• VA,

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • Christian boy,

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Squarehead

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I think the show genuinely wanted to give Leanne the opportunity to redeem the family/Rob from the embarassing first season 24-hr tapout.

They would have been 100% sure she wouldn't have made it to the end, but might have managed 2-3 weeks which would've salvaged the family rep. She appeared to have fairly similar/strong survival and hunting skills to Rob.

The annoying reality is though is that her experience was a mirror image of Rob, she pulled out the photo of loved ones and sobbed that she wanted to be there for her little kids and not miss out. Guess what Leanne? I'm the exact same. I have two small kids and even if could harpoon a Kiwi Whale with a bag of expired mentos lollies and live off the frothy blubber for months you wouldn't catch me anywhere near a show like Alone.

Everything both Leanne and Rob said, should have been realised prior to the show - especially in Leanne's case.

I work for an Aboriginal organisation and I will say that most of them can't bear to be without their family for more than a day or two.. it's a commendable quality, but even more frustrating in the context of a survival show like Alone.

I could give you thousands of Aboriginals who could survive in the bush better than most for months and months. I know of little Boorais who have gone bush and come back kilos heavier.

Last edited:
Would at least like to see and hear them before calling early exit.

Magic Mike is overcome with his bragging ways and reality.
So a major panic looks to have ensued.
Calling a twiggy branch a "tree rub" automatically set it off for me.

Just watching ep2 with my wife now and we've both said the same about him.

Good advertising for his professional life like Richie the motivational speaker / bully
/ gaslighter.from MAFS.

Last edited:

I've not long finished living in outback WA for 8 years, it's a million miles away from what this lot in NZ and last year in Tassie were in. The two aren't comparable.

Yes let’s see how they go surviving in relentless 40 plus degree days for 5 years without easy access to water and without monitoring and support. They would not survive 3 months.

Last edited:
Yes let’s see how they go surviving in relentless 40 plus degree days for 5 years without easy access to water and without monitoring and support. They would not survive 3 months.
It's a significantly different set of skills. Heat vs Cold, different animals & vegetation, being mobile vs fixed camp (i.e. exhaustion of local resources). Being alone, vs being with the family (I'm gussing that most of these walkabouts would not be done alone).

I'm not saying that surviving in the desert is easier than surviving in NZ, just that they require very different skill sets.

It's a significantly different set of skills. Heat vs Cold, different animals & vegetation, being mobile vs fixed camp (i.e. exhaustion of local resources). Being alone, vs being with the family (I'm gussing that most of these walkabouts would not be done alone).

I'm not saying that surviving in the desert is easier than surviving in NZ, just that they require very different skill sets.

Agreed re the different skill set.

Why? They're not in the outback, they're in a wet, freezing cold place with a lot of restrictions on what they can hunt and eat.

Give it a rest.

I watch Alone to learn something about bushcraft, not to watch someone cry about missing their family after a couple of days. Then again, the show's producers won't want the contestants to settle in and last for more than a couple of months. Whoever can find a natural deterrent to sand flies will probably win this season.

I watch Alone to learn something about bushcraft, not to watch someone cry about missing their family after a couple of days. Then again, the show's producers won't want the contestants to settle in and last for more than a couple of months. Whoever can find a natural deterrent to sand flies will probably win this season.
I don't mind them talking about how much they miss their families... after they've been in the bush for 2 months.

Doing it only days after being dropped... WTF were you thinking when you applied to be on the show?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What are people's expectations from tonight's episode (s02e03)?

There are 3 contestants who have barely had any screen time in the first 3 episodes - Jack, Jason, and Susan. I'm hoping a lot of the episode will focus on this trio, so we finally have a chance to get to know them. Presumably the lack of air time for this trio either indicates that they didn't turn in any usable footage, they're extremely dull to watch, or they're going deep in the contest and we'll be seeing a lot more of them in later episodes. Right now, we have barely seen any footage of them at all (if any), so we don't know their stories at all.

The utterly useless diversity casting, Leanne, is gone - so there's no more bad poetry, no more whining about missing family (after being away from them for just over a week), and more air time for worthwhile people. The show can only improve for her absence.

My favourite character so far is Rick, the bearded ex-SAS guy, who wasn't afraid to go swimming in the freezing cold waters of Lake Te Anau. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him this episode, given that we didn't see a lot of him in episode 2 (just a brief section early in the episode).

I'm guessing we'll see a few people starting to progress their shelters, and maybe a few finding protein - either fish or feral animals (which are on the menu).

Anyone game to tip who will tap out this week? Could it be one of the unseen trio, or will Tamika tap out after spending so much energy shifting camp last week?

What are people's expectations from tonight's episode (s02e03)?

