News Boyd Woodcock signs for Southport VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

I played QAFL in the early 00’s… Southport were the biggest financially back then! The Dimattina brothers were running around there and they were always flush with ex-AFL players. Had a massive social club, pokies etc even way back then… he will definitely be well looked after financially! Good luck to him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They (the licensed venue arm) had $20m in the bank in 2004 and wanted to get an AFL licence.

They (the licensed venue arm) had $20m in the bank in 2004 and wanted to get an AFL licence.

Yeh 04 was huge. They pumped a lot of cash in to their facilities etc and won the next couple of premierships. Was always a tough day traveling down to the gold coast!

Yeh 04 was huge. They pumped a lot of cash in to their facilities etc and won the next couple of premierships. Was always a tough day traveling down to the gold coast!

The AFL rejected their bids for a licence in 2004 and then when the AFL set up the GC17 taskforce in 2008, as they are hated by the footy community on the GC because of their financial largess and are able to buy players from all round Oz, as well as pinch any decent juniors on the coast from the other clubs. The AFL wanted a neutral team that the whole GC could get behind, ie a WCE and crows model, rather than Port one.

As you said, they spent that cash upgrading their licensed venue, and continually do so. It has accommodation - a 120 room hotel facility - and all these function rooms for conferences and events now. They are like Penrith and the Panthers set up, where the licensed venue became so big and profitable, it dwarfs the football club.

But the best thing the AFL did for GC footy was get Dr Alan McKenzie from Southport involved. He has been the club doctor and president of Southport since the early 70's and chairman of the board since the early 80's when the club converted from an associated organisation to a company and started building its licensed venue. McKenzie said ok if we can't get a licence, we will go into partnership/sponsorship with the GCFC, and GC held most of their major functions and after match functions at the Sharks, until GC got access to the facilities built for the Comm Games built next to Carrara Oval. He was on the GC taskforce and then their board for the first 5 years or so.

Last edited:

The AFL rejected their bids for a licence in 2004 and then when the AFL set up the GC17 taskforce in 2008, as they are hated by the footy community on the GC because of their financial largess and are able to buy players from all round Oz, as well as pinch any decent juniors on the coast from the other clubs. The AFL wanted a neutral team that the whole GC could get behind, ie a WCE and crows model, rather than Port one.
Given GC's lack of support and inability to move out of 'stock youngsters, eventually we'll come good!' mode, it makes an interesting What If? for admitting Southport. Yes, they bought players, but they had a history (/expectation) of success. I don't think they'd have been happy to just have youngsters come and go. They'd also have given new recruits some history and pre-existing community to be indoctrinated into. Given QLD wasn't a Footy state, the 'all the other footy fans will hate them' was, IMO, an overblown concern. Yeah, there's hindsight in it and it's still arguable, but it looks like the AFL picked the wrong option. Of course the best option would have been North Melbourne merge with Southport, but since Oakley there's been no one willing to apply the real pressure to force mergers.

Given GC's lack of support and inability to move out of 'stock youngsters, eventually we'll come good!' mode, it makes an interesting What If? for admitting Southport. Yes, they bought players, but they had a history (/expectation) of success. I don't think they'd have been happy to just have youngsters come and go. They'd also have given new recruits some history and pre-existing community to be indoctrinated into. Given QLD wasn't a Footy state, the 'all the other footy fans will hate them' was, IMO, an overblown concern. Yeah, there's hindsight in it and it's still arguable, but it looks like the AFL picked the wrong option. Of course the best option would have been North Melbourne merge with Southport, but since Oakley there's been no one willing to apply the real pressure to force mergers.

Nah, for a comp that struggles with basic clash strips it would have been way too confusing to have a Southport in the north and a Port in the south.

;)

I'm moving to the Gold Coast because it gives me the best chance of getting back on to an AFL list

and my girlfriend has moved to the Gold Coast for her career

I was half expecting you to type I'm moving to the Gold Coast because it gives me the best chance of getting back on to an AFL list and so is my wife. :D

Fair enough , good luck to him . His body of work wasn’t too bad but going forward I’m not sure in the planning dept if they were thinking about him while trying to work Bergman and Sinn into the side , they might have even rated Mcentee higher by the looks .
All the best to him though

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He always had the tank for AFL level football. I think his only major setback was his lack of forward impact. Simply just couldn't keep up with Rozee or Butters score wise, or even midfield wise for that matter.

Mind you though he made his debut for a top 2 team from the last 2 years, should easily get a good chance at Gold Coast. Might even pay off long - term if Clarko is already warming the seat up.

Carn guys, we're the Port Adelaide Football Club not the the Port Adelaide Foresight Club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back