Joeys Australian Youth Teams Thread (Joeys, Olyroos, Young Matildas)

Remove this Banner Ad

Mary Fowler obviously the best Under 20 player we have. Cooney-Cross and Grant are 20. So its not that barren when it comes to the future.

You could hear the coach in the last game shouting out "forward" a lot when we were passing it sideways. Too much of a reluctance to play forward in those last two games and also to press up when Brazil and Spain had it in their back half.
Yeah I didn’t watch the Spain match . For some reason I got confused and thought it was on at midnight. It’s certainly not doom and gloom , we do have some emerging talent to look forward too . Fowler could be anything, Cooney-Cross also . The focus now will be on the WW cup next year . It would be good if some of the youngsters trained with the senior Matildas just for the experience as well when they are playing at home . Still it was good to get a glimpse of the next generation of Matildas .

The golden boot striker Gabarro from Spain hit a great goal the other day in the semi-final against Netherlands. Also got the hat-trick in the 3-0 win over Australia.

Brazil finished 3rd and Spain finished 1st and both were in our group so maybe it was a tough draw although they beat us comfortably.

FemvR3TVUAAqZ3x

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beat Iraq and qualify for next year's U20 tournament in Uzbekistan in March.
Pots for the draw:

View attachment 1539395
Have no idea of the quality of youth teams of those AFC teams, but at the very minimum I would be massively concerned for our youth/future if we don't at least come second in our pot and beat out Tajikistan & Indonesia.

Have no idea of the quality of youth teams of those AFC teams, but at the very minimum I would be massively concerned for our youth/future if we don't at least come second in our pot and beat out Tajikistan & Indonesia.
Those random countries seem to go alright in the underage tournaments, after that they just never improve.

Draw hasn't been done yet - each group will have one team from each of the pots.
Your point is still valid - we should beat whomever we get from Pots 3/4

1677949820279.png
U20 AFC Championships under way in Uzbekistan.
Lost opening match to Vietnam 1-0 before defeating Iran 3-2.
Play Qatar on Tuesday in last group match.

Top 4 advance to this year's World Youth Cup so need to win the quarter final in order to get there.

View attachment 1621776
U20 AFC Championships under way in Uzbekistan.
Lost opening match to Vietnam 1-0 before defeating Iran 3-2.
Play Qatar on Tuesday in last group match.

Top 4 advance to this year's World Youth Cup so need to win the quarter final in order to get there.
Pretty safe to say the crowd seems to support anyone that isn't us , mostly silence when we scored .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back