Senior Brandon Starcevich (2017-)

Remove this Banner Ad

Former club: East Perth
Height: 187cm
Weight: 84kg
Position: Forward

Medium forward/midfielder who improved throughout the NAB AFL U18 Championships for WA, including an excellent performance against Vic County at Etihad Stadium. Nephew of former Collingwood premiership player Craig Starcevich.
Steve Conole, Recruiting Manager, says:

“Brandon is a powerful player who’s testing at State Combine was very impressive. His variety of roles is very appealing. Brandon can play midfield or go forward, and will be a great acquisition to our Club.”
http://www.lions.com.au/news/2017-11-23/pick-no-brandon-starcevich

Last edited:
East Perth’s Brandon Starcevich further enhanced his draft hopes with a stand out performance at Sunday’s WA State Draft Combine at the State Netball Centre.

Starcevich already attended the national combine in Melbourne, but a quad injury kept him out of some of the physical testing.

The hard-nosed midfielder-forward made sure his name remained prominent with the recruiters with a blistering 2.87sec. 20m sprint, a 91cm running vertical leap and an impressive performance in agility testing with 8.08.
https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...e-stand-out-at-wa-draft-combine-ng-b88629473z

Really liked what i had seen of him and had him in that early 20's range on my board.
Wanted to see him on our list, but thought only likelihood was slipping to our 3rd round picks (but was not confident that was possible).
Another selection I like.

A connection to the club is always good. Uncle Craig can keep an eye on him.

I would expect that his uncle is also well placed to suggest a nice young lady ( or not nice one if that’s his preference) from the AFLW squad for Brandon to get to know. It might help him feel more settled.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://thewest.com.au/sport/afl-dr...starcevich-has-white-line-fever-ng-b88666617z
A handful of AFL talent scouts regarded Brandon Starcevich as an intellectual, somewhat quiet sort of character.

But crossing that white line does funny things to footballers — even the young ones.

“He’s developed into a real animal around the contest, he’s really aggressive,” former East Perth colts coach Adam Pickering said. “If any club picked him up, they wouldn’t be sorry.

“He’s a hard worker, great kid, down to earth and has a really good grounding with his parents. He ticks a lot of boxes.”

Starcevich spent time at half-forward, the wing and as an undersized key-position player during his first season with East Perth’s colts last year.

GPM1BB0UK.1-1.jpg

WA's Brandon Starcevich is looking to start his AFL career.Picture: Daniel Wilkins
This year, the 18-year-old became an inside midfielder, splitting his club and WA under-18 commitments with school football, athletics and cricket at Trinity College.

Starcevich had a lower back problem last summer, but bounced back to feature in all four of WA’s under-18 national championships matches and the WAFL colts finals series.

It earnt him a call-up for the under-18 All-Stars match at the MCG on grand final day, as well as the AFL Draft Combine held at Etihad Stadium.

“I think I got better every game and transitioned from playing as a forward into the midfield later on, which is where I see myself playing my football,” Starcevich said.

Starcevich has spoken to most clubs ahead of Friday’s national draft, including Fremantle and West Coast.

He grew up a Dockers fan, but would be happy to go anywhere.

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/a...-for-lift-off-at-brisbane-lions-ng-b88671442z
  • 1511587558020_G4K1BGE9O.2-2.jpg

Brandon Starcevich with Cherie - mum, Troy - dad & Jamee (18) - sister at home in Bedford, Perth. Picture: Ross Swanborough.Picture: The West Australian Newspaper

AFL Draft

AFL draft 2017: Starry-eyed East Perth draftee Brandon Starcevich ready for lift-off at Brisbane Lions

Bridget Lacy, PerthNowNovember 26, 2017 12:00AM

BRANDON Starcevich is hoping Brisbane’s young list will mean he gets his opportunity to shine at the club next year.

The East Perth teenager will join his uncle Craig Starcevich, who is Brisbane’s AFLW coach, in Queensland after his name was called at pick 18 in Friday night’s national draft.

Starcevich celebrated with family and friends in Bedford, but the news her son was moving across country was probably not the present his mum Cherie wanted on her birthday.

“My uncle is over there so I’ll probably spend a bit of time with him, make the transition a little bit easier,” he said.

“Moving is all right. I can’t wait really, it should be good to get stuck into it.”

Starcevich said he was overwhelmed to be just the second West Australian selected in the draft after Aaron Naughton at pick nine.

The 187cm, 88kg 18-year-old, described as a contested bull, wants to have an immediate impact at his new club.

“I guess there is a chance for a lot of the younger players to get a crack so hopefully some opportunities come up,” Starcevich said.

“I think a good pre-season under my belt hopefully and then start the season well, hopefully play good footy.

“I’m an inside midfielder that has got a bit of pace and explosiveness and can go forward as well and get a bit dangerous up there too.”

Starcevich was the Lions’ third pick in the draft behind No.1 Cameron Rayner and Zac Bailey at 15.

He said he was looking forward to getting to know his new teammates.

Team: Starcevich to debut!
The Starcevich name will live on at Brisbane with Brandon set to debut this weekend against North Melbourne at the Gabba. The youngster was drafted to the club at pick 18 in last year’s AFL Draft. Strong performances in the NEAFL competition has seen him earn his debut.

The 19-year-old is the third of the Lions' 2017 draft class to make their Senior debut this year. Senior Coach Chris Fagan announced the news to the team this morning and said Starcevich’s strong form had warranted his selection. “You’ve been given an opportunity on the back of some pretty good performances the last couple of weeks,” he said.

Brandon is the nephew of former Brisbane Bears player and current Lions AFLW Coach Craig Starcevich. On hearing the news, the midfielder acknowledged the support of the Club so far. “Thanks for the opportunity and the support from the coaches and you boys over the past 10 months,” he said.

Brandon STARCEVICH
NEAFL stats

Stat | 2018
\ Totals |
\Games|14
\Bests|3
\1st|0
\2nd|0
\3rd|1
\4th|2
\5th|0
\6th|0