Roast Biased umpires - time for Carlton to make a statement

Remove this Banner Ad

What's the problem, a side loses a game and goes after the officials.????
No. We have to accept we lost the game albeit by a small margin and Hawthorn are a very good side. We put up a great performance and if we had taken our chances we may have won.

The debate is, if the umpiring was to a suitable standard, as against well below standard, would we have won? Maybe, maybe not, but we will never know as its history now. But for any rational follower of football, last night's umpiring performance was below par, unprofessional, and unfortuanetly we were on the wrong end of numerous poor decisions that were crucial in the context of the game and our chance of winning it.

With respect to umpiring generally, as a fan its not good enough to just say "thats how it goes" or "you win some you loose some". For a professional sport, week-to-week standards of AFL umpiring are inconsistent, yet there is no accountability or real scruitinty of poor performance. Standards need to improve and we paid the price for that poor performance last night.

'Razor' Ray
You know an umpires a complete shithead if his nickname is Razor.

The bolded bit hits the nail on the head. We have professional players, coaches, administrators, fitness gurus etc, yet those who control the game on the field are still part-timers (I seem to remember the AFL stating they were going to trial having a handful of umpires employed full-time, I'm not sure if this is up & running yet).

How can the umpires possibly umpire the game professionally when they are not employed on that basis? It is a tough game to umpire & maintaining the professional levels required to umpire the game nowadays would be nigh on impossible for those who are fitting in this job around careers as lawyers, teachers, policemen etc.

The AFL are short changing the game & its supporters with their reluctance to bring the umpires' status in line with that of the coaches, players etc. Until they do, the game will continue to suffer.
Well said

The bolded bit hits the nail on the head. We have professional players, coaches, administrators, fitness gurus etc, yet those who control the game on the field are still part-timers (I seem to remember the AFL stating they were going to trial having a handful of umpires employed full-time, I'm not sure if this is up & running yet).

How can the umpires possibly umpire the game professionally when they are not employed on that basis? It is a tough game to umpire & maintaining the professional levels required to umpire the game nowadays would be nigh on impossible for those who are fitting in this job around careers as lawyers, teachers, policemen etc.

The AFL are short changing the game & its supporters with their reluctance to bring the umpires' status in line with that of the coaches, players etc. Until they do, the game will continue to suffer.

........and your solution is.................

Human error............with a review...............yeah go for it.

Bang up job lately. :thumbsu:

Umpire calls it, if it's a goal, back to the centre and start again.

It's that ****ing simple.

........and your solution is.................

Human error............with a review...............yeah go for it.
Your missing the point. The point is players are full-time professionals, coaches are full-time professionals, yet AFL umpires are still employed part time, which they juggle with a day job! As a result we see inconsistency and sub-standard performances on a too regular basis just like we saw last night. And we were on the end of that. Umpires will still make mistakes but if umpires were full-time professionals (and accountable and open to scrutiny) its reasonable to conclude the number - and impact - of poor decisions would reduce. But until this happens, mediocracy will remain and paying fans everywhere will remain frustrated and angry.

Hmmm, not sure about this. We'll end up copping the suspensions and the snipers will keep at it. Time for the snipers to cop a few hard suspensions and they'll stop soon enough. If it takes someone with the status of Malthouse to turn the stupid system around with some choice words, so be it.
I'm happy he seems to have drawn a line in the sand.

I hope you are right and the MRC throws the book at Hodge - however trial by media has already pronounced him innocent on all counts - a golden child - just a hard player who physically 'imposes himself' - so one rule for most players and different rules for Hodge and Franklin btw...

Lets see what the MRC comes up with ....

Your missing the point. The point is players are full-time professionals, coaches are full-time professionals, yet AFL umpires are still employed part time, which they juggle with a day job! As a result we see inconsistency and sub-standard performances on a too regular basis just like we saw last night. And we were on the end of that. Umpires will still make mistakes but if umpires were full-time professionals (and accountable and open to scrutiny) its reasonable to conclude the number - and impact - of poor decisions would reduce. But until this happens, mediocracy will remain and paying fans everywhere will remain frustrated and angry.
You do understand you're debating Numbers and it's past 9 on a Saturday night?

Have a read of that again.

I have rare moments of clarity..................the who, do what, when the why, do what?????

Nite nite, onto Zeppelin.

Hare Krishna.
No need to, maybe try interpretation and listening to your peers!

