Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Great questions, would be interesting to see how lots of clubs answered them.

It was pretty reassuring to see our esteemed hierarchy come out and declare they are ‘leaving no stone unturned’ to help Maryborough. Crisis over I would say, with the weight of the great minds running things behind them, Maryborough might just win the flag.
And comments closed on the article on the Addy facebook page

Thanks - I just found it on the AFLCV website ...

Thoughts? I noted the fifth paragraph - I'd love to see one of the crew here end up on the council to allow the view of the football follower to be considered in some of the important issues that will need to be addressed.

As the new Region Manager for AFL Central Victoria, it is my pleasure to reflect on an exciting start to the 2024 season and to cast an eye towards the vibrant future of football in our community.

Thus far, the 2024 season has been remarkable. It has characterised by fierce competition and great sportsmanship across all levels. We have high hopes for the remainder of 2024 and wish all participants the best of luck.

AFL Central Victoria is undergoing some changes to its governance structure. Recently, the AFL CV Commission resigned its position with AFL Victoria management staff appointed to casual vacancies on the Commission and act as Company Directors.

At this time, it is important to acknowledge the significant contribution made to football in the AFL Central Victoria Region by the existing commissioners and those who preceded them. The Commission have displayed wonderful leadership and foresight in recognising the time for a change in direction is now required for football to thrive in the Region.

AFL Victoria has now commenced an expressions of interest process for people interested in being part of a newly formed AFL CV Region Council. If you or someone you know has interest in this role, please contact me at cam.tomlins@afl.com.au.

I would also like to extend my deepest gratitude to various individuals and groups who have played pivotal roles this season. First, a huge thank you to our volunteers and club officials, whose dedication and hard work often go unnoticed. You are truly the backbone of our sport, and your efforts create the foundation upon which our success is built.

Another special thanks must go to our sponsors, whose support has been unwavering even in challenging times. Your commitment allows us to invest in the growth of our leagues and the development of our players, making a lasting impact on the community.

As we look to the future, I am excited about the opportunities that lie ahead. We are committed to not only maintaining but also enhancing the quality of our competitions and community programs.

We will continue to focus on fostering local talent and ensuring that football and netball remains a cornerstone of our community where everyone is welcome, and everyone can thrive. Here’s to an even more successful season ahead!

All the best in Football & Netball

Cameron Tomlins
AFL CV Region Manager

Last edited:
Thanks - I just found it on the AFLCV website ...

Thoughts?

As the new Region Manager for AFL Central Victoria, it is my pleasure to reflect on an exciting start to the 2024 season and to cast an eye towards the vibrant future of football in our community.

Thus far, the 2024 season has been remarkable. It has characterised by fierce competition and great sportsmanship across all levels. We have high hopes for the remainder of 2024 and wish all participants the best of luck.

AFL Central Victoria is undergoing some changes to its governance structure. Recently, the AFL CV Commission resigned its position with AFL Victoria management staff appointed to casual vacancies on the Commission and act as Company Directors.

At this time, it is important to acknowledge the significant contribution made to football in the AFL Central Victoria Region by the existing commissioners and those who preceded them. The Commission have displayed wonderful leadership and foresight in recognising the time for a change in direction is now required for football to thrive in the Region.

AFL Victoria has now commenced an expressions of interest process for people interested in being part of a newly formed AFL CV Region Council. If you or someone you know has interest in this role, please contact me at cam.tomlins@afl.com.au.

I would also like to extend my deepest gratitude to various individuals and groups who have played pivotal roles this season. First, a huge thank you to our volunteers and club officials, whose dedication and hard work often go unnoticed. You are truly the backbone of our sport, and your efforts create the foundation upon which our success is built.

Another special thanks must go to our sponsors, whose support has been unwavering even in challenging times. Your commitment allows us to invest in the growth of our leagues and the development of our players, making a lasting impact on the community.

As we look to the future, I am excited about the opportunities that lie ahead. We are committed to not only maintaining but also enhancing the quality of our competitions and community programs.

We will continue to focus on fostering local talent and ensuring that football and netball remains a cornerstone of our community where everyone is welcome, and everyone can thrive. Here’s to an even more successful season ahead!

All the best in Football & Netball

Cameron Tomlins
AFL CV Region Manager
kind of a nothing burger statement, not really addressing any of the expressed concerns re: competitiveness of some sides and what not

kind of a nothing burger statement, not really addressing any of the expressed concerns re: competitiveness of some sides and what not
Cameron “cut and paste” Tomlins!

As a club that have had recent dealings with Cam and the AFLCV hub, their responses always involve cut and paste of policies and bylaws.
When asked for explanations of their decisions the reply is always “we are not obligated to provide reasons for our decision”
Sooner they are gone and the sooner “football people” are back running the leagues, the better football in the region will be.

What do people reckon it would take for the hub to come out and admit things are stuffed and they have no ability to fix them?

If Gisborne and Maryborough are gone come season’s end would that do it?

Castlemaine the year after?

Or would they still talk about their thriving, elite competition of 6 clubs?

If someone from here nominated for their council and was accepted, then they could be made aware that all is not fine and dandy.

I think you might need to know the secret handshake to get on it though.

