BFL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

No mate they only have 46 which is what most clubs are on around the leagues. Think allow them the max of 50 to assist with getting them more competitive.
They have 46, as opposed to the 43 that the rest of the comp has.
With the ongoing murmurings of Gisborne looking to move across, it further incentivises the Eastern Bloc staying.
If any move, it'd probably be South but I'd imagine they'd have already done so if they were inclined.
They've got a solid coach & they're making the right noises about a sustainable build, it'll take some time but hopefully they get it right.

Fair summation and tend to agree with you. Supposedly an “easy fixture” this season but I predict a small step back to 5th or 6th. (Can hope for finals upsets though!)

Burra’s best footy can beat anyone on the day (except bloody Melton!). Several games where they don’t convert chances and kick 7.15 or similar and end up losing, tend to hinder them.

A positive from last nights game was their even spread of goal kickers, even without T.Hutt

Big test vs Melton next week.

They have 46, as opposed to the 43 that the rest of the comp has.
With the ongoing murmurings of Gisborne looking to move across, it further incentivises the Eastern Bloc staying.
If any move, it'd probably be South but I'd imagine they'd have already done so if they were inclined.
They've got a solid coach & they're making the right noises about a sustainable build, it'll take some time but hopefully they get it right.
Mate 3 extra points wow!! The way the points is set up it might not even mean 1 more player. These clubs need the max points of 50 and hopefully they recruit smartly. A few other leagues allow that so why isn’t this league.

Mate 3 extra points wow!! The way the points is set up it might not even mean 1 more player. These clubs need the max points of 50 and hopefully they recruit smartly. A few other leagues allow that so why isn’t this league.

3A75363B-F5FA-4B3B-AC32-D33F10DFDDEE.png

This was from 2021
They were given extra points & they didn’t recruit smartly. Wasted them on ex afl players, but let’s not open up that wound.

I replied to someone else stating that they & Sebas were granted additional points.
Firstly you argued the point and then act smart when proven false. Rather than bleating about their ability to recruit, the bigger query is why the three non-one-point players (all handy players at that) playing for the Bloods were ex-South.
Address that and they'll go a reasonable way to being a more competitive side.

A positive from last nights game was their even spread of goal kickers, even without T.Hutt

Big test vs Melton next week.
Yes, you’re right, but lake wendouree are crap so I’m not getting carried away.
Melton are the bogey side, haven’t beaten them in a long time.

Re BFL structure, 12 teams would be ideal (6 Ballarat, 6 non-Ballarat) and Gisborne rumours seem most likely to eventually happen.
Could a 22 round season work though?

Re BFL structure, 12 teams would be ideal (6 Ballarat, 6 non-Ballarat) and Gisborne rumours seem most likely to eventually happen.
Could a 22 round season work though?
I'm sure it could but I'm not sure many would be overly keen on extending the season. (extra expenses, time from volunteers etc)
If nothing else, getting rid of the bye would be good.

I replied to someone else stating that they & Sebas were granted additional points.
Firstly you argued the point and then act smart when proven false. Rather than bleating about their ability to recruit, the bigger query is why the three non-one-point players (all handy players at that) playing for the Bloods were ex-South.
Address that and they'll go a reasonable way to being a more competitive side.
However recruiting even a depth player is still going to be 2-3 points. They continue to push and have 19s and always put a reserves side out each week. Just think extra points can assist even if it’s a small part.

Melton recruiting South players was not ideal.

Hopefully they can secure Jack Watkins once he is finished with VFL commitments as that’s the one they need to along with Aaron Clarke then we could see South bounce back hard.

If south got jordan to coach would they need the points turbs?
I saw ex vfa gun Dennis kinght who I'd put in the same bracket as mcguane stick to juniors at morwell and he got them into the 5 in a couple of years, in a similar standard league as ballarat.

Not sure south have shown the ability in the past to look long term with the points, and why should melton with a massive population, play with more points than a lalbert in the middle of nowhere with no primary or high school?

I don't think they do.
In this comp things can change quite quickly.
Darley had a winless season only a couple of years ago, they brought in a quality coach & a couple of top shelf players and now they're a solid chance of going back to back.
It wasn't that long ago that some were questioning the viability of Sebas in this comp, fortunately they were able to turn things around & the comp is much better for it.
It isn't a comp where there's a huge amount of recruiting so bringing in a Kiel, Lockyer, Bewley or a Myers that is committed to driving some standards, getting the best out of themselves & their teammates goes a long way.
With a solid base to build from, they'll have less of an issue in retaining or getting their own 1 pointers back to the club.

