Sport Association Football Thread...Who are Ya?! Who are Ya?!

Remove this Banner Ad

Nearly died of shock when we signed Cazorla because we have actually spent money this summer. RVP most likely gone but the club has done its best to fill the void. Just want a trophy this season, don't care if it's the Carling Cup, just something to stop the rot.

Nearly died of shock when we signed Cazorla because we have actually spent money this summer. RVP most likely gone but the club has done its best to fill the void. Just want a trophy this season, don't care if it's the Carling Cup, just something to stop the rot.

Going to be hard for you to finish top for without RVP this year...

It's pretty open between Tottenham, Liverpool, Arsenal and even Newcastle for the last Champions League spot... I think a one more good signing to any of these sides could sway it.

Going to be hard for you to finish top for without RVP this year...

It's pretty open between Tottenham, Liverpool, Arsenal and even Newcastle for the last Champions League spot... I think a one more good signing to any of these sides could sway it.

Disagree, Arsenal has a very deep squad this season, but the loss of RVP will hurt.

Not saying they weren't going to...

But if they had kept hold of RVP I would of had them as near certainties for top 4... The loss brings them back to the pack.

Really? With RVP I would have said certainties for top 2..

Really? With RVP I would have said certainties for top 2..

I would of had Chelsea (Brilliant signings all summer long) and City still above them... And Kagawa is an incredible signing for United and should really solve a lot of the issues they were having in the middle of the park last season... Not to mention they will have Vidic back as well...

Liverpool won't get near the top 4 i reckon. Our squad has gone ridiculously backwards since we sacked Rafa. We're honestly a decent mid-table team and no more, if we finish 6th we've had a good season.

Makes my cry inside how far we've fallen over the last few years and that we can no longer compete for some of the big signings Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd are making.

Liverpool won't get near the top 4 i reckon. Our squad has gone ridiculously backwards since we sacked Rafa. We're honestly a decent mid-table team and no more, if we finish 6th we've had a good season.

Makes my cry inside how far we've fallen over the last few years and that we can no longer compete for some of the big signings Chelsea, Man City and Man Utd are making.

My thoughts exactly. I remember the first proper season I followed the EPL it was Liverpool and United neck and neck for the title, and since then they've just completely dropped away.

My thoughts exactly. I remember the first proper season I followed the EPL it was Liverpool and United neck and neck for the title, and since then they've just completely dropped away.

Yeah true! We had such an awesome squad. Alonso, Mascherano and Gerrard in the midfield with Torres up top. IMO i don't think many other teams across Europe could compete with that sort of power. I didn't have any fear about who we played and was confident we could beat anyone (except Birmingham, lol). But compare it now with an aging Gerrard, Charlie Adam, Henderson, Allen..... We're Aston Villa mk II and i was nervous just playing Gomel in the Europa qualifiers just in the last week. We're a shambles. Thanks Hicks & Gillette.

I don't think we can really finish top 4 this season... But we should finish 5th or 6th...

I don't think its the quality of players we have... it more was Dalglish's footballing philosophy last year..

If we can get one more wide forward and another midfielder before the end of the transfer period we should have quite a good squad...

Gerrard is actually fit at the start of the season for once... And Allen is a great signing... I think Henderson will flourish under Rogers and most importantly Lucas is back and actually not looking too shabby... Plus we have Sterling who has been fantastic all pre season and deserves a start this Saturday... (Hopefully this depth means we are selling Adam or letting him rot on the bench)

If we can keep our defence together (Don't loose Agger) our two main CB's are fine and Coates is a good backup... (Not confident in Carra anymore...) Johnson, Flanagan and Kelly are all quality RB's... Admitedly we could use some more competition for Enrique though...

Up front though we are really lacking some depth though... On the left our only options are Downing and Cole... With Sterling coming on as a sub... Central we have Borini with Carrol as back up (And he really doesn't fit Rogers style of play...) and out right I guess we will let Suarez go crazy... Or perhaps let him play a false 9 type role... With Morgan and Sterling providing backup...

All in all if we hypothetically get Dempsey from Fulham and Sahin from Madrid we look like we actually have a quality squad... And hopefully push on towards champions league next season

Yeah we never seem to have much depth up forward, well since Houlliers days i think when we had Owen/Fowler/Heskey etc.... Rafa prefered one up top, but yeah we need someone decent up there to rotate/cover Suarez. I'm not sure if we'd get away with playing Carroll on his own, couldn't see it working. Dempsey could be decent, but i just wonder if it was a one-off last season. He came from nowhere and he is pushing 30 as well. And is Borini a striker? Scored a nice goal against Gomel.

It would be criminal to let Agger go, i read an interview that he really wants to stay and if he leaves it's out of his hands. So i hope we keep him as well. Agree on needing a LB and some wingers. But i heard Sterling is going out on loan, Rodgers doesn't think he is ready yet.

Dalgleish really was a dinosaur when it came to matchday. Just bizarre use of subs and what not. Anyway, we'll see how the season pans out, but you seem a lot more optimistic than me. lol. I don't think we'll get anywhere near Utd, City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs etc... But if we can win a vast majority of the others, we might go alright.

Its funny last year our records against the top teams was rather good... Our record against bottom teams was appalling... (Seemed to really fall to pieces if others used a physical brand of football against us...)

Rogers usually deploys a 4-3-3 or 4-2-1-2-1 formation that has a bit of a press to it (Think Barcelona) So we won't probably use Carrol much in those formations for they need the strikers to have real exceptional movement...

Carrolls main hope will be that he deploys a 4-4-1-1 or a 4-4-2 diamond formation (Which he did a few times in the preseason...) But I see both of those kind of as a last ditch situation...

Borini is a young striker who was actually named in Italy's squad for Euro's... Has a lot of potential and is quite a deadly finisher... Not to mention has played under Roger's on lone before and has actually gone quite well...

The signing I am excited for is Allen!!! That boy is amazing and really established himself as one of the top midfielders in England last year!!!

Video's of Borini and Allen below.

Borini

And Allen

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not sure if anyone seen this in the Udinese v Braga game last night.... Was watching it on the tele and started pissing myself laughing.

SYNCHRONIZED-DIVING.gif

Liverpool actually look better this year though. Just need finishers because they are screwed if Suarez has off games/injured. Same with Gerrard.

Moving Carroll on will cost them points this year, no plan B to throw on in the last 20 mins. Especially since they didn't replace him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back