Will be full of people who don’t rock the boat and “cut and paste” from the handbook. There will be a lawyer - 3 x netball people - 1 x regional rep who will be carefully selected so they are inline - a few bendigo businessmen aligned to a certain club

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I think that's a bit of bullshit to be honest, you could have me, forrest, albury, roota and crazy maggy on the committee, wouldn't matter, what comes out from sfl hq and how they want footy is all the matters. The people on the last one, were good footy people, yet it didn't matter what they thought, I'd think, the afl will stick to what they want and know

Will be full of people who don’t rock the boat and “cut and paste” from the handbook. There will be a lawyer - 3 x netball people - 1 x regional rep who will be carefully selected so they are inline - a few bendigo businessmen aligned to a certain club

Don’t beat around the bush Maggie , the club is sandhurst
It should be called the sandhurst football netball league !

Maryborough need to go , simple.
I reckon Talbot would be a more appealing place to play footy than Maryborough
They aren’t competitive at all and it’s like a training run when sides play against them.
Watched them against gisborne last week and they were absolutely disgusting

Normally if a side isn’t up there competing or are in a rebuild they have a few shining lights and something to look forward to , Maryborough don’t , they should fold now and be done with.
Let the newly formed Maryborough giants take over their home ground and that’s it , they will never get back to being a competitive unit … never !

When gisborne leave to go play in Ballarat league and Dustin Martin goes and plays a year of local footy with his brother at gisborne , the bfnl will be a laughing stock !

There will be 5 sides in the comp and the guys running the comp ( from sandhurst ) will make sure they win every single year until the comp becomes extinct!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tips today

Gisborne 115 pts
Eaglehawk 45 pts
Square 35 pts
Sandhurst 275 pts

Don't hold back LOL ...
See today’s result ?
333 points !
That’s nearly a combined total of 600 points they have lost by in last two games , nearly 100 goals !
They could get the 8 players they are screaming out for and it still wouldn’t help.
They have been absolute rubbish for over 20 years now they need to fold and fold now , don’t embarrass yourselves anymore.
That’s not enjoyable watching sides get pumped by 50 goals week in week out
Young kids up there are more interested in sitting around playing on the Gatorade saxophone than having a kick
The whole town should just fold and shut down it’s gotta be the worst town in Australia

When is enough, enough? 330 odd point loss to Maryborough. What an absolute disgrace. Nobody gets anything out of this.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

It serves the BFNL board right for not being at all accountable for equalisation over the past 10 years. They now have one of the most uneven comps in the country so they got what they wanted. Bendigo dominance. Gisborne only competitive due to massive population for a one club town but now they will be gone due to the terrible comp.

Would have to be one of the darkest days in the competition history - margins of

333 points
155 points
77 points
42 points

Losing teams kicked a combined 15 goals for the entire day

The league should be calling a crisis meeting tonight, they are the laughing stock of local footy at the moment, and it’s only going to get worse

It serves the BFNL board right for not being at all accountable for equalisation over the past 10 years. They now have one of the most uneven comps in the country so they got what they wanted. Bendigo dominance. Gisborne only competitive due to massive population for a one club town but now they will be gone due to the terrible comp.

You can't force people to move to Maryborough to play can you? Unless the afl identify the Maryborough region needs a talent coordinator that develops juniors and coaches the major league side, it doesn't matter what any committee will do. Once kids pass year 12 they move away and why travel all the way back?

You're asking the board to steal from Peter to pay for Paul, the standard of the league had dropped from 20 years ago and further drop the standard of the league so Maryborough and castlemaine are competitive. Then no one will play in Bendigo, the best guys will go to the gv, central murray or noryh central.

The problem is there are way to many clubs around castlemaine and Maryborough and unless you get forward thinkers like clubs in the mallee this will happen. Look at Wycheproof and nully merging at the end of the year. Next year they'll be a power and could play in the bendigo league and be successful, if they picked a combined side from this year's 2 teams, they'd push sandhurst and gissy

You can't force people to move to Maryborough to play can you? Unless the afl identify the Maryborough region needs a talent coordinator that develops juniors and coaches the major league side, it doesn't matter what any committee will do. Once kids pass year 12 they move away and why travel all the way back?

You're asking the board to steal from Peter to pay for Paul, the standard of the league had dropped from 20 years ago and further drop the standard of the league so Maryborough and castlemaine are competitive. Then no one will play in Bendigo, the best guys will go to the gv, central murray or noryh central.

The problem is there are way to many clubs around castlemaine and Maryborough and unless you get forward thinkers like clubs in the mallee this will happen. Look at Wycheproof and nully merging at the end of the year. Next year they'll be a power and could play in the bendigo league and be successful, if they picked a combined side from this year's 2 teams, they'd push sandhurst and gissy

The only reason the clubs in the mallee get quality players is by cheating the salary cap by at least $150k - why would any team want to do that so that you are expensive witches hats for the sake of the comp

See today’s result ?
333 points !
That’s nearly a combined total of 600 points they have lost by in last two games , nearly 100 goals !
They could get the 8 players they are screaming out for and it still wouldn’t help.
They have been absolute rubbish for over 20 years now they need to fold and fold now , don’t embarrass yourselves anymore.
That’s not enjoyable watching sides get pumped by 50 goals week in week out
Young kids up there are more interested in sitting around playing on the Gatorade saxophone than having a kick
The whole town should just fold and shut down it’s gotta be the worst town in Australia
I was having a few beers at a mates place in Maryborough last weekend and was told by a couple of younger players who were there that they are looking at heading towards Sunbury to play in the EDFL and they've been given nothing but false hope. Sad really.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Remove this Banner Ad

Back