Anderson: The Fixer

Remove this Banner Ad

I suspect that the high attendances, good football and large TV rights are coincidental with, not the result of, Anderson's work. No different to CEOs of large banks claiming it was their brilliant management that led to huge profit growth in the previous bull market and barnstorming economy.
Maybe so. But hardly grounds for dismissal, is it?

Fact of the matter is that the public are voting with their feet re his performance. We're getting along to the footy these days in record numbers. The "brand" of footy is as good as ever, as is evident by the way Geelong took on the competition last year and by how Hawthorn and the dogs are playing this year.

TV rights are the most lucrative in the country and AFL is the number one sport in Oz based on a number of metrics. I'd say he's doing a very good job. I suspect many of the inane rumblings on this thread are from 15 year olds with no understanding that AFL is now a multi multi million dollar business. People in business don't always make decisions to be popular. But if the crowds keep turning up, memberships keep increasing and the corporate dollar is getting on board, I'd say job well done.

I don't particularly care if the average attendance to games has risen 'X'%. I don't speak about football in terms of the 'brand'. I'm not worried about measuring AFL on against other codes using "a number of metrics".

I am suspicious of anyone that claims to be a fan of the game, has observed the new interchange rule in operation, and defends its creator. I am afraid for the game and what else might be made unrecognisable when the man charged with solving most of its problems spurts out the same corporate lingo drivel to defend his incompotence that you have.

I don't particularly care if the average attendance to games has risen 'X'%. I don't speak about football in terms of the 'brand'. I'm not worried about measuring AFL on against other codes using "a number of metrics".

I am suspicious of anyone that claims to be a fan of the game, has observed the new interchange rule in operation, and defends its creator. I am afraid for the game and what else might be made unrecognisable when the man charged with solving most of its problems spurts out the same corporate lingo drivel to defend his incompotence that you have.
Firstly, I'm a big fan of the game so you can sleep easily. My favourite footy ground is KP, and suburban footy is close to my heart so I respect the heritage and history of the game and also believe the AFL need to be mindful of that too.

As for the corporate lingo, I wasn't aware I was engaging in that. Merely, I was pointing out that the AFL is a business and like any business there are KPIs (couldn't resist ;-) and he's hitting them.

Regarding the I/C rules, yeah it needs tweaking, but we're yet to see how it impacts upon the field of play. I'd say give it a few more weeks before making a definitive judgement on it. Unfortunately, it is a business and after the swans/roos debacle, something needed to be done. Is this the solution? I can't comment yet as I've yet to see how it will impact upon the game once it is enforced.

Firstly, I'm a big fan of the game so you can sleep easily. My favourite footy ground is KP, and suburban footy is close to my heart so I respect the heritage and history of the game and also believe the AFL need to be mindful of that too.

As for the corporate lingo, I wasn't aware I was engaging in that. Merely, I was pointing out that the AFL is a business and like any business there are KPIs (couldn't resist ;-) and he's hitting them.

Regarding the I/C rules, yeah it needs tweaking, but we're yet to see how it impacts upon the field of play. I'd say give it a few more weeks before making a definitive judgement on it. Unfortunately, it is a business and after the swans/roos debacle, something needed to be done. Is this the solution? I can't comment yet as I've yet to see how it will impact upon the game once it is enforced.

It is my view that the AFL and australian rules more broadly is "hitting its KPIs" despite its administration and not due to it.

In related news, Pippa Grange has announced that all AFL employees are banned from reading the Age newspaper due to the high risk of mental illness.

"We are concerned with the psychological effects of today's media," said Ms Grange. "In particular, we have started to notice the development of delusions of grandeur and god complexes."

In addition, AFL executives will be banned from appearing on On The Couch.

"Gerard Healy is a dangerous man," said Ms Grange, holding reams of studies on the deleterious effect of omnipotent power fantasies. "AFL employees deserve to have shiny shoes, but saliva is not as good as boot polish."

Anyone else lose their breakfast when they read this garbage?
what?? T-Pains post or the article.

T-Pains post was fairly spot on.

the article just makes you hate this guys more.

Nothing more than redicolous PR spin.

Another one for the AFL file.

We had Patrick Smith's article earlier in the week about how hard it is being the CEO of a sporting organisation and how little credit you get... :rolleyes:

Fact of the matter is that the public are voting with their feet re his performance. We're getting along to the footy these days in record numbers. The "brand" of footy is as good as ever, as is evident by the way Geelong took on the competition last year and by how Hawthorn and the dogs are playing this year.

TV rights are the most lucrative in the country and AFL is the number one sport in Oz based on a number of metrics. I'd say he's doing a very good job. I suspect many of the inane rumblings on this thread are from 15 year olds with no understanding that AFL is now a multi multi million dollar business. People in business don't always make decisions to be popular. But if the crowds keep turning up, memberships keep increasing and the corporate dollar is getting on board, I'd say job well done.

The people are going to the footy because they love their clubs,don't be deluded most fans if not all hate the powerbrokers at the AFL!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back