Last edited:
Comparing South to Darley when they finished bottom is apples and oranges. Darley were bottom in a Covid year and didn’t really give a rats as to what happened. Plus they were really competitive and had an average losing margin of maybe 6 goals. Most of the kids they played that year are now premiership players. Souths average losing margin is about 26 goals.
They’d waste the extra points anyway, done so in the Fev years and more recent. They are broken as a club. No quick fix unfortunately

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If south got jordan to coach would they need the points turbs?
I saw ex vfa gun Dennis kinght who I'd put in the same bracket as mcguane stick to juniors at morwell and he got them into the 5 in a couple of years, in a similar standard league as ballarat.

Not sure south have shown the ability in the past to look long term with the points, and why should melton with a massive population, play with more points than a lalbert in the middle of nowhere with no primary or high school?
It’s not the population mate it’s the demographic in the area. Yes there junior program has improved and they are playing a lot of there own but a few extra points would definitely help. This competition is stronger than where Lalbert play if I’m correct.
The points was put in to assist clubs to hopefully even things out somewhat.

Also the traffic on the roads is a huge detriment to clubs now also. No chance of recruiting players from the city area and even that ring road is a traffic jam headache..Need to recruit buy in and with that traffic it’s very difficult. This state roads are totally fu&&&&.

I agree Darley weren’t that bad before Jordan came in but his done an excellent job and kudos to the committee there.

This year South recruited no ex AFL/VFL and only have 1 VFL aligned player. So I think it’s a smart move! Plus got a good coach who understands what is needed and that’s it’s a process of 2-3 years.
For the sake of the competition I hope they can become competitive otherwise the only alternative is move leagues.

Anyway great conversation folks. 👊

That's fair re: Darley but they along with Sebas were used to make the broader point, that getting the right people involved goes a long way toward sustainable improvement.
We've seen under both Fev/Triplett and more recently Pritchard that South can get some big-name/quality players to the club, the problem has seemingly been in getting them to stick around which has often seen quality homegrown players also heading for the exit.
It'll take time but hopefully, they're able to turn things around as their struggles would no doubt be disappointing for their fans, players & volunteers.

Moving on though, there are a few good matchups this weekend.
North & Sebas especially will be keen to get their difficulty with Darley and Melton out of the way.

It’s not the population mate it’s the demographic in the area. Yes there junior program has improved and they are playing a lot of there own but a few extra points would definitely help. This competition is stronger than where Lalbert play if I’m correct.
The points was put in to assist clubs to hopefully even things out somewhat.

Also the traffic on the roads is a huge detriment to clubs now also. No chance of recruiting players from the city area and even that ring road is a traffic jam headache..Need to recruit buy in and with that traffic it’s very difficult. This state roads are totally fu&&&&.

I agree Darley weren’t that bad before Jordan came in but his done an excellent job and kudos to the committee there.

This year South recruited no ex AFL/VFL and only have 1 VFL aligned player. So I think it’s a smart move! Plus got a good coach who understands what is needed and that’s it’s a process of 2-3 years.
For the sake of the competition I hope they can become competitive otherwise the only alternative is move leagues.

Anyway great conversation folks. 👊
“This year South recruited no ex AFL/VFL”

Turbo you have forgotten about 34yo Patrick Veszpremi.

“This year South recruited no ex AFL/VFL”

Turbo you have forgotten about 34yo Patrick Veszpremi.
I mean straight out of AFL/VFL or last year or 2. Veszpremi has been out of the system for a few years now.
Couple of injuries to decent recruits prior to half time on Saturday also didn’t help there cause. But Melton to much depth and very strong midfield although no recognised ruckman.

I mean straight out of AFL/VFL or last year or 2. Veszpremi has been out of the system for a few years now.
Couple of injuries to decent recruits prior to half time on Saturday also didn’t help there cause. But Melton to much depth and very strong midfield although no recognised ruckman.
That's fair.
It's not really a comp that draws Ex-AFL/VFL types or recruits heavily for that matter, with most stepping down from the higher levels having a prior connection to the club or coach.
Unfortunately, they're coming from a long way back. They're seeking to create base to build from which is good but it'll take time.
The concern with additional points though is that they'll chase the sugar hit once again. That said, I'm sure most would like to see them up & about.

That's fair.
It's not really a comp that draws Ex-AFL/VFL types or recruits heavily for that matter, with most stepping down from the higher levels having a prior connection to the club or coach.
Unfortunately, they're coming from a long way back. They're seeking to create base to build from which is good but it'll take time.
The concern with additional points though is that they'll chase the sugar hit once again. That said, I'm sure most would like to see them up & about.
And they don’t get much go there way decision wise which is a bit frustrating just to add to the pressures.
Watch the decision to melton #27 at about the 20.18min mark of the first qrt from a south kick out. Results in a goal to melton. I have absolutely no idea what it was for neither did the players. He was just standing roving a pack.
These things can really hurt you mentally.

There were a few other calls as well. Yes it’s part of the game but this decision was just pulled out from nowhere.

That's fair.
Huge challenge now for South with there 2 highly rated recruits missing many weeks through injuries. Wilson to miss up 10 weeks. Veszpremi to miss up to 6. Not ideal..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back