Opinion Ask Janus!

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds ALMOST like you've changed your opinion on Duursma because he got traded 🤷‍♂️
To be honest, I dont reckon I've ever seen an actual opinion posted from him.

It's always some justification of the clubs position or direction with regards to something, formed on a bunch of stats compiled purely on the basis of the confirmation bias which defines his posts.

We're always set to be the best for many obscure reasons until we arent. Our player mix is always perfect for many obscure reasons until it isn't. Our selection and coaching is always appropriate for what we need based on some obscure trends until it isn't.

It's honestly not worth reading.

Last edited:

I don't know how so many people can get past the first couple of lines of a Janus post, let alone engage in an argument with them. I don't have the energy to engage with a gish galloper.
There's gish gallopers, Brandoloini's law and Janus posts.

I don't know how so many people can get past the first couple of lines of a Janus post, let alone engage in an argument with them. I don't have the energy to engage with a gish galloper.

I usually put people on ignore for being arseholes, but in this case (and it was long before the cult of Kenny took a stranglehold on the club) it was just for being too bizarre, but not in an interesting way.

No…why are people overthinking this? I’m pointing out one aspect of a premiership side that you can’t win the flag without. It doesn’t mean if you fix that you’ll win anything - you need all the other stuff too. But it does mean if you don’t have it you’re not winning anything cause it’s pretty ******* important when most teams play a front half game.
Is one of those things a grand final calibre coach?

On SM-G975F using BigFooty.com mobile app

To be honest, I dont reckon I've ever seen an actual opinion posted from him.

It's always some justification of the clubs position or direction with regards to something, based on a bunch of stats compiled purely on the basis of the confirmation bias which defines his posts.

We're always set to be the best for many obscure reasons until we arent. Our player mix is always perfect for many obscure reasons until it isn't. Our selection and coaching is always appropriate for what we need based on some obscure trends until it isn't.

It's honestly not worth reading.
It's off season though. We need something to do.

Picking apart Janus' arguments, whilst monumentally simple to do, is better than teal prison bars debates.

Is one of those things a grand final calibre coach?

1. Key defenders who intercept and get the ball to the half-backs - addressed by Aliir, Ratugolea and Zerk-Thatcher
2. Half backs who distribute the ball well and provide attacking options when they push forward into attack - addressed by Houston, Williams, Burton, Jones and Farrell
3. Midfielders who work both ways and provide outlets in attacking transition/put pressure on the ball carrier defensively - addressed by Butters, Rozee, Wines, Drew, Horne-Francis and Bergman
4. A dynamic midfield with different threats (power/explosiveness/tenacity/agility/skill) - see point 3
5. A ruck that competes and can drop in the hole to assist both forward and back - addressed by Soldo and Sweet
6. Half forwards who lock the ball inside 50 and keep up pressure while kicking goals themselves - addressed by Powell-Pepper and Byrne-Jones
7. Small forwards that are creative and can score from limited opportunities - addressed by Rioli and whoever is resting forward out of the midfield
8. Key forwards that provide multiple attacking options (lead up/aerial/power etc) - addressed by Dixon, Marshall, Finlayson and Georgiades

I believe this is the first time since Hinkley arrived he has more than one player in every category - he certainly has never had more than one solid intercept defender, and that came with Aliir in 2021. Chris Scott actually did him a favour last year, because if he had Ratugolea this year and still couldn't make it to the GF I don't think he would have been renewed for two years. And this is definitely his last contract if he doesn't make it within the next two years - there is no longer anything missing.

P.S. I'll say it again - Amon was a greater loss to this team than Duursma ever will be. At least Amon knew how to play wing properly - Duursma quite clearly didn't if he believes that his job was simply to 'create space for Rozee and Butters'.

1. Key defenders who intercept and get the ball to the half-backs - addressed by Aliir, Ratugolea and Zerk-Thatcher
2. Half backs who distribute the ball well and provide attacking options when they push forward into attack - addressed by Houston, Williams, Burton, Jones and Farrell
3. Midfielders who work both ways and provide outlets in attacking transition/put pressure on the ball carrier defensively - addressed by Butters, Rozee, Wines, Drew, Horne-Francis and Bergman
4. A dynamic midfield with different threats (power/explosiveness/tenacity/agility/skill) - see point 3
5. A ruck that competes and can drop in the hole to assist both forward and back - addressed by Soldo and Sweet
6. Half forwards who lock the ball inside 50 and keep up pressure while kicking goals themselves - addressed by Powell-Pepper and Byrne-Jones
7. Small forwards that are creative and can score from limited opportunities - addressed by Rioli and whoever is resting forward out of the midfield
8. Key forwards that provide multiple attacking options (lead up/aerial/power etc) - addressed by Dixon, Marshall, Finlayson and Georgiades

I believe this is the first time since Hinkley arrived he has more than one player in every category - he certainly has never had more than one solid intercept defender, and that came with Aliir in 2021. Chris Scott actually did him a favour last year, because if he had Ratugolea this year and still couldn't make it to the GF I don't think he would have been renewed for two years. And this is definitely his last contract if he doesn't make it within the next two years - there is no longer anything missing.

