UK Brexit - The UK referendum on leaving the EU - Pt 2: Johnson's Folly

Remove this Banner Ad

MaddAdam

Cancelled
10k Posts Bay 13: Vintage Bay Podcaster North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2009 Player Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
In the not so distant future
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Going to happen next year it seems.

My tip? England votes to leave, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland vote to stay.

But overall Britain votes to leave.

Then all hell breaks loose.

People in NI didn't know that until now though. They laboured under the delusion they were equal members of the union, when in reality to the English they were the red-headed step-child that nobody really likes. Ironically for unionists, there is actually a country that does want them, but unionists can't abide the thought of reunification.

By the way, Wales voted for Brexit, although English migrants to Wales could have been the ones tipping the balance.
I think there were voting analyses confirming this.

They didn't even audit their systems? Ask the developers "we good for this Y2K thing"?

Nope. The IT department checked a few spreadsheets that the risk dept used (and this was on the trading floor where the risks were potentially massive) for date stamp settings. All they did was tick the boxes for the regulator (FCA). I was utterly amazed. I had mates at other investment banks who were in big teams who spent a fortune on it.

The same bank also had a smoking room on the way to the toilets. They werent European nor American. Their atttitude shall we say was slightly different to most of the City.

I have no doubt that some people did more work than was needed, or paid consultants too much or whatever.

Has happened over and over. Y2K, EURO, MIfid 1 AND 2, swaps to OIS etc etc. Heaps of Aussies in London have made a VERY good living on a succession of IT projects in investment banking and managed to charge outlandish day rates.

Non IT people dont speak IT so the ability do overcook the goose is always there.

Last edited:

93% of the fishing community voted for Brexit after listening to campaigners like Farage, now Farage is nowhere to be found.

You would think he is in government and negotiated the deal the way you carry on

Meanwhile the EU is shafting Australia. Beyond belief that anyone can defend the EU. Shafted British fishermen, then Ireland, then Australia.

Rapidly (or rabidly) becoming an international pariah.

You would think he is in government and negotiated the deal the way you carry on

Yes going by that Farage had no influence on Brexit too right?

Breaking news! Fishermen shocked when a serial liar lied to them! LOOL!

He has been poisoning others for years saying, once we get control of our waters we will do this and that, ignoring the fact that 70% of the exports go to the EU. Has he not???? i have been warning you for years that this is death warrant for producers of FRESH foods due to loss of shelf life due to paperwork, your comeback was "how did they do it before 80s", ignorant of the fact that 3rd country rule was in place since 2011 which UK voted for.

Farage is great friends with Fishing for leave campaign! he had significant influence! You get what you deserve.

Meanwhile the EU is shafting Australia. Beyond belief that anyone can defend the EU. Shafted British fishermen, then Ireland, then Australia.

Are you really daft or just pretending to be? On one hand lulz@EU for not vaccinatting people, nek minit, look they are blocking export of vaccines.

Australia has no COVID atm. The AZ doses will save lives in the EU, not so much in Australia (not saying this is right by any stretch of the imagination but something to consider is that the vaccines are not as important to Australia as other countries)

Australia also doesn’t need the vaccines right now. Places like the Czech Republic need them more.

Well done to Italy and the EU! You are getting desperate day by day with these absolutely pathetic arguments.

Last edited:
Shafted British fishermen, then Ireland, then Australia.

Pray tell how? the rules for the 3rd country has been there since 2011 for import of fish and seafood. It's not something invented for Brexit. UK simply doesn't have the market to consume what they catch, unless the price decreases drastically which will force the fishermen out of business.

You thought that the EU would come crawling on their bellies with an open checkbook begging "please sir, may we buy some fish?"

No idea why they or anyone believed the Tories and UKIP, but here we all are.

I have been telling you this for years and you have been ignoring me, FRESH produce like seafood, meat etc CANNOT be exported to distant countries without significant damages to the seller (3/4 days worth shelf life is billions of dollars worth losses) resulting in massive losses, you are now learning what non-tariff barriers are.

And to think just a few short months ago people were cheering on the idea of gunboats being sent into the channel to protect the fish? Pray tell, where you gonna sell all of it? LOL! USA? India? sure,, try exporting shellfish to USA and see the vast amount of paperwork and the amount of time it takes!

If do feel sorry for the fishermen who didn't vote for this shitshow. As for the ones that did... looks like they're getting what they voted for.

Poor meds! stick to the vaccine argument, you do have a point there! anything else is just pure desperation!

