Senior Brandon Starcevich (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Djud5tsUYAE2qYx.jpg

‘Hard edge’ forces Lions to pick Starcevich
BRISBANE say Brandon Starcevich’s hard edge prompted the decision to hand him his AFL debut against the Kangaroos at the Gabba.

Starcevich’s quiet personality, coach Chris Fagan has called him a man of few words, belies a fierce competitiveness and the Lions believe he will relish the physical approach of North Melbourne’s big bodied midfielders. “He’s been in good form and he is a strong bodied player and it should suit the environment we’ll be in,’’ Fagan said.

Starcevich said his debut was a dream come true and he was pleased he had managed to force his way into the side with a sustained run of good form.
“It means a lot to me and my family and it is a huge privilege to play for the Lions,’’ he said.

“My expectations were that I would have to work very hard on my game to earn a spot in this team because I knew the opportunity wasn’t going to be given to me because of the amount of talent we have at the club at the moment and that I would have to earn it.’’
653340a1f413388e50de0a29db62e675

Brandon Starcevich has extended his contract with the Brisbane Lions until at least the end of 2021, capping off a dream week at the Gabba.

On Saturday the draftee made his debut in Round 20 against the Kangaroos and will wear the colours again this weekend against Collingwood, after Chris Fagan named him in his side.

http://www.lions.com.au/news/2018-08-10/starcevich-extends

Lions lock away another young gun
BRISBANE has locked away the entire 2017 first-round draft class after Brandon Starcevich celebrated his debut last week by inking a two-year contract extension. The 19-year-old has held his place in the team to take on Collingwood at Etihad Stadium, capping off what he admits was a huge week.

Starcevich made his AFL debut against the Kangaroos in the Lions’ three-point lossat the Gabba on Saturday. Coach Chris Fagan said he may have taken some time to adjust to the frantic tempo of the game but improved as the contest wore on and earned another game based on his defensive work and how he stood his ground against the physical Kangaroos’ midfielders.

“He was good in his first game, tough enough and that was what we wanted to see,’’ he said. “He put his head over the footy.’’
a83ecc5941a66797ee38f21c4460260f

Starcevich described the past week as a rollercoaster of emotions. “It’s been filled with nerves, anxiety and a bit of excitement. It’s been unreal, probably one of the best weeks of my life to be honest,” he said. “I was happy here, it was just a decision of whether I wanted to stay here for another two years. “In the end it was an easy decision (to extend contract).”

60222e577d66691283aeabc7a231edc4

The West Australian hammered down the door to the senior side with superb form in the NEAFL. He was close to selection against Hawthorn in Launceston where he travelled with the team as an emergency, an experience he says also influenced his decision.

“I’ve been loving my time here so far ... I think once I got a taste of senior footy and flew down to Tasmania for the Hawks game, all those experiences made me very settled and this is where I want to be,’’ he said. “I love the direction the club is heading in as well, I want to be a part of it.”

Lions footy manager David Noble said Starcevich had a hunger to learn and had improved every week since he arrived at the club. “His debut last week was a testament to that growth,” he said. “It’s fantastic to see another young player sign up long-term, it shows they believe in where we are headed.”

Player Reviews: Wooller, Lester, Mathieson & Starcevich
#37 - Brandon Starcevich
Strong performances in the NEAFL throughout the year saw Brandon Starcevich get his first taste of Senior football in Round 20 in front of a home crowd. It was a huge week for the 19-year-old who extended his contract for a further two years only six days after making his debut.

A highlight of Starcevich's season was his first AFL goal during the Lions' heated QClash win over Gold Coast in Round 22. Starcevich was a valuable contributor to the NEAFL side's forward line and midfield earlier in the season, averaging 16 disposals and five tackles a match, over 15 NEAFL matches.

Ahead of his second pre-season at the Lions, supporters will be looking forward to seeing the results that come from the powerful young midfielder in 2019.

Senior matches: 4, NEAFL matches: 15

The 2017 draft revisited (Michael Whiting)
Pick 18: Brandon Starcevich
Got his chance late in the season with four games as a half-forward. A midfielder by trade, Starcevich is good in tight spaces and strong over the ball. Is a bit down the pecking order in the midfield rotation, but more development next year won't hurt him.

Brandon Starcevich sidelined with hamstring injury
Brisbane Lions defender Brandon Starcevich is set to miss the first eight weeks of the 2019 season after a medical review determined further damage to his injured hamstring.

An issue around his muscular tendon junction was reviewed, with surgery being determined to be the best course of action, which he had yesterday in Melbourne. Starcevich sustained the injury during the first quarter of the Lions’ pre-season practice match against Casey.

“It’s a real shame for Starce because he had such a great pre-season,” General Manager of Football David Noble said. “After some further investigation by our medical team the injury turned out to be worse than first thought, so we sent him down to Melbourne for surgery.”
1553076588933.png

Your club's NAB AFL Rising Star contenders
Best chance: Brandon Starcevich

With a settled team and a bit more experience sitting on the outside waiting to break in, it's hard to see too many eligible Lions playing a big role in 2019. Starcevich was in-line to play round one before his recent hamstring injury and although he's a few weeks away from returning, still looks the best bet. Showed his versatility in four senior games last year and trained all pre-season in defence. The West Australian is strong over the ball, composed and should get his chance once fit.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Strange feeling this year trying not to care too much about the rising star when it has been a bit of a focus in previous years.

Strange feeling this year trying not to care too much about the rising star when it has been a bit of a focus in previous years.

It's very weird. I'm also finding it weird that I'm not looking forward to draftees making their debut - in fact I kind of hope they don't debut until well into teh season, if at all.

Set to return from injury this week. Can’t wait to see him back in the seniors. One of the better talents on our list imo.
really nice guy met him with my kids at a family day and went out of his way to chat to them.
Be a great player for us once he gets over his injuries. I think people forget about him a little

He has been fantastic this season. He is very, very good in one on one contests. Such a ferocious, competitive beast. He tackles with so much aggression. Can anyone else see him becoming a very handy midfielder one day or is it just me?

He is a perfect replacement for MRobbo and to be honest I’d love him in the square to complement Neale. He is so teamfirst and reminds me of a much, much richer man’s version of Matt De Boer ie play defensive role to aplomb but has offensive weapons to his eyeballs

I think we should just allow this young man find his feet down back. If he can help build our defense to be rock solid then let him stay there. A Nick Vlaustin type would be great as a tough uncompromising hard to beat defender. Will go along way to helping our ‘squad’.

I think we should just allow this young man find his feet down back. If he can help build our defense to be rock solid then let him stay there. A Nick Vlaustin type would be great as a tough uncompromising hard to beat defender. Will go along way to helping our ‘squad’.
Watch West Coast come hard for him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back