There are 3 contestants who have barely had any screen time in the first 3 episodes - Jack, Jason, and Susan. I'm hoping a lot of the episode will focus on this trio, so we finally have a chance to get to know them. Presumably the lack of air time for this trio either indicates that they didn't turn in any usable footage, they're extremely dull to watch, or they're going deep in the contest and we'll be seeing a lot more of them in later episodes. Right now, we have barely seen any footage of them at all (if any), so we don't know their stories at all.

The utterly useless diversity casting, Leanne, is gone - so there's no more bad poetry, no more whining about missing family (after being away from them for just over a week), and more air time for worthwhile people. The show can only improve for her absence.

My favourite character so far is Rick, the bearded ex-SAS guy, who wasn't afraid to go swimming in the freezing cold waters of Lake Te Anau. I wouldn't mind seeing more of him this episode, given that we didn't see a lot of him in episode 2 (just a brief section early in the episode).

I'm guessing we'll see a few people starting to progress their shelters, and maybe a few finding protein - either fish or feral animals (which are on the menu).

Anyone game to tip who will tap out this week? Could it be one of the unseen trio, or will Tamika tap out after spending so much energy shifting camp last week?
They split the introductions so that you get to know people better.
That was decided because viewer's struggled learning ten names in episode one.

They split the introductions so that you get to know people better.
That was decided because viewer's struggled learning ten names in episode one.
I agree that there's not enough time in a single episode to give all 10 a decent airing. I was expecting to meet 5 in the first episode, and 5 in the second. I was surprised when they chose to devote so much of episode 2 to contestants who had already been introduced (and given significant air time) in episode 1. I wasn't expecting to get to episode 3 with 3 contestants still having had 0 air time (or very close to it).

Maybe they should have put all of Leanne's garbage into the 2nd episode, freeing up time for someone else in the 1st episode? It's not as if her footage added anything of value.

Anyone game to tip who will tap out this week?
I'm hoping nobody will tap out just to see how people make use of their skills in the bush. Outback Mike was good making all sorts of things like a chair, fishing rod and reel and a boat - none of which did him any good but it was good to watch.
I really like the different structures contestants make, using twine, wire etc.
For Gina to go into the cold of Tassie without a sleeping bag and a block of salt as one of her 10 items was amazing.
Three people went into this one with a water bottle - I'd like to see them tap out early as they obviously imho have no idea, yet Gina had an idea with her choices. Mike didn't even like the sleeping bag he took because it got soaking wet on the inside.
Except for the ones I dislike, like the Christian boynin the previous show, I don't get very taken in by any of the contestants, just like to see what they achieve. Gina was always heading in the right direction by connecting with her natural environment and hopefully some of these so-called professionals will do the same in NZ. Crikey, if someone gets a deer every week and a couple of fish and isn't missing home they could stay there infinitum which would have to be a concern to all the production people being on 24 hour standby in case of medical evacuations.

I'm hoping nobody will tap out just to see how people make use of their skills in the bush. Outback Mike was good making all sorts of things like a chair, fishing rod and reel and a boat - none of which did him any good but it was good to watch.
I really like the different structures contestants make, using twine, wire etc.
For Gina to go into the cold of Tassie without a sleeping bag and a block of salt as one of her 10 items was amazing.
Three people went into this one with a water bottle - I'd like to see them tap out early as they obviously imho have no idea, yet Gina had an idea with her choices. Mike didn't even like the sleeping bag he took because it got soaking wet on the inside.
Except for the ones I dislike, like the Christian boynin the previous show, I don't get very taken in by any of the contestants, just like to see what they achieve. Gina was always heading in the right direction by connecting with her natural environment and hopefully some of these so-called professionals will do the same in NZ. Crikey, if someone gets a deer every week and a couple of fish and isn't missing home they could stay there infinitum which would have to be a concern to all the production people being on 24 hour standby in case of medical evacuations.
I'm not suggesting that I want to see someone tap out... but statistically, it would be very unusual NOT to see one at this stage.

As for their craftwork... Have you watched S2 of the US Alone series? One of the competitors in that series demonstrated amazing construction skills, building all sorts of different things - from a chess set, to a bush shower. His constructions were amazing, and no competitor on the Aus or US series has ever gone close to matching his achievements.

I understand you disliking the God botherer from S1. I didn't care for him either - I also didn't care for the fact that he was completely incapable of finding food, and tried to turn it into a starvation contest. Fortunately, Mike & Gina proved more adept at finding food, and outlasted him quite comfortably.

In contrast, I had a lot of time for the ex-Army guy, who was suffering from PTSD. I'm sure the casting crew knew that he wouldn't go the distance, but the way he opened up and raised awareness of PTSD was uplifting. Far moreso than Leanne reciting bad poetry...

Certainly a lot of reflection from the contestants on leaving the show, which is disappointing. Those deer are devilishly hard, can waste a lot of calories looking and can't hunt them at night when they're standing next to your shelter. Good to see the others in the 10. It's hard to pick a winner at this stage as they may all be gone in 2 weeks.

