Opinion Best ever Players in Jumper Numbers

Remove this Banner Ad

This is a cool thread - one of my favorites. Just to throw a few more names into the list:

No 38 - Kevin Morris - 2xpremierships, 1xB&F (can you get bonus points for your kid if he wears the same number:))?

No 14 - Yes, Skilton won 3 Brownlows, but Ivor Warne-Smith won 2 in only 8 seasons - and each time, he won by a long way. Great, great man.

Carey, Ablett Snr and Matthews never won a Brownlow and they are all rated above Reynolds.

Sheenan can be a tool but this is a good list. Whitten at 3 and Reynolds at 13.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/afl/teams/carey-the-greatest/story-e6frf9m6-1111115722650

Whitten at 4 Reynolds at 23.

http://www.theroar.com.au/2011/10/28/the-30-greatest-afl-players-of-all-time/

Whitten at 4 Reynolds at 13

http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/afl/ruccis-top-50-players/story-e6frg213-1111115739760

You are in the minority that has Reynolds ahead of Whitten. Your upper hand post is bias.

Hmmm.

I have a book at home dating from 1981. Alf Brown and Greg Hobbs wrote the book for the Herald and Weekly Times.

This book detailed the best players from 1925 to 1982.

Both men had Reynolds rated the best Brownlow Medallist of all-time. Brown also named Reynolds first rover in his greatest ever side. Whitten was named CHB.

Because most of those alive wouldn't remember Reynolds actually playing, we can only go by the opinions of those who were. Percy Beames also had Reynolds ahead of Whitten I believe.

Hmmm.

I have a book at home dating from 1981. Alf Brown and Greg Hobbs wrote the book for the Herald and Weekly Times.

This book detailed the best players from 1925 to 1982.

Both men had Reynolds rated the best Brownlow Medallist of all-time. Brown also named Reynolds first rover in his greatest ever side. Whitten was named CHB.

Because most of those alive wouldn't remember Reynolds actually playing, we can only go by the opinions of those who were. Percy Beames also had Reynolds ahead of Whitten I believe.
Well lucky for Dick that EJ never won a brownlow. And as for farmer Bob saying how good he was I will stick to the links I found. I have yet to see one list having Dick in front of EJ. Your post about Dick being clearly better is clearly wrong.

May take on it.
#1 Paul Roos has to be above Silvangi
#12 Jack Titus over Richardson
#16 Brown and Tredrea. Howell did win a Brownlow and Premiership but never had the prolonged impact these two did. Always felt Tredrea never really got the respect he deserved either.
#20 Simon Black over Schimmelbusch
Black 316 games - 168 goals​
Brownlow Medal, Norm Smith Medal, 3 x Premiership​
Schimmelbusch 306 games - 354 goals​
2 x Premiership​

#30 Matthew Scarlett over Bourke
Scarlett 284 games - 17 goals​
3 x Premiership, 6 x All Australian​
Bourke 300 games - 71 goals​
5 x Premiership, 13 x Vic side.​

#34 John Kennedy? 4 x Premierships 241 games?
#38 Leon Harris? I might be pushing a Fitzroy barrow here but hey not many would even remember what position James played.
#41 Robert Walls over Millane easily

May take on it.
#16 Brown and Tredrea. Howell did win a Brownlow and Premiership but never had the prolonged impact these two did. Always felt Tredrea never really got the respect he deserved either.
2 x Premiership​

#38 Leon Harris? I might be pushing a Fitzroy barrow here but hey not many would even remember what position James played.

Wallsy wore No. 42.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

May take on it.
2 x Premiership​

Not to downplay John Kennedy jr, because he was a fine player, but I think McGuane has him easily covered. David King would have greater claims then Kennedy, but I think McGuane was better than him too.

The rest of them are more contentious - I would stick with Silvagni, as good as Roos was. Agree with Tredrea not getting the respect he deserved, would have him ahead of Brown to be honest, but not familiar enough with Howell's record.

Black-Schimma is very tough. Probably have to excuse myself due to bias. But I don't think it's as simple as accolades and premierships, and my instinct is Schimma was more consistently brilliant.

Would stick with Bourke, but that is no slight on Scarlo.

Walls v Millane. Tough one. Millane's best was better than Walls, but obviously lost him in his prime.

#11 Darren Jarman - dear god this bloke was good. Doull was an obvious gun, but the Rolls Royce could kick the ball 50 metres on the non-preferred (not sure if he had one) and land it on a golf tee.

#3 Leigh Mathews - not sure how you could be regarded as one of the top 3 players ever, but not be the best to wear your number.

#46 - Chris Mew
#47 - Alan Jarrott
#48 - Mal Michael
#49 - Brian Cordy
#50 - Ryan Turnbull
#51 - Michael McLean
Alan Jarrott? and you're an Essendon supporter, you do remember we had a guy wearing number 47 in the 1993 grand final who had 14 yes 14 disposals in that first quarter...Ricky olarenshaw..

Hate to say but didn't Ricky Olarenshaw wear #47 for Essendon for many games, including a winning GF?
Had 14 disposals in the first quarter of that granny as well...Was a very good player till injuries ruined him and we traded him to the pies for pick 12 which we used on Adam Ramanauskas..pretty happy with that deal..

I would be surprised if he changes. Side show Bob is a little left of centre. He is only chasing Ryan Turnbul so it won't take much to grab that spot.

Yeah like I said, a few more seasons and he's home. Would be good if he held on to #50 and made a name for it. Turnbull was a weird one. On the Eagles list for an eternity and a premiership player, but constantly yo-yoing in and out of the side. The arrival of Ball and Gardiner didn't help him, but when he was in the magoos he was was pretty good winning awards left right and centre.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back