Bendigo FL discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Gisborne are leaving, it’s just a matter of which year.

They, along with Castlemaine have suffered a 15-20k plus hole in the budget with Kyneton leaving. They aren’t going to fill that any way but with local rivals in the Ballarat comp because they can host a top of the ladder blockbuster later in the year and be lucky to see a hundred Sandhurst people there.

Purely for the financials I’d say, as per the above. Apparently you get a lot more than the player, a fair whack of free product to sell, cuts on merchandise and raffles etc.
I think they will pull a decent crowd out of it but I’d be moving the game to the Sunday to draw in the outer leagues.

I have wondered that myself, those guys would be 6 so what happens if you can’t fit them in? Maybe Carlton has a deal to skip the points for the day with AFL VIC although we would all be shocked to see the integrity of the game compromised like that.
Smith and Cotchin would be 6, the rest would be 1 given they haven’t played any footy in 3+ years

Heard a bit of uplifting news for the Pies yesterday.

I’m reliably informed we have now scored more points this year than we did in the first time around against every team last season, although we did miss the Kyneton game.

No he starts as 6 and then you get a point added for every club after, I think he played at greensborough, then port Melbourne and St Arnaud, so he's 6 points, then a point for Port and a point for St Arnaud gets him to 8
You would think that these blokes that do the rounds making appearances would be limited to where they can play. The Slime Train must attract some points if hes shopping himself around weekly. Just had a look at Baulch played Phillip Island as a 6 and 2 weeks later as a 4 at Panton Hill. How the hell does that work?

Last edited:
No he starts as 6 and then you get a point added for every club after, I think he played at greensborough, then port Melbourne and St Arnaud, so he's 6 points, then a point for Port and a point for St Arnaud gets him to 8

I’ll have to revise my points system, we should be able to find a couple of double figures for Sandhurst.

You would think that these blokes that do the rounds making appearances would be limited to where they can play. The Slime Train must attract some points if hes shopping himself around weekly. Just had a look at Baulch played Phillip Island as a 6 and 2 weeks later as a 4 at Panton Hill. How the hell does that work?

He's listed to play for an amateur club apparently. Does he know that he can't get paid to play VAFA football?

He then played at Blighty FNC in the Picola League where they were thrashed and allegedly got 81 possessions...

His day at Panton Hill FNC in the Northern League was a massive success with record attendance and the club making a significant amount of revenue well above what it cost having him for the day. Whilst many people 'knock' him (and I have been one too) his profile does get 'bums on seats'.

How do you get to 8? I though 6 was the maximum.
Ablett played as a 7 pointer for Drouin last year, prior to that I thought 6 was max but I don't think that's stated anywhere in the PPS Policy. I don't know now, blokes doing tours getting allocated different penalties. Swan registered at 15 clubs over 2023 & 2024 so far (not including masters comp or whatever it is) so I'm also not sure exactly the way that the "3 clubs in 3 years" rule is being applied to players playing with multiple clubs in one year. If Caddy got 2 penalty points for playing across a number of clubs then Swan should probably be nearly a 20 point player based on that! There might not be a uniform approach to it and with discounts available based on specific circumstances, some clubs might be utilising those.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ablett played as a 7 pointer for Drouin last year, prior to that I thought 6 was max but I don't think that's stated anywhere in the PPS Policy. I don't know now, blokes doing tours getting allocated different penalties. Swan registered at 15 clubs over 2023 & 2024 so far (not including masters comp or whatever it is) so I'm also not sure exactly the way that the "3 clubs in 3 years" rule is being applied to players playing with multiple clubs in one year. If Caddy got 2 penalty points for playing across a number of clubs then Swan should probably be nearly a 20 point player based on that! There might not be a uniform approach to it and with discounts available based on specific circumstances, some clubs might be utilising those.
Caddy’s break down. 6 points (played afl in the last 3 years) +1 (3 clubs in years) +1 (transfer from major league) 8 points

Leigh Montagna will be very different, as he finished up in The afl in 2017/18?
If he hasn’t played any footy in the last 3 years he will be a 1 pointer at the Maine.

Dane Swan similar has been out of the afl for long enough now that it has no impact on his points. If he sticks to the minor leagues, which it looks like he is, he would be carrying at most 4 points. 3 pointer (senior community layer) + 1 (3clubs in 3 years) points don’t stack for 5 clubs in a year etc.