Last edited:
Nope. The IT department checked a few spreadsheets that the risk dept used (and this was on the trading floor where the risks were potentially massive) for date stamp settings. All they did was tick the boxes for the regulator (FCA). I was utterly amazed. I had mates at other investment banks who were in big teams who spent a fortune on it.

The same bank also had a smoking room on the way to the toilets. They werent European nor American. Their atttitude shall we say was slightly different to most of the City.

Has happened over and over. Y2K, EURO, MIfid 1 AND 2, swaps to OIS etc etc. Heaps of Aussies in London have made a VERY good living on a succession of IT projects in investment banking and managed to charge outlandish day rates.

Non IT people dont speak IT so the ability do overcook the goose is always there.

Hai.

All the GFC Basel stuff was a great earner.

There is always something though. Just finished a few years of Windows 10/365 migrations where there was a heap of overkill.

Ok Janitor. That doesn't mean it was a hoax because some morons overpaid.

You have a massive lack of understanding of nearly every topic. Amazeballs.

They should be worried about their joke of a union instead of worrying about EU , which vast majority of the people back!

Nearly three in four Scots believe the country would “fare better” outside the United Kingdom, a new poll has found.
71 per cent of poll respondents said that Scotland would “fare better without being part of the UK”, while 53 per cent backed independence.

More than 1,000 Scottish adults were involved in the research, which was carried out between 18 and 22 February by Savanta ComRes for ITV’s Tonight programme

Looks like Italy driving that doesn’t it? Complained that the EU wasn’t enforcing export controls?

Its shitty, but you can see why they think they need to do it.

Looks like Italy driving that doesn’t it? Complained that the EU wasn’t enforcing export controls?

Its shitty, but you can see why they think they need to do it.

Well remember medusala argued countries have no sovereignty. Nek Minit, Italy blocks EU exports. In the meantime..

In a amazing piece of journalism the Daily Express reports "EU risks Joe Biden’s fury as Brexit move scuppers US President’s top priority". I kid you not. This is the same story, its just that they spin it as if its the EU that is breaking the NI Protocol, rather than the British government.

Just how stupid do you have to be to be a Daily Express reader?

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1...u-northern-ireland-protocol-boris-johnson-spt

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well remember @medusala argued countries have no sovereignty. Nek Minit, Italy blocks EU exports. In the meantime..
From what I could see it’s EU enforcing their rules after Italy complained?

From what I could see it’s EU enforcing their rules after Italy complained?
EU did not 'act', sovereignty wins again, see here:

Rome decided to prevent the export of 250,000 doses of the vaccine, officials said, as it moves to keep doses inside the union.

Italy notified Brussels of its proposed decision at the end of last week under the EU’s vaccine export transparency regime. The commission had the power to object to the Italian decision and did not, officials said.

Mario Draghi, the new Italian prime minister, questioned why the EU was not imposing stricter vaccine export controls at a summit of EU leaders last month.

It's fair, Europeans are dying in thousands every day compared to ZERO in Australia, it's totally dumb to export vaccines when Europe has been the worst it.

Heaps of Aussies in London have made a VERY good living on a succession of IT projects in investment banking and managed to charge outlandish day rates.
It's a shame I am not contracting out to any UK companies. Would love to think there is a possibility I am "ripping off" med's company.

And FMD the gall for someone who works in investment banking to talk about others charging outlandish rates. Is there an industry more full of parasites and low-lifes than investment banking? No better than real estate agents but pay more for their cocaine.

The world thanks you all for 2008 BTW. That was sick fun.

Nope. The IT department checked a few spreadsheets that the risk dept used (and this was on the trading floor where the risks were potentially massive) for date stamp settings.
OK so they DID check and found straight up that they were fine.

OK so they DID check and found straight up that they were fine.

The so called check was a five minute job. It was a token check to keep the regulator happy.

It's a shame I am not contracting out to any UK companies. Would love to think there is a possibility I am "ripping off" med's company.

And FMD the gall for someone who works in investment banking to talk about others charging outlandish rates. Is there an industry more full of parasites and low-lifes than investment banking? No better than real estate agents but pay more for their cocaine.

The world thanks you all for 2008 BTW. That was sick fun.

Unhinged throttlerism at car park basement depths. Invisibles are a massive export earner for the UK.

As for 2008 the trouble was idiot legislation like CRA. It was hardly lack of regulation (how many hedge funds fell over?). Yeah stuff all. Why were losses so much bigger in high regulation countries amongst retails banks than pure investment banks?

You so remind me of that callous individual on Westminster Bridge walking past a terrorist victim and wallowing in callous indifference and ignorance.

I havent worked in investment banking for a few years but knock yourself with your first year Arts level of misology.

