Injury Blue Healers Discussion - 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Latest Injury Update 21st May …

THERE are updates on seven Blues leading into Round 11.

Jacob Weitering (cork)
- Availability: test

Marc Pittonet (finger)

Experienced an additional finger injury in the game against Sydney
  • Unavailable for selection this week
  • A clearer outline on his return to play will be known within the next week

Jack Martin (calf)
  • Scans last week confirmed a calf strain
  • Has commenced his rehab with a timeline for his return to become clearer next week

Sam Durdin (concussion)

Jesse Motlop (hamstring)

Adam Saad (hamstring)

Lachie Fogarty (wrist)

Player

Injury

Update

Matt CarrollGroinRemains on a modified program for at least another month due to groin soreness.(Update: 30 April)
Adam CerraHamstringExperienced a hamstring strain in win over Melbourne.
Availability: to be reassessed in Round 13. (Update: 14 May)
Matthew CottrellFootUnderwent scans which revealed navicular stress reaction. Club will work through rehabilitation plan in coming weeks.
Availability: to be reassessed following the Club's Round 14 bye. (Update: 14 May)
David CuninghamCalfExperienced a calf strain during VFL on Friday.
Availability: to be assessed in Round 13. (Update: 14 May)
Sam DochertyKneeSuffered a ruptured ACL and torn meniscus in his right knee. (Update: 9 March)
Sam DurdinConcussionAvailability: test. (Update: 21 May)
Lachie FogartyWristAvailability: test. (Update: 21 May)
Jack MartinCalfScans last week confirmed a calf strain.
Has commenced rehab with timeline for return to become clearer next week. (Update: 21 May)
Jesse MotlopHamstringAvailability: test. (Update: 21 May)
Hudson O'KeeffeHamstringExperienced a high-grade hamstring strain at training on Sunday.
Availability: 8-12 weeks. (Update: 14 May)
Marc PittonetFingerExperienced an additional finger injury in game against Sydney.
Unavailable for selection this week, while clearer timeline on return to play will be known within the next week. (Update: 21 May)
Adam SaadHamstringAvailability: test. (Update: 21 May)
Jack SilvagniKneeHas begun initial stages of rehab following surgery. (Update: 21 February)
Jacob WeiteringCorkAvailability: test. (Update: 21 May)

Has earned the right to play in 2025 if he chooses to do so. Couldn’t imagine the club pushing retirement. Would be VERY surprised if he retires.
I think that he’ll be thinking of the future over the next week or two. He’s had a very rough run with ACLs and cancer. If he does decide to see how he goes, I hope that they continue his coaching development and give him a development job with Power for the year.

Unfortunately, Doc is done. Can’t see him going again at 32 with his injury and health history

Doesn’t mean he can’t have an enormous impact on the group in a coaching capacity for the rest of this year and beyond

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
It is possible, but premature to call. Contracted this year and next. Will depend if he has the energy to climb that mountain again. Doc is made of some very stern stuff and it would not surprise to see him work his way back with us in a flag window.

With other players developing, it is indeed possible he would struggle to regain a permanent spot in the team after another setback. He has the means to launch other career paths and will probably test the waters during his convalescence.

It would be a very brave punter to bet against him returning if he sets his heart on it.

I think that he’ll be thinking of the future over the next week or two. He’s had a very rough run with ACLs and cancer. If he does decide to see how he goes, I hope that they continue his coaching development and give him a development job with Power for the year.
l highly doubt that would be the case, sure he will have procedure with the goal of returning next year.
l am sure he will commit to the recovery and unless something goes amiss in his recovery he will plan to be back next year.

Absolutely staggered that it ended up being an ACL. When you consider what some ACL’s look like (Juddy’s for instance), Sam was able to get up and run. Just assumed it’d be something in the 4-6 weeks.

Of course gutted for Sam. Just been destined to have to travel a path full of adversity. Deserves so much better.

I won’t speculate on whether we’ll see him again or not, I don’t think the time for that is now. I will say, I do think we’re well equipped to handle his absence - which just shows how far we’ve come as a football club.

Footy gods can go **** themselves.....first JSOS, and now Doc.

Two heart and soul players who don't deserve this. We know Jack will be back, but whatever path Doc chooses, we'll be there with him all the way.

Players like them are irreplaceable. Footy can give us the highest of highs and the lowest of lows. Right now, it's about as low as you can get.

Unfortunately, Doc is done. Can’t see him going again at 32 with his injury and health history

Doesn’t mean he can’t have an enormous impact on the group in a coaching capacity for the rest of this year and beyond

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Quite the opposite. As a physio just told me. He's actually got relatively low mileage on his body compared to other 30+ players. Get the knee better and he'll be back for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This suck for Doc and Carlton. I also blame the AFL for playing season too early in near 40 degree days . The Night Game is still Hot and Humid Weather it also dangerous for Heat Stroke without extra players on bench at least 26 playing. This now leaves us with 2 players off the list. The pre season Draft should be gone and instead clubs should be able to choose players all Season from any state league and Country team minus Under 18 players when having long term injury. Their should be 44 on every list at all times and end of the season those extra players go back in draft pool. They only kept if you have the list spot of 41 if you only takes 3 selection. The club should have taken Heath Ramshaw would have been perfect back up for Sam Docherty now have to hope not another midfielder does not go down..I think it be harder for Doc returning again is signed like Silvagni until 2025 so both will be coming back for another year. This will be unless Doc decide it enough and retire especially if the players off contract all have great year that deserve another contract. This also give Silvagni are better chance also continuing but nothing guaranteed as we seen with Lochie O Brian having a year still on contract a list spot can be wiped off if they decide all on 2024 contract get another year.

Absolutely staggered that it ended up being an ACL. When you consider what some ACL’s look like (Juddy’s for instance), Sam was able to get up and run. Just assumed it’d be something in the 4-6 weeks.

Of course gutted for Sam. Just been destined to have to travel a path full of adversity. Deserves so much better.

I won’t speculate on whether we’ll see him again or not, I don’t think the time for that is now. I will say, I do think we’re well equipped to handle his absence - which just shows how far we’ve come as a football club.
I thought the same the tough bugger came back on the ground. I thought he was slightly injured but decided playing with a bit of pain. I thought if injured bad enough a 4 week to 6 week at most. The players can't stand and are in pain after doing ACL, Coleman was on crutches after carried off.

Given the chatter I thought I would say.

As it stands, yes it's early doors, Doc intends to play on and the club intend him to continue.
He sure can he has a 2025 contract even if he plays half a season or is borderline in best 22 like Ed Curnow ended up. Doc is still valuable as long if has descent speed can still be part of 2025 flag.

One of the toughest players to ever play for the jumper. Deserves to go around again.
Hopefully he can finish his career as a premiership player. No player would be more deserving.

Bullshit news on doc. Next man up again it seems. Two picks in the mid season draft for us I guess is the only positive news out of our preseason.

Will be a long road to recovery for Doc again but he knows what it takes and will be a valuable addition to our bench or box upstairs. See you mid 2025.
Hope Sam recovers as well as possible. Best wishes from his home town.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back