Maryborough forfeiting twos again.
Yes Forest we are again and this may be the case for a few weeks. We have had a reasonable response to obtaining some additional players but nothing in concrete as yet as there are a few things to work through. Fortunately this week our Unders and Seniors will again take to the field and we do get a couple of faces back into both teams.

We are working hard to remedy the situation although it appears this week there is more interest in the area about Dane Swan playing for Natte Bealiba on Saturday against Navarre. Let's hope they make more money than he costs to get for the day.

Dane has been good for local footy in recent years but I saw him run around last year for a club and to be honest he got the money pretty easily as he is physically spent. Good promotion for the club but I do question the value of having him play.

On a positive note for our club the netballers are going really well which is terrific to see.

Yes Forest we are again and this may be the case for a few weeks. We have had a reasonable response to obtaining some additional players but nothing in concrete as yet as there are a few things to work through. Fortunately this week our Unders and Seniors will again take to the field and we do get a couple of faces back into both teams.

We are working hard to remedy the situation although it appears this week there is more interest in the area about Dane Swan playing for Natte Bealiba on Saturday against Navarre. Let's hope they make more money than he costs to get for the day.

Dane has been good for local footy in recent years but I saw him run around last year for a club and to be honest he got the money pretty easily as he is physically spent. Good promotion for the club but I do question the value of having him play.

On a positive note for our club the netballers are going really well which is terrific to see.

Hang in there lfg, not an easy time for anyone involved in the club.

Caddy’s break down. 6 points (played afl in the last 3 years) +1 (3 clubs in years) +1 (transfer from major league) 8 points

Leigh Montagna will be very different, as he finished up in The afl in 2017/18?
If he hasn’t played any footy in the last 3 years he will be a 1 pointer at the Maine.

Dane Swan similar has been out of the afl for long enough now that it has no impact on his points. If he sticks to the minor leagues, which it looks like he is, he would be carrying at most 4 points. 3 pointer (senior community layer) + 1 (3clubs in 3 years) points don’t stack for 5 clubs in a year etc.
Fair enough, I thought that was possibly the case re: only getting 1 penalty for each category (major league & 3 clubs 3 years)

Buckley, Montagna, Lloyd all 1 point then

Well said. The good thing is that with two byes in three weeks after this week it gives us a chance to reset a bit and get a few back in.

It cost Rockbank 10k to have Dane play for the and do a "comedy night" lol absolute waste of money. Hope it all works out for Maryborough.

On SM-G970F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Everybody on here and elsewhere respects what you are doing Local. To not give up in difficult times shows a real strength of character by yourself (as a club). However, clearly you don't want to go on as a perennial bottom club getting regular drubbings so can I ask few questions being:

1. What is the goal for the club over the immediate future (beyond just survival)?
2. Is there any support/assistance that you are not getting now from the BFNL which you would like to receive?
3. We have numerous discussions on this forum about how to make the BFNL a healthier competition. For example - changing the player points system, creating a Central Victoria league with two or three tied and a promotion/demotion system, bringing back a BFNL Board made up of delegates from each club, mergers etc etc etc. What changes would you like to see as a club which would create a more even playing field for Maryborough and a more interesting competition for the public?
4. Would the club be prepared to play more Sunday games and also night games early in the season?

Everybody on here and elsewhere respects what you are doing Local. To not give up in difficult times shows a real strength of character by yourself (as a club). However, clearly you don't want to go on as a perennial bottom club getting regular drubbings so can I ask few questions being:

1. What is the goal for the club over the immediate future (beyond just survival)?
2. Is there any support/assistance that you are not getting now from the BFNL which you would like to receive?
3. We have numerous discussions on this forum about how to make the BFNL a healthier competition. For example - changing the player points system, creating a Central Victoria league with two or three tied and a promotion/demotion system, bringing back a BFNL Board made up of delegates from each club, mergers etc etc etc. What changes would you like to see as a club which would create a more even playing field for Maryborough and a more interesting competition for the public?
4. Would the club be prepared to play more Sunday games and also night games early in the season?

Great questions, would be interesting to see how lots of clubs answered them.

It was pretty reassuring to see our esteemed hierarchy come out and declare they are ‘leaving no stone unturned’ to help Maryborough. Crisis over I would say, with the weight of the great minds running things behind them, Maryborough might just win the flag.

I see the fearless leader of the region has come out today and made a statement. I think someone needs to tell him he’s responsible for bendigo region and not somewhere successful like Ballarat

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Remove this Banner Ad

Back