Joeys Australian Youth Teams Thread (Joeys, Olyroos, Young Matildas)

Remove this Banner Ad

Red card was farcical, Rich was fouled from behind and some how in the entangled moment while Rich was mid air he supposedly "kicked out" at the Saudi player.

He did no such thing, just an unbelievably stupid call to say that's anywhere near a straight red

Red card was farcical, Rich was fouled from behind and some how in the entangled moment while Rich was mid air he supposedly "kicked out" at the Saudi player.

He did no such thing, just an unbelievably stupid call to say that's anywhere near a straight red
A touch harsh but I can see how he gave it as there was a bit of a kicking motion and TBH as soon as he went to the screen I said to my wife that it would be a straight red. Unfortunately the ref is getting sucked into their tricks though as several other plays they have not been pulled up for

That was some strike.

Not to boast and in no way the same league, but my daughter kicked an identical goal on the weekend in the last minute of the game to earn us a 3-3 draw. Proud father rant over.

More concerning, we seem to be playing without an attack.

Aussie girls not afraid to clatter in . Lucky to not have a few more booked.
We keep giving the ball up in our back third. Not confidant we can hold the lead here.

Some of the Young Matildas players I hadn't seen play before. Of those I thought No 10 Galic looked to have a lot of skill and several times got past multiple opposition defenders to create chances and also Chinnama in defence looked like she was the most dependable player.

Not so much the other defenders who gave the ball away a few times but weren't hurt by it, though I expect they'll get a sterner test against Spain and Brazil.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Young Matildas win AFF U18 championship overnight and not a peep on here . They beat Vietnam 2-0 in the final . Well done young Ladies !

What was that tournament about? Did the big teams like China, Japan and the Korea's turn up? We didn't have any games vs them.

Some of the Young Matildas players I hadn't seen play before. Of those I thought No 10 Galic looked to have a lot of skill and several times got past multiple opposition defenders to create chances and also Chinnama in defence looked like she was the most dependable player.

Not so much the other defenders who gave the ball away a few times but weren't hurt by it, though I expect they'll get a sterner test against Spain and Brazil.

Chinnama has played a couple of seasons with Melbourne City. She's generally come off the bench for City (although she had five starts for City in 2020-2021 when City had a poor squad overall).

Chinname has played a couple of seasons with Melbourne City. She's generally come off the bench for City (although she had five starts for City in 2020-2021 when City had a poor squad overall).

I only really get to see the free to air game of the week on 10 Bold. Lemon was another player that came on as a sub and did a couple of impressive with her feet. I got a feeling I've heard the name before without having taken much notice.

A few like Hunter and Rule played in the A-League women's finals. Was a bit surprised they chose to put Rule back as a striker as she looked good as a tall right back last year - and that's one area where we need cover until Carpenter comes back.

I only really get to see the free to air game of the week on 10 Bold. Lemon was another player that came on as a sub and did a couple of impressive with her feet. I got a feeling I've heard the name before without having taken much notice.

A few like Hunter and Rule played in the A-League women's finals. Was a bit surprised they chose to put Rule back as a striker as she looked good as a tall right back last year - and that's one area where we need cover until Carpenter comes back.
A few of the ladies impressed , and remembering how young these women are i shall bear that in mind. Lemon looked lively , I liked Hunters game . The playing out of defence was too slow and they coughed up possession far too often , fortunate that Costa Rica could not prophet from it .
It's a shame its not a FIFA window as Fowler, Nevin etc were eligible but as its not an international window , clubs are not obliged to release players . Still i imagine other countries are affected as well .
Anyway its great experience for this group no matter how it goes .
(PS) the celebration for the 3rd goal made me chuckle .

A 2-0 loss could and should have been worse . Brazil were good but a lot of the things we got away with against Costa Rica we couldn’t against Brazil . One shot on goal says it all .

A loss to Spain , while unsurprising , and the loss to Brazil has at least shown our U20 Matildas squad what level they need to aspire too . It also highlights the difference in resources and the level of competition afforded to European women compared to here . Brazil is Brazil so no surprise their youngsters show good technical and tactical play , etc . All in all a few of the youngsters showed some promise , lets hope they can get overseas and be exposed to a level of professionalism seemingly not available here .

A loss to Spain , while unsurprising , and the loss to Brazil has at least shown our U20 Matildas squad what level they need to aspire too . It also highlights the difference in resources and the level of competition afforded to European women compared to here . Brazil is Brazil so no surprise their youngsters show good technical and tactical play , etc . All in all a few of the youngsters showed some promise , lets hope they can get overseas and be exposed to a level of professionalism seemingly not available here .

Mary Fowler obviously the best Under 20 player we have. Cooney-Cross and Grant are 20. So its not that barren when it comes to the future.

You could hear the coach in the last game shouting out "forward" a lot when we were passing it sideways. Too much of a reluctance to play forward in those last two games and also to press up when Brazil and Spain had it in their back half.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back