As for 2008 the trouble was idiot legislation like CRA. It was hardly lack of regulation (how many hedge funds fell over?). Yeah stuff all. Why were losses so much bigger in high regulation countries amongst retails banks than pure investment banks?
Yep, all those benevolent financiers were just victims of a system rigged against them. :drunk:

Delusions of grandeur as well.

I'm sure all the leading egotists in the industry have managed to justify how it happened, and they middle-of-the-roads can always hide behind that, which is handy enough i suppose.

Last edited:
Yes going by that Farage had no influence on Brexit too right?

Breaking news! Fishermen shocked when a serial liar lied to them! LOOL!

He has been poisoning others for years saying, once we get control of our waters we will do this and that, ignoring the fact that 70% of the exports go to the EU. Has he not???? i have been warning you for years that this is death warrant for producers of FRESH foods due to loss of shelf life due to paperwork, your comeback was "how did they do it before 80s", ignorant of the fact that 3rd country rule was in place since 2011 which UK voted for.

Farage is great friends with Fishing for leave campaign! he had significant influence! You get what you deserve.

Are you really daft or just pretending to be? On one hand lulz@EU for not vaccinatting people, nek minit, look they are blocking export of vaccines.

Australia has no COVID atm. The AZ doses will save lives in the EU, not so much in Australia (not saying this is right by any stretch of the imagination but something to consider is that the vaccines are not as important to Australia as other countries)

Australia also doesn’t need the vaccines right now. Places like the Czech Republic need them more.

Well done to Italy and the EU! You are getting desperate day by day with these absolutely pathetic arguments.
I hope Australia gets appropriate compensation. Such as 150-200% of our vaccine purchase price

I hope Australia gets appropriate compensation. Such as 150-200% of our vaccine purchase price

Why? EU has contracts with AZ , on a first come first serve basis. You can't sell to Australia cause they are paying a higher price, this is the very basis why the UK and US have exported **** all to any country, including the EU.

Australia already received 300,000 doses of AZ vaccine. Why not ask US/UK to open their gates too?

Why? EU has contracts with AZ , on a first come first serve basis. You can't sell to Australia cause they are paying a higher price, this is the very basis why the UK and US have exported **** all to any country, including the EU.

Australia already received 300,000 doses of AZ vaccine. Why not ask US/UK to open their gates too?
My understanding is we had paid already for this batch; therefore if Italy have seized it we should be compensated

My understanding is we had paid already for this batch; therefore if Italy have seized it we should be compensated

No it's not, AZ will be in breach of contract! it's AZ's problem not EU's problem. Italy is spot on, even Germany and France have backed Italy on this one. UK has signed 3 months before the EU and they are getting delivered ahead of EU. EU is 2nd in line, Australia is last in the queue. But we will start producing vaccines at home in a couple of weeks

Is AstraZeneca in breach of its contract with the EU?

DW fact check: Probably true. Should AstraZeneca, per its announcement, be able to deliver only 40% of the agreed amount by the end of the first quarter, it could be in "breach of contract", according to MEP Tiemo Wölken of the Social Democrats. However, he pointed out that he does not have a copy of the contract to hand. The EU is keeping this contract and most others under wraps. Only the agreement with CureVac has been made partially public.

The EU has also backed them at this stage:

Highlighting the EU’s role in the vaccine research, development and production, the German government also justified the export restriction.

“In general, vaccine exports aren’t stopped as long as the contracts with the EU are abided by,” German government spokesman Steffen Seibert said. “A lot of vaccines go from the EU to third countries, while nothing or almost nothing is exported from the United States and Great Britain.”

Earlier, German Health Minister Jens Spahn said that in general terms, it was right for the EU to ensure that vaccine makers followed through on promised deliveries. But he also said that it was important for EU-wide coordination on export restrictions.

No it's not, AZ will be in breach of contract! it's AZ's problem not EU's problem. Italy is spot on, even Germany and France have backed Italy on this one. UK has signed 3 months before the EU and they are getting delivered ahead of EU. EU is 2nd in line, Australia is last in the queue. But we will start producing vaccines at home in a couple of weeks

Is AstraZeneca in breach of its contract with the EU?

DW fact check: Probably true. Should AstraZeneca, per its announcement, be able to deliver only 40% of the agreed amount by the end of the first quarter, it could be in "breach of contract", according to MEP Tiemo Wölken of the Social Democrats. However, he pointed out that he does not have a copy of the contract to hand. The EU is keeping this contract and most others under wraps. Only the agreement with CureVac has been made partially public.
If AZ is not fully protected by a cast iron force majeure provision in the contract, its lawyers are going to end up living in huts after they lose their houses.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back