Aussies Brisbane 2032 - What sports should be included?

Remove this Banner Ad

And yet soccer is being played in Melbourne and Sydney (and not Darwin).
How many games? 4 or 6 each out of probably 50 maybe 60 games if they increase women's teams from 12 to 16? soccer can handle being played in winter, cricket can't.

How many games? 4 or 6 each out of probably 50 maybe 60 games if they increase women's teams from 12 to 16?
Yeah that'd be 4 or 6 more than Darwin. But it's a pretty safe bet they will collectively host a quarter of the matches.

soccer can handle being played in winter, cricket can't.
...that's why I said Docklands would be an option while the MCG/SCG/etc wouldn't be.

Are you even reading what you're responding to?

Yeah that'd be 4 or 6 more than Darwin. But it's a pretty safe bet they will collectively host a quarter of the matches.

...that's why I said Docklands would be an option while the MCG/SCG/etc wouldn't be.

Are you even reading what you're responding to?
You said -
If cricket got in, there's no way it'd be played exclusively at rinky-dink regional venues.

Docklands isn't a guaranteed venue. The other major cricket grounds are out of the picture . So indeed there is some way that it could all be all at regional grounds and Allan Border Field in Brisbane.

And the soccer will have a few games in Melbourne and Sydney as a nod to host cities of past games as well as basic logistics. Adelaide and Perth are being ignored.

Anyway its still against the balance of probabilities it will even happen.

Docklands isn't a guaranteed venue. The other major cricket grounds are out of the picture . So indeed there is some way that it could all be all at regional grounds and Allan Border Field in Brisbane.
I'm merely confident Docklands would be used. But I guarantee Metricon (probably at its 35k CommGames capacity) would host the medal matches. Queensland govt. isn't going to let a couple of Suns games get in the way.

Snooker and our own Neil Robertson would be a shoe in for Gold considering Ronnie OSullivan the worlds best hates playing anywhere outside the London Metro area these days!

Its not played in as many countries as baseball, baseball is played across the Americas and Asia at a high level, and the USA got it in when the TV $$$ took a massive jump in 1984, they started it as a demo sport at LA in 1984 and so did Seoul 4 years later, so it was made a full sport in 1992 and with Softball being the female equivalent

Plus no team sport in the Olympics goes for 7 hours a day, so cricket wasn't a feasible option until T20 came along and got its own world cup and women started playing it at a decent level.
Cricket is played in more nations. Cricket has 82 ranked national sides to 81.

Cricket is aiming for permanent inclusion as of 2028. The Americans always get their way and there is a lot of private money behind it in America they have set up a minor pro league with 27 sides across 4 divisions that gets underway next week with Major League Cricket set to kick off in 2023.

Cricket USA and it’s financial backers see Olympic inclusion as essential to launching the game in the American market

Cricket and rugby league. Very interested to see how the hundred goes in the next few years. If it can establish itself then we might see 'the hundred' version of cricket in the olympics.

Cricket and rugby league. Very interested to see how the hundred goes in the next few years. If it can establish itself then we might see 'the hundred' version of cricket in the olympics.
No way we will see the hundred. It’s not played internationally and the ICC wouldn’t endorse it the IOC wants the major nations to buy in so it has to be a format that is played.

Also league would have to become recognised as a sport to be considered. I doubt they will get it in due to the incredibly limited international presence, similarity to 7’s an existing Olympic sport and the lack of female participation

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No way we will see the hundred. It’s not played internationally and the ICC wouldn’t endorse it the IOC wants the major nations to buy in so it has to be a format that is played.

Also league would have to become recognised as a sport to be considered. I doubt they will get it in due to the incredibly limited international presence, similarity to 7’s an existing Olympic sport and the lack of female participation

It's not played internationally yet, hence the interest in the format whether it develops or not. 7s and league are completely different.

You said -
If cricket got in, there's no way it'd be played exclusively at rinky-dink regional venues.

And the soccer will have a few games in Melbourne and Sydney as a nod to host cities of past games as well as basic logistics. Adelaide and Perth are being ignored.

Anyway its still against the balance of probabilities it will even happen.
It will get played at Metricon. The Rugby and soccer will be at Suncorp/Dolphin oval/Ballymore. Athletics will be at the redeveloped Gabba. Metricon will be used for the cricket

It's not played internationally yet, hence the interest in the format whether it develops or not. 7s and league are completely different.
And will never be played internationally India loves t20 and there is no room for a 4th format

But the version of league that the IRL proposed was 9’s as there is no way you could get through actually RL in a two week event just like it isn’t possible with actual RU

Also the fact you disagree on how similar league and 7’s in doesn’t change the fact that it has all the other obstacles in its way

From what I understand, there are 25 core sports and we get to pick 3 from a list of recognised sports. Surfing will definitely be in 2032. so that leaves 2 more.

Squash
finally squash. please. no other sport deserves it more. no other sport needs it as much as Squash. People love playing it in Aus. Really is now or never for squash

Netball would be a funny one. super popular here but lacks a men's comp and is dominated by a few nations. Would the IOC introduce a sport just for one sex? Would they be willing to give Australia a free medal. I remain doubtful but they have applied in previous years.

If cricket ever wanted to become an Olympic sport, 2032 should be their aim. I still dont know how it would really work. Having a cricket pitch and a bunch of ovals is expensive. I still think cricket is too big and too complicated. They need another form of cricket like 7's.

Aussie Rules and Rugby league nines are no chance. Aussie Rules is not global and Rugby 9's is basically Rugby 7's.
I absolutely agree with squash, it truly is a wonderfull sport which i quit all other sports to play. as someone who will be 24 in the 2032 olympics, i sincerely hope that Squash will be added. The only problem i can see with squash being added is that one country will dominate and that is Egypt. If squash is added to the olympics, Egypt will basically have been handed as many medals as the event offers. Thankfully, that is now and in 2032 things could be very different, especially with so many upcoming juniors that i have played with.

I absolutely agree with squash, it truly is a wonderfull sport which i quit all other sports to play. as someone who will be 24 in the 2032 olympics, i sincerely hope that Squash will be added. The only problem i can see with squash being added is that one country will dominate and that is Egypt. If squash is added to the olympics, Egypt will basically have been handed as many medals as the event offers. Thankfully, that is now and in 2032 things could be very different, especially with so many upcoming juniors that i have played with.

You’re 13?

I guess that’s why we have a swear filter.

Good luck, train hard, dream big.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back