to daytime so the US can have a live broadcast. Ditto with Nagano 1998. Sydney 2000 started at 7.30pm AEDT

Daylight savings could be introduced for SEQ during the Olympics to allow more daylight from 23 July to 8 August 2032.
I'm pretty sure Seoul was always going to be daytime - probably influenced somewhat by US TV.

However, Friday night opening ceremonies at summer Olympics only started at Atlanta in 1996. Before that it was a Saturday thing.

My memory of winter olympics opening ceremonies isn't great but I looked up 1994 Lillehammer, and it was on a Saturday.

The big US TV $$$ started with LA 1984 and that's when the US network covering the games, started to have a big say in the time of some events.

Ric Birch who was in charge of producing the Brisbane 1982 Comm Games opening and closing ceremonies, then was drafted as an assistant producer for LA's opening and closing ceremonies. The opening ceremony started during daylight hours, pretty sure 5pm LA time for 8pm eastern time zone. Moscow in 1980 was a daylight afternoon event, as was 1976 Montreal and 1972 Munich.

Birch was appointed as producer of Barcelona's ceremonies in 1990 or 1991 and he said that he would only do it if it was a night time ceremonies and he could do things with lighting only possible at night. Since then every summer Olympics opening and closing ceremonies has started around 8pm local time or a bit later if the sunset is after 8pm.

I didn't go to the opening ceremony of Sydney, which Birch was EP of, but I got a ticket to the last dress rehearsal, and pretty sure it was a 7pm start. Sydney's opening went on forever and I think as a result, its been limited to 3 hours and why 8pm has become the standard starting time for the ceremonies.

It will be interesting to see what time LA 2028 starts as the lighting has become such an important aspect of the ceremonies, and pressure will be on to start it no later than 6pm local or 9pm eastern time.

I doubt Queensland will introduce daylight saving in July. They have resisted it for 30 years after a 2 year trial. NSW pushed it forward a few weeks for a mid September Games, with the last day of the Olympics being the normal start of daylight savings anyway.

The sun gets up at 4.30am in Brisbane in summertime, but 6.30am at end of July time. Not sure the locals want it to still be dark at 7.30am.

I must admit that while I am generally ambivalent towards the Olympics and the Comm Games, I do get more interested if they are being hosted in Australia because I can actually follow events in real time and of course we get to watch all of the finals at night. We certainly will NEVER get to see the Olympic Games ever grace Melbourne or Sydney again. According to John Coates the IOC have declared that they want the future Olympics to be held in either July or August because that's what the American broadcasters demand and they do pay billions directly to the IOC (About 62% of the Broadcasting Rights cut went directly to the IOC and not to Tokyo). It makes one wonder what the IOC actually spend their billions on?

It's a bit of a bummer for Australian cities South of the Queensland border because now Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth are all excluded from hosting the Olympics ever again. Obviously Brisbane will only get one shot at hosting them so it's highly unlikely that any of us will ever see the Olympics in Australia again after 2032, so make the most of it.

Of course Australia isn't the only country affected by this, as it also affects Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, South Africa and any country that cuts the 30 Degree Latitude line.

It seems that in the future the rest of Australia may just have to make do with hosting the Comm Games which don't impose those BS restrictions that the IOC do. Money Talks!

Last edited:
I must admit that while I am generally ambivalent towards the Olympics and the Comm Games, I do get more interested if they are being hosted in Australia because I can actually follow events in real time and of course we get to watch all of the finals at night. We certainly will NEVER get to see the Olympic Games ever grace Melbourne or Sydney again. According to John Coates the IOC have declared that they want the future Olympics to be held in either July or August because that's what the American broadcasters demand and they do pay billions directly to the IOC (About 62% of the Broadcasting Rights cut went directly to the IOC and not to Tokyo). It makes one wonder what the IOC actually spend their billions on?

It's a bit of a bummer for Australian cities South of the Queensland border because now Sydney, Melbourne, Adelaide and Perth are all excluded from hosting the Olympics ever again. Obviously Brisbane will only get one shot at hosting them so it's highly unlikely that any of us will ever see the Olympics in Australia again after 2032, so make the most of it.

Of course Australia isn't the only country affected by this, as it also affects Argentina, Chile, New Zealand, South Africa and any country that cuts the 30 Degree Latitude line.

It seems that in the future the rest of Australia may just have to make do with hosting the Comm Games which don't impose those BS restrictions that the IOC do. Money Talks!
Theres going to be a civil war in america in the next 25 years. America aint going to be providing much ioc funding for too much longer.

the american conservatives are already shunning the olympics. Latest olympics rated terribly in america.

In Seoul 1988 they moved the Opening Ceremony to daytime so the US can have a live broadcas. Ditto with Nagano 1998. Sydney 2000 started at 7.30pm AEDT

Lol no they didnt. night time wasnt a thing back then.

barcelona was during the day too.

True, LA in 1984 was a daylight opening and the 1982 Comm Games Opening Ceremony in Brisbane started mid-afternoon. Even Moscow in 1980 was in the afternoon, but the ceremony went for about seven hours (4 hours of it was the most magnificent pageant ever) so it was mid evening by the time it finished. :) Before that, Munich in 1972 was definitely a daylight opening and I can't vouch for Montreal 1976, perhaps the less said about the Montreal Olympics from an Australian point of view the better ;)

The Comm Games only started doing night opening ceremonies from 1998 in Kuala Lumpur but that was mainly to beat the tropical heat and the standard Malaysian 5:00 - 5:30 pm monsoon. Since 1998 every Comm Games has conducted night OS's ever since.

Barcelona, the opening ceremony was at night. Ric Birch took the job as EP of Barcelona opening ceremony after being the EP on the 1982 Brisbane Comm Games and an assistant producer on 1984 LA Games, because it was at night and he could do things that can't be done during the day time.

Don't you remember the archer firing off his arrow to light the cauldron at night time? Here is a reminder.

Barcelona, the opening ceremony was at night. Ric Birch took the job as EP of Barcelona opening ceremony after being the EP on the 1982 Brisbane Comm Games and an assistant producer on 1984 LA Games, because it was at night and he could do things that can't be done during the day time.

Don't you remember the archer firing off his arrow to light the cauldron at night time? Here is a reminder.

I stand corrected. Well the ones before 88 were all day ones.

I stand corrected. Well the ones before 88 were all day ones.
I rather liked the handraulics of a daylight opening ceremony before they started using lights and projections to create effects. It was something about the masses of people choreographed in bright coloured costumes creating the images and effects that made those ceremonies worth watching. Moscow's Olympics and the 1982 Comm Games exemplified this.

Weather watch given the Brisbane games will be held 23rd July to 8th August 2032.

Unless global warming kicks in a bit more and we are in strong El Nino rather than La Nina cycles, it going to be a cool summer / winter Olympics and might become known as the bring your jumper Olympics.

The weather so far. I will up date this over the next 2 weeks. From the BOM's Brisbane observation station.

.23rdJuly24thJuly25thJuly
TimeTempRainTempRainTempRain
6am
14.7​
0mm
12.0​
0mm
10.3​
0mm
9am
18.4​
0mm