Test Benaud Qadir Trophy 3rd Test Pakistan v Australia @ Lahore March 21-25

What will be the result?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

He's above Pidge for me.
Third best Aussie bowler I seen.

I'm a massive unashamed Cummins fan but I still reckon this is a big call - Cummins a lot more fun to watch than McGrath, but McGrath's record is incredible. Cummins has still only played a third of the tests McGrath did for Australia.

I don't think Cummins has gone past Glenn McGrath just yet. But he definitely can, and probably will.
A solid test series in India would go some way to sealing his legacy; got to do just a little bit more overseas imo.

I am nitpicking though as Cummins has been magnificent to date, and if he did an Ash Barty we'd still all remember the impact he has made. But McGrath actually went out and did it year after year to the tune of 124 Tests, and won us plenty of games of cricket through sheer skill and dominance, just like Pat does.

First series win overseas since NZ in 2016, and first on the subcontinent since 2011. It was a tough series to watch at times with the lifeless pitches, but this is still a significant and important win for Australia, especially given how difficult it has been for any team to get a series win overseas.

Could have easily won it 2-0 if we held onto our chances in Karachi after rolling them for a low total. The only match we were no chance in was Rawalpindi where not even the Windies bowling attack of the 70s-80s would bowl to victory.

I'm a massive unashamed Cummins fan but I still reckon this is a big call - Cummins a lot more fun to watch than McGrath, but McGrath's record is incredible. Cummins has still only played a third of the tests McGrath did for Australia.

I don't think Cummins has gone past Glenn McGrath just yet. But he definitely can, and probably will.
A solid test series in India would go some way to sealing his legacy; got to do just a little bit more overseas imo.

I am nitpicking though as Cummins has been magnificent to date, and if he did an Ash Barty we'd still all remember the impact he has made. But McGrath actually went out and did it year after year to the tune of 124 Tests, and won us plenty of games of cricket through sheer skill and dominance, just like Pat does.

Yeah, he's incredible, but you can't really say that he's at Lillee/McGrath's level just yet.

ATM, in a revised Top 50 of Test cricketers post-WSC, I'd rank him somewhere in the late teens - he's already well and truly surpassed Gillespie for mine, and Gillespie was a quality quick.

Can't say I agree.

The contest between bat and ball was completely lob sided.

Only five 3+ test series have seen 50 runs per wickets. Thanks to our flurry at the end this ducked under. Finished at 47. Ninth highest ever.

Subcontinental is more of a grind and often higher scoring than elsewhere. No problems with that. But this series went way too far.

I said yesterday I am not in the "test cricket is dying" but that's the sort of series that pushes it in that direction.
I don’t mind it. 1st test was too much but the rest was great for me.

Really only a follow on decision or a few dropped catches away from a 2-0 result which is pretty good.

Yeah, he's incredible, but you can't really say that he's at Lillee/McGrath's level just yet.

ATM, in a revised Top 50 of Test cricketers post-WSC, I'd rank him somewhere in the late teens - he's already well and truly surpassed Gillespie for mine, and Gillespie was a quality quick.
Absolutely. Well on track to be mentioned, if not pass the names Lillee and McGrath

Really only a follow on decision or a few dropped catches away from a 2-0 result which is pretty good.
The end result (and yes if we caught shafique early in Karachi it is 2-0) doesn't change that the pitches were absolutely lifeless and not conducive to good cricket.

It may not go down in infamy as the Eisenhower test many decades back. But on field highlights were few and far between.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Today has been a huge step in bridging that gap between himself and those two custodians of the Best Aussie Fast Bowler mantle.

I absolutely think he can do it and I don't think he's all that far off - for mine it is not all about the raw numbers in the wicket column either; today he was a genuine match-winner, and despite all the batting heroics from Khawaja, Barbar and others throughout this series it was Cummins who had the most important say in the final days.

The captaincy adds a whole different layer to his contribution as a Test cricketer too; it holds a heavily scrutinised, near-mythical role in Australian culture and neither McGrath nor Lillee had to worry about that type of responsibility - Cummins seems to absolutely love it to date.

I liked Gillespie a lot too, he's not a bad comparison to Cummins, Cummins gets more bounce and has more tricks but he and Gillespie are both relentless with threatening the stumps and bowl/ed straighter than a lot of very good quicks.

First series win overseas since NZ in 2016, and first on the subcontinent since 2011. It was a tough series to watch at times with the lifeless pitches, but this is still a significant and important win for Australia, especially given how difficult it has been for any team to get a series win overseas.

Could have easily won it 2-0 if we held onto our chances in Karachi after rolling them for a low total. The only match we were no chance in was Rawalpindi where not even the Windies bowling attack of the 70s-80s would bowl to victory.

Only our 4th test win in pakistan as well, although interestingly last 8 tests in pakistan its 2 wins for us 6 draws and nothing for pakistan.

The question is how will Cummins adapt when his speed drops off due to age?

I'm sure he'll find a way
Can't see him taking as many wickets if he drops into the 120s like Mcgrath did. Mcgrath was truly special like that.

Satisfying series win. Brutally honest I thought Cummins made as good a declaration as he could've but still thought we were another Babar Azam and Azhar Ali masterclass partnership away from a so close yet so far moment.

Khawaja had an outstanding series and Cummins and Starc have done their own personal legacies no harm with some of their spells this series. Lyon stepped up to win a test on a deteriorating 5th day wicket like we've all wanted. Basically a lot of ticks.

Mind you, we were extremely poor fielding away from a comfortable 2-0 win (and Swepson having a double digit bowling average) so it's not without its worriesome aspects but overall, a very satisfying win

The question is how will Cummins adapt when his speed drops off due to age?

I'm sure he'll find a way

He'll still be a threat due to his accuracy, awkwardness and persistence, especially since he's added reverse swing to his repertoire.

Can't see him taking as many wickets if he drops into the 120s like Mcgrath did. Mcgrath was truly special like that.

McGrath from memory bowled at around 130 km/h by age 30 and stayed there until retirement. Even when he was young, he wasn't express (maybe 140 km/h tops?).

I think Cummins will be quicker for longer. The worst case scenario is that he drops to around 130 km/h by 35 or so.

Back