P.S. I'll say it again - Amon was a greater loss to this team than Duursma ever will be. At least Amon knew how to play wing properly - Duursma quite clearly didn't if he believes that his job was simply to 'create space for Rozee and Butters'.
Do you actually believe any of this tripe?

'We wouldn't have re-signed Hinkley if we had Ratugolea on our list already" might be your most delusional take yet.

Point 7- apart from Francis , I can’t really remember other mids resting forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Duursma admitted he was playing to the team plan based on the coaching group's instructions. Not that he didn't know how to play the wing position as you normally would!!!

Point 7- apart from Francis , I can’t really remember other mids resting forward.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Most of the points in Janus' post are predicated on:

1. All the trades this post season actually perform capably and are an upside on previous players in those positions - a very big "If"
2. Our crack midfield actually start to become two way runners, and stop bludging when other teams get a run on - another toss of the coin.

Lol. I was being facetious. I knew you wouldn't include a grand final calibre coach.

So does this make it 11 from 11 seasons under Ken you have claimed that we now have all the missing pieces.

I'll look forward to your peice on our missing wings at the end of the year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Most of the points in Janus' post are predicated on:

1. All the trades this post season actually perform capably and are an upside on previous players in those positions - a very big "If"
2. Our crack midfield actually start to become two way runners, and stop bludging when other teams get a run on - another toss of the coin.
1. Ratugolea and Zerk-Thatcher + Aliir is the same as how any team has to play Lever and May, or Stewart and De Koning, or Andrews and Payne, or Moore and Murphy/Howe. We can't do any worse than what we have been.

2. It's easier to run two ways when the ground becomes compressed due to having marking threats across the ground in defence, since you're not running around trying to plug up holes and instead can focus on applying pressure.

It's like when someone 'owned' me earlier when they said that 14 out of 18 AFL coaches roll with more than one defender who averages 2+ intercept marks per game. So what people are saying is that over three quarters of elite coaches in Australian Rules football advocate for what I am talking about? And that's supposed to be a counter argument?

Ahhh, finally, Total Football has arrived.

season 9 GIF

So when we fail again next year, will you finally accept that the part of the club thats isnt at premiership standard is the coach?

Lol. I was being facetious. I knew you wouldn't include a grand final calibre coach.
Because I've said before, the coach is irrelevant if the system is the right one.
So does this make it 11 from 11 seasons under Ken you have claimed that we now have all the missing pieces.
Hmm, let me do a search....nope, can't find any time where I've claimed this.
I'll look forward to your peice on our missing wings at the end of the year.

Bergman kicking 3 goals from a wing against GWS says we'll do just fine.

So, just to be clear...now that we have everything in place, if by some completely improbable circumstance we can't beat top 4 teams, or the crows, or be properly competitive in a final should we make it, maybe...just maybe...it might be that Ken's not a footballing mastermind?

Or are we gonna find that we had a half back who lays 1 less tackle every 4 games than the league's average and how could we possibly expect to compete with such a glaring problem? Or something. Actually, whatever. Idgaf anymore. Good home Rooch, you're drunk.

I couldn’t tell you the last time I read a post by Janus.

I scroll past every single time.
I'm a bit like that myself. But if my memory serves me correctly, and someone else may remember too, Janus took part in one of Macca's podcasts some time ago and came across as being very sensible and easy to listen to. So ???

The coach is irrelevant if the system is right.

So the players are at fault for not implementing the right system then. Makes sense. Poor old Kenny cannot find the players that can coach themselves the right system. Blokes a victim.

So when we fail again next year, will you finally accept that the part of the club thats isnt at premiership standard is the coach?
Nah, it'll be because McEntee was 0.1 off a totally arbitrary magical number of 5.0 pressure acts per game inside the F50 which will be next year's cherrypicked key du jour for premiership success.

However, our trade of an out-of-contract Butters for Ned McHenry and a future third will be lauded as the panacea for rectifying this deficiency and the reason why the competition will have to watch out in 2025.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back