Bazball 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as it gets mocked, their record under the hollier than thou duo is 12 wins, 4 losses and 1 draw, which is better than the final year and a bit of Root's time as captain. I do expect that record to read 12 wins, 1 draws and 9 losses after Bazball's biggest test.

Yep, more than likely 9 losses after the India series with a few 2-3 day finishes thrown in as well.

On Redmi Note 8 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m on record as saying that they:

A) had to do something to change what they were doing previously. It was terrible cricket to watch, it was gutless cricket and it was absolutely doomed to fail because it was just reliant on 3 players. So kudos to them for changing it.

B) give themselves a chance with what they are doing. The batsmen in their line up are not going to go down alongside Bradman and Sobers as greats. We know that. But ordinary batsmen can play great innings if they are playing the right way. Ordinary players can’t do great things if they are told to play ordinarily

C) they are going over there 3 days before the first test which is ludicrously stupid

D) the only chance they’ve got IS to play the same way. They can’t grind India into the dirt. They have to attack. They may lose 4-0 but they will lose 4-0 regardless if they try to play attritional cricket. 4-0 throwing something at them gives them a fighting chance at least

I'm keen to see how it goes Down Under.

We've a bit of a tendency to go to water when opposition batsmen attack us recently (Rizwan, Jamal, Pant etc).

Reckon it'll be a fun series to watch. Plenty of zest for Bairstow at the crease.

I am confused by the Australian narrative about the best batter (sic) in the world and the best quartet of bowlers ever seen but Australia can’t win in India (and has lost to India at home) and can’t win in England since Adam was a boy. Why aren’t Craddock, Conn, Lalor et al called to account?

I’m on record as saying that they:

A) had to do something to change what they were doing previously. It was terrible cricket to watch, it was gutless cricket and it was absolutely doomed to fail because it was just reliant on 3 players. So kudos to them for changing it.

B) give themselves a chance with what they are doing. The batsmen in their line up are not going to go down alongside Bradman and Sobers as greats. We know that. But ordinary batsmen can play great innings if they are playing the right way. Ordinary players can’t do great things if they are told to play ordinarily

C) they are going over there 3 days before the first test which is ludicrously stupid

D) the only chance they’ve got IS to play the same way. They can’t grind India into the dirt. They have to attack. They may lose 4-0 but they will lose 4-0 regardless if they try to play attritional cricket. 4-0 throwing something at them gives them a fighting chance at least
The whole squad is arriving in Sub Continent conditions 3 days before the 1st test!? They've obviously written off the series already then.

I am confused by the Australian narrative about the best batter (sic) in the world and the best quartet of bowlers ever seen but Australia can’t win in India (and has lost to India at home) and can’t win in England since Adam was a boy. Why aren’t Craddock, Conn, Lalor et al called to account?
Yes you are confused, and your memory sucks. Australia won the WTC Final in England, and the Cricket World Cup in India. Both within the last 6 months or so.

If any country's cricket media are completely out of touch with their national team's performance, it's obviously the English, who seem to think they won the Ashes.

And if you're so concerned with accountability, why don't you provide quotes about "the best quartet of bowlers ever seen" from those aforementioned journalists?

I have no issues with bazball as a tactic what I do have an issue with is England's smug attitude that they are saving sport that they are always best side no matter the results and that results don't really matter as long as they play their way that's all horseshit and should be called out.

Bazball as a tactic in india really worth a try though as India are basically unbeatable anyway but if it fails they will be criticized just like we were that's sport that's way it goes for everyone.

The whole squad is arriving in Sub Continent conditions 3 days before the 1st test!? They've obviously written off the series already then.

I read they were spending few weeks in uae practicing on some turning decks they prepared, its not worst idea not like playing practice matches in india is actually worth anything when they give you exact opposite to what the test conditions will be.

I have no issues with bazball as a tactic what I do have an issue with is England's smug attitude that they are saving sport that they are always best side no matter the results and that results don't really matter as long as they play their way that's all horseshit and should be called out.

Bazball as a tactic in india really worth a try though as India are basically unbeatable anyway but if it fails they will be criticized just like we were that's sport that's way it goes for everyone.

I checked the England Lions v India A game an they went along at 4.5 an over (didn't make many runs though).

For England it is a very good strategy because it maximises what they have (lots of batters who can make quick runs) and minimises their weaknesses (most of them can't bat for long periods), and the results speak for themselves.

They'll lose in India but everyone loses in India.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The problem I have with critics of BazBall is that when they don't win (eg the Ashes) critics use it as a slight on the strategy. No consideration on whether it made the series closer than what it would have been had England played "conventional" cricket.
I definitely think with the quality of player at their disposal, England is a bigger threat playing this style of game.

I read they were spending few weeks in uae practicing on some turning decks they prepared, its not worst idea not like playing practice matches in india is actually worth anything when they give you exact opposite to what the test conditions will be.
Ah ok, that's something then..Found it hard to believe they'd be arriving so late from the UK.

big 2024 for england with 17 tests.

5 v india (away)
3 v west indies (home)
3 v sri lanka (home)
3 v pakistan (away)
3 v new zealand (away)

then a 6 month break before the 2025 WTC and/or home summer.

england may well be up against it in india.
the penalty points for slow over rates in the ashes may just hurt them, but they finish this WTC cycle on a bit of a roll.

with australia and india now 1 & 2 in the WTC, you'd think they'd both hold on, looking at the remaining fixtures for the cycle.

5 v india (away)
3 v west indies (home)
3 v sri lanka (home)
3 v pakistan (away)
3 v new zealand (away)

the penalty points for slow over rates in the ashes may just hurt them, but they finish this WTC cycle on a bit of a roll.

with australia and india now 1 & 2 in the WTC, you'd think they'd both hold on, looking at the remaining fixtures for the cycle.

England seem to play way more
test matches than anyone else, even India & Australia...Barely any of the short 2 test series either...For example, Alistair Cook's international career was 12 years long & he played 161 tests...Granted, he only missed about one possible match, but that's an incredible amount in that time period.

Last edited:

Worth reading the article talking about where they are practicing and why.

test matches than anyone else, even India & Australia...Barely any of the short 2 test series either...For example, Alistair Cook's international career was 12 years long & he played 161 tests...Granted, he only missed about one possible match, but that's an incredible amount in that time period.

yeah ya right, but england were playing more test cricket before the WTC - they would always play a 7 test home summer and 2 winter tours. you'll find now they are only squeezing out a 6 test summer these days with a combo of 5 & 1 or 3 & 3.

in the WTC eng/aust/ind all now get 2 x 5 test series and 4 x 2-3 test series making that 18-22

the other teams are playing 3 x 2 test series and either 2-3 against eng/aust/ind making that 12-15

you may find only players from the big 3 countries may now only be capable of playing 100 tests.

5 v india (away)
3 v west indies (home)
3 v sri lanka (home)
3 v pakistan (away)
3 v new zealand (away)

Imagine the board melts if that was our home summer, SL being worse than both Pakistan and South Africa

Bazball should be considered more of a mentality, then a way of playing cricket.

Bazball has now morphed into just mindless slogging. The original idea of bazball, as how i interpreted it, was a way of playing that didn't fear failure/losing.

I think there is a lot of merit in that approach - especially when you have careers riding on the result. These days, with the advert of T20, many players can earn a fortune playing T20 without being test cricketers.

Their deal with sky actually requires a minimum of 7 tests per summer so even in ashes/india year they need to play another series.

5 v india (away)
3 v west indies (home)
3 v sri lanka (home)
3 v pakistan (away)
3 v new zealand (away)

Interesting pakistan away again, hope pakistan actually make some decent decks this time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back