You were right! It looks like the mouldy berry eater had to go and that's a shame because she was only eating a few berries until she got some fish or meat. In hindsight the ones off the ground were not a good idea.

Did you happen to listen to this episode of Awaye!

You were right! It looks like the mouldy berry eater had to go and that's a shame because she was only eating a few berries until she got some fish or meat. In hindsight the ones off the ground were not a good idea.
She hasn't tapped yet. Given the way they do those "preview" shots, the boat going up the lake could still be 2 episodes away.

I'm not 100% certain, but I think it's Suzanne who we see in another of the previews, tucked inside her sleeping bag while a storm is raging outside her shelter, saying that she's got her phone ready to tap if the situation gets any worse. If I am correct, then it would suggest she's not going home early in episode 4. However, I could be incorrect...
Did you happen to listen to this episode of Awaye!
I don't listen to any podcasts.

I don't listen to any podcasts.
Oh. I'll tell you what was in it then. The producer said they don't tell contestants where they're going until the give them their plane tickets a week before. They've all got their ten items at that stage. How come then did every one of the contestants take a bow and arrow to hunt with and you'd think the show would be in Australia as that's what it's name is and In Australia hunting with a bow and arrow is either banned, restricted or needs a licence.
I'm starting to think reality shows are a bit unrealistic, made up, contrived.
It meant that if you applied for the second season and didn't hunt with a bow and arrow then you wouldn't even be considered which is stupid because half the contestants won't even be getting anything hunting that way.
We've already seen you'd have more luck getting an animal with a shovel.
And Jason in the podcast said he wasn't allowed to reveal what items he took - why not?

Oh. I'll tell you what was in it then. The producer said they don't tell contestants where they're going until the give them their plane tickets a week before. They've all got their ten items at that stage. How come then did every one of the contestants take a bow and arrow to hunt with and you'd think the show would be in Australia as that's what it's name is and In Australia hunting with a bow and arrow is either banned, restricted or needs a licence.
I'm starting to think reality shows are a bit unrealistic, made up, contrived.
It meant that if you applied for the second season and didn't hunt with a bow and arrow then you wouldn't even be considered which is stupid because half the contestants won't even be getting anything hunting that way.
We've already seen you'd have more luck getting an animal with a shovel.
And Jason in the podcast said he wasn't allowed to reveal what items he took - why not?
They obviously knew more than that, right from the time when they applied to be on the show. Having a passport would have needed to be a pre-requisite, and as soon as they saw that on the requirements list they would have known that it was being filmed overseas. Alone is always shot in a cold climate, so NZ is the only realistic location for shooting this show outside Australia.

All reality TV shows are contrived, and anyone who thinks they are even vaguely realistic has rocks in their head. Having said that, Alone is infinitely more "real" than the likes of MAFS of MasterChef.

I think it's fair to say that the producers weren't telling the whole truth when they made that statement. My guess is that contestants were told that they were going to NZ, but they weren't told where in NZ (i.e. Lake Te Anau) until the week before. If that's the case, then the producer's statement would be misleading - but not incorrect.

The reason for the lack of bow hunting at night is obvious - safety. It's against the law to hunt at night in NZ, because you often can't see beyond the target. If you miss, and there's another person you didn't see on the other side of the animal, then you can end up with an accidental death.

It's fairly obvious from the footage that they do see deer during daylight hours, so it remains to be seen whether or not we get a big animal kill. Even if they do, it probably won't be the game changer that it is in the US due to problems with storing the meat. The climate in NZ is nothing like northern Canada - it's humid, wet, and the temperatures are mostly above 0 degrees. They're certainly not consistently below -5 degrees, which is required for safe storage of the meat. Even if they smoke the meat, they'll still need to consume it fairly quickly, before it goes rancid. They won't be dining off a single kill for a month or more, as we've seen with the "beast" kills in the US version.

Someone on another forum has identified the locations for all Alone Australia S2 participants:
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=15hazDaoFsp_aCf0cp1rlbjnLq_9K4lY&ll=-45.061839875898116,167.70178085&z=12

General consensus seems to be that Andreas is at the end of a shallow reach, so his fishing prospects are not good - more likely to catch eels than fish, given the shallow water.

In contrast, Kryszysztoffff has good access to deep water, at the junction of the main lake and one of the northern arms.

Tamika is only 4km from the main highway, with relatively flat terrain behind her campsite (compared to most of the others). She would, however, need to cross a river to get there.

Rick & Chace are VERY close together, separated by just over 1km, with no insurmountable terrain between them. There's speculation that they've been given instructions not to cross the dry creek bed, half way between their respective camspites.

Apparently the lake is regularly travelled by boats taking people to the start of the Milford Track, though walkers/trampers would not be numerous during the colder months when filming was taking place.

Last edited:
Back