The underlying point being made is that for a professional sport AFL umpiring standards are inconsistent. So the question everyone here is stating, constantly, is simply this: is the AFL a bona-fide professional sport or not? If it is, umpires should become full time professionals. If they did, umpiring standards everywhere will hopefully improve and the game will be better for it. And if that happens, generally, we should not be on the end of such poor umpiring performances like we were last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You do understand you're debating Numbers and it's past 9 on a Saturday night?
Have a read of that again.

I have rare moments of clarity..................the who, do what, when the why, do what?????

Nite nite, onto Zeppelin.

Hare Krishna.
I think it is safe to suggest that numbers has headed off on a journey with Robert Plant & the boys.

Inevitably after a close loss, the coach will turn around and bring up umpires.

NEVER do they mention the half dozen/10 set shots from 30 yards that players miss.

Total cop-out in my book.

I was there numbers.

There's no way to say whether the bias affected the overall result of the game, because totally different events would have ensued. But that is no reason to just stick one's head in the sand and pretend like the bias didn't exist.

Last night was disgusting. I had no idea what the free-kick count was in the second half until later. To be honest, I was shocked to discover it was only 14-4. The number of times they didn't pay frees to Carlton, for incidents almost identical to ones they'd paid Hawthorn just a few moments before, was staggering. The opposite was also true.

I don't think Mick was blaming the umpires for the loss either, I think he was just putting them on notice. And rightly so. Given the penalties that can apply for criticising umpires, it was obviously a conscious choice that was made by the hierarchy of the club and Mick was its spokesman.

Against Essendon our tackling was at times sub-standard. I'm tipping that it was a real focus during the week and the players responded incredibly. How do you think coaches feel telling players "put in the effort and you'll reap the rewards" only to find on game day that the effort is exemplary, but the rewards are non-existent.

From Mick's presser and Stick's after-match speech, it's obvious that the club is pissed ... and it's about time.

I went to the game as a neutral supporter and what I saw tonight was an utter disgrace! Hawks had the game handed to them on a platter. Ive not read any other posts on this thread so im prob repeating what people have already said. It wasnt the free kick count as such but it was the fact that there were so many dubious and flat out incorrect free kicks given to the Hawks at crucial stages that all seemed to end in Hawks goals. Those pigs seem to get a free ride every time they step out on the park. Anyway bad luck I thought Blues were the better side tonight.

Yes the hawks got the rub of the green and were outplayed but to suggest every time they take the field they are umpires darlings is incorrect. 30 frees to 15 against when we played North and 33-19 against Port and how many frees did Buddy get with 2 blokes hanging off him all night?? One blatant in the back, both hands on the 2 on his back 40 m out? Play on!
Also Nicholls (ump 15) gave you a great run in the first half. But I do feel your pain, 2 wildly inconsistent halves of decision making ultimately went hawthorns way.

I asked him a question ODNBlue clearly you struggle with whats in context and whats opinion etc.

Stamos and I had a healthy discussion about it and you decided to interject by trying to read between the lines and got it all wrong.

I completely understand the rules and the process but will not enter into debate with someone of your maturity levels.

I know you will feel compelled to reply and argue your point again but I am seriously not interested.
I love the smell of irony in the morning.

Yes the hawks got the rub of the green and were outplayed but to suggest every time they take the field they are umpires darlings is incorrect. 30 frees to 15 against when we played North and 33-19 against Port and how many frees did Buddy get with 2 blokes hanging off him all night?? One blatant in the back, both hands on the 2 on his back 40 m out? Play on!
Also Nicholls (ump 15) gave you a great run in the first half. But I do feel your pain, 2 wildly inconsistent halves of decision making ultimately went hawthorns way.

Thanks for the honest appraisal. I suppose most on here are venting at the Hawks as:
it's so fresh in the memories;
our captain is out of action after an 'unfortunate' collision;
same perpetrator did nothing to avoid a similar collision with Henderson;
Simmo nearly had an enforced holiday and.....

we lost. :(

Umpires have an utterly thankless task, they make mistakes just like the players do, unfortunately they are shown utterly no respect from coaches/players/media.

They sure ain't bias.

That is all.
Well said Numbers and to even claim they were biased is just a very immature and pathetic way to look at the game and result.

Umpiring decisions in our game were at times woeful, but to suggest they were intentionally making incorrect calls or being biased is just pathetic and embarrassing.

Next we will have supporters saying they were paid off at half time behind the change rooms...:rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back