Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 20, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Vancouver Canucks, Southampton FC
Lightning-Strikes-Again.png

The Big Bash Meets The World Series!

Between 1992 and 1994, lightning struck the international cricket scene in Australia. Whilst not literally, the lightning bolt jerseys worn by Australia and their touring rivals of Pakistan, the West Indies, New Zealand and South Africa during the World Series Cup tournaments of 1992/93 and 1993/94 have found themselves nestled comfortably within the hall of cricket uniforms. With that said, who doesn't love a good retro round, and the Big Bash League has found itself a new frontier!

By going back to the era of Dean Jones asking Curtly Ambrose to remove his sweatbands and South Africa's return to the international scene, each Big Bash League team will don a fauxback jersey, harkening back to an era long before Twenty20, complete with lightning bolts a truly unique font fit for the era. Lightning struck twice in the early nineties and now thirty years on from 1993...

Lighting Strikes Again!

Can't overstate how much I'd froth the overall aesthetic of this however I might just add it would have been interesting to see each team have a design inspired from the '93 bolts style design. For example, Brisbane Heat would have flames coming down, Stars might have shooting stars. Still love this though cant wait to see the rest!

Can't overstate how much I'd froth the overall aesthetic of this however I might just add it would have been interesting to see each team have a design inspired from the '93 bolts style design. For example, Brisbane Heat would have flames coming down, Stars might have shooting stars. Still love this though cant wait to see the rest!
It's certainly food for thought. Out of the World Series Cricket jerseys, the lightning bolts are probably the most likely design that would fit the Big Bash aesthetic, especially if it existed in the '90s IMO. That said, there would be a lot more versatile and dare I say 'creative' designs if BBL teams adopted the barcode of the southern cross, striped design as the logo for each time would be replaced.

Will it be just the 8 teams or are any expansion teams included?
Only designed the lightning bolts for the existing eight.

It's certainly food for thought. Out of the World Series Cricket jerseys, the lightning bolts are probably the most likely design that would fit the Big Bash aesthetic, especially if it existed in the '90s IMO. That said, there would be a lot more versatile and dare I say 'creative' designs if BBL teams adopted the barcode of the southern cross, striped design as the logo for each time would be replaced.

Only designed the lightning bolts for the existing eight.
Yeah by no means a criticism or anything, just food for thought if you end up doing a '96 WC or something down the line

Nice work! Have you considered doing any of the other international teams that never got the lightning bolt treatment, or doing the State teams?

Scorchers should be an interesting one, having yellow in their palette also

Nice work! Have you considered doing any of the other international teams that never got the lightning bolt treatment, or doing the State teams?

Scorchers should be an interesting one, having yellow in their palette also
Only just designed BBL teams, though the idea came to me imagining if Canada had the lightning bolts with a white and gold combo, similar to their 2011 WC getup.
image.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only just designed BBL teams, though the idea came to me imagining if Canada had the lightning bolts with a white and gold combo, similar to their 2011 WC getup.
image.
Yeah, it was a bit of a shame only five teams got the thunderbolt treatment back in the day, this is a cool concept to see explored

Yeah, it was a bit of a shame only five teams got the thunderbolt treatment back in the day, this is a cool concept to see explored
Missed the opportunity I thought for themed merchandise throughout the 2022 T20 World Cup, similar to the 1992-inspired merch for the 2015 World Cup.

I was referring to these ones.
e3f35f1f3e369bbd3b32123a08ac7dd8--custom-design-world-cup.jpg
b250337332cacbbf0b968e7858fdfc14--custom-design-world-cup.jpg
45af62567aa9177f73bc53ecee23af55.jpg

Yep Pakistan (supporters) were into theirs big at this year’s t20 final. And like chibimatty said, India have used their 92 design previously as have the poms. And the kiwi fans like theirs!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fin.
Second portfolio I've ever completed and it served as a little passion project that has been tucked away in my mind for a few years. With a recent thought about how to revive excitement in the Big Bash League, lightning struck, and as far as I'm concerned, Retro Round is fun had by all.
Hope you all enjoyed it.
637364086635753941__Dean%20Jones.png

Remove this Banner Ad

Back