Bendigo FNL 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes, well done Kyneton. Not too often you'll find 3 of the country clubs all winning on the same day. Great stuff.
Strath, after being a game clear on top of the ladder at the half-way mark, are now 5th just 2 weeks later, facing the prospect of a journey down to Gisborne for what may well be their 3rd drubbing in a row. Was Mildren so vital the their hopes?

Davis 24 where are you?

Now is not the time to go modest - you should be shouting from the rooftops!
Well done to all involved at Kyneton. Its been a long time coming but proves that perhaps the club is at last on the right track recruiting some big names with good credentials to help their base of good young players develop. It is a policy that Trentham have adopted to a lesser degree with some success and the development of home grown talent will pay dividends in the future.
Everyone at Trentham wishes the Tigers continued success and hope that we can continue to support each other in years to come

Davis 24 where are you?

Now is not the time to go modest - you should be shouting from the rooftops!

Well well well. What a week it has been. This is why we love country footy. I'm trying to work out how to upload the tiger boys singing the song, it shows what the win meant to everyone. Whilst we will keep a lid on it. I think we will here the song 2-3 more times this year. Go TIGES.

Not sure whether the top 5 is a foregone conclusion or just that there is nothing interesting about Bendigo footy to post on BF at the moment, but this forum has been like a morgue over the past week or so !!!

Just to get things moving again, it was good to see the Storm bounce back after a horror month with a well fought out victory against the Flat at a very boggy Flight Centre Park. Is the top 5 done and dusted for the remainder of the season, or can a team currently sitting outside the 5, make it into the top 5 before the seasons end ? Everyone's thoughts ???

A draw between Sandhurst and Castlemaine this weekend, the first in the Bendigo League since 2006. The first between Sandhurst and Castlemaine since 1953.

Not sure whether the top 5 is a foregone conclusion or just that there is nothing interesting about Bendigo footy to post on BF at the moment, but this forum has been like a morgue over the past week or so !!!

Just to get things moving again, it was good to see the Storm bounce back after a horror month with a well fought out victory against the Flat at a very boggy Flight Centre Park. Is the top 5 done and dusted for the remainder of the season, or can a team currently sitting outside the 5, make it into the top 5 before the seasons end ? Everyone's thoughts ???
It does seem to get a little quiet on here when Gisborne are up and about i reckon. Congratulations to Weeksy for booting his 4th ton in a row - this bloke is an absolute superstar and he should end up with another 50 odd if you include finals, which will put him well and truely in the mix for the Michelson.

Think the top 5 is done and dusted, just playing out for position, think if the finals were tomorrow it would be a battle of the dogs, but if any of Strath, South or Sandhurst hit peak form come September they could really rock the apple cart as all three have shown they can beat any team on any given day.

This is most probably going to be the best final series in 5 years for the BFL if these teams can all go into the finals in good form.

It is a bit like trying to resuscitate a corpse but here is Albury's contribution.

I think Square and Gisborne are 5 goal better teams than the others making up the five and if they meet in the grand final it should be a pretty good game of football. Having said that Square would not want to lose Weeks - likewise Gisborne with Tom Waters. Lionbear and or Bearsboy you might like to add comments about Gisborne and in particular if/when Luke Saunders will get back on the park.

If either Storm or Sandhurst could get their very best team on the field I still think they could surprise. Storm would need a fit Sammy Mildren and the Hurst Jono Coghlan. My thoughts on my own beloved Dragons are, as well as Jono, they also need a fit and in form Matt Thornton. He has troubled Square with his markng in the past but on Saturday he just did appear to be moving freely. I would also like to see Mal Borchard be finally given a lighter load. Pat Jennings did a great job on Weeks and should stay a full back and Mal & Lee Coghlan wrapped up in cotton wool until the finals come. Dragon Fly what do you think?

Stormboy you might like to provide similar comments about Storm.

South are the 'wild card team'. Based on pre-season recruiting and expectations they are a disappointment. However if they got all their Bendigo Gold players back in the finals - especially a fit Harry Maddern, they could gives things are shake. Having said that I have the impression injuries are taking their toll on Harry. I also don't know if he is eligible to play BFL finals - can anyone fill us in on this?

Comments?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If you play X amount of VFL games you are no longer eligible to go back to your club for finals. I think the number is eight. I'm fairly sure Stroobants is doubtful for the Bloods, too.

for anyone wanting to know if Weeka's 21 sausage rolls was a BFL record.
Answer: no it isn't. Harry Morgan slotted 24 for Eaglehawk in the 50s and came off at three-quarter time.
Mighta got 30 if he'd remained on the field

grant weeks 21 goals yesterday and still wonder why an AFL team wouldnt try him out over preseason. Not a key position player in higher league but would be a good lead up forward.
Has proven himself in BFL and Vic country games over 2-3 years and think this would stand up. Only have to look at mature age rookies to realise he wouldnt be the worst choice.

With the Gold going stand alone next year, it'll be interesting to see how well they are supported from a local BFL player perspective. Surely Weeks would be high on their shopping list for next year. I reckon a lot of the younger ones will give it a fair crack, the mature ones still may have memories of the Digger days.....
Does anyone know if they are running with a development squad as well as the senior VFL group?
Just my opinion but I reckon they will be around for a couple of years and then fade away...Not nearly enough support...

With the Gold going stand alone next year, it'll be interesting to see how well they are supported from a local BFL player perspective. Surely Weeks would be high on their shopping list for next year. I reckon a lot of the younger ones will give it a fair crack, the mature ones still may have memories of the Digger days.....
Does anyone know if they are running with a development squad as well as the senior VFL group?
Just my opinion but I reckon they will be around for a couple of years and then fade away...Not nearly enough support...

I agree. Does the BFL want a strong league and strong surrounding leagues or drop standard as happened with the Diggers who took all the good young talent out if the local pool and could not compete at the higher level. If the question was raised about entry of a VFL team to the GV or O&M I think they would knock it on the head as country footy is tribal and location based. Who cares if Bendigo plays Frankston and wins? More interest in Square vs Sandhurst and local games each week. Strong 2nd tier leagues would also be an outcome of having all the talent come back to the pool.
I think the VFL team is to the detriment of the local country footy and we have already seen this once. I'm not a fan and all the Pioneers will end up being told to move through to the Gold. Lose good juniors who could maybe play 200 games with a local club and have been nurtured by the local club but as per previous get nothing back. Thats why BFL fell away for 4-5 years and why the 2nd teir leagues paid so much for average players. Its a knock on affect.

Totally agree, Bendigo Gold will struggle against AFL based sides and will be flogged every second week. Personally I would rather see BFL players with their respective clubs than playing for this doomed outfit. I dont follow the Square but would rather see Weeks kick 10 goals against us than read about what he is doing with the Gold.

Totally agree, Bendigo Gold will struggle against AFL based sides and will be flogged every second week. Personally I would rather see BFL players with their respective clubs than playing for this doomed outfit. I dont follow the Square but would rather see Weeks kick 10 goals against us than read about what he is doing with the Gold.

The reason the Gold (and before that the Diggers) never enjoyed local support is because they were never a real football club (with their own tradition, juniors & facilities, etc) like North Ballarat.

To me the only way a Bendigo VFL team would work would be for say Golden Square to do what North Ballarat did and step up to a higher level. (They could still field a team in the BFNL).

stormieboy ....can ur boys replicate sundays win over south and do the job in the K.O. elim final in a few weeks maybe millie mildren made the difference vs. the blooders
five sausage rolls is certainly nothing to sneeze at

also means opposition back lines have one extra top forward to think about matching up on

Remove this Banner Ad

Back