Movie Alien: Romulus

Remove this Banner Ad

Ripley won't ever return unless Sigourney Weaver loves the story and script. Last thing she ever did related to the franchise was the game Alien Isolation and that was better than any of the movies of the last 30 years. Would actually make a great story for a film but Hollywood would find a way to f$% it up.
Dont need Ripley to return not to mention I feel she is way too old now (will be mid 70+) to reprise that role in a meaningful manner.

I only wished that the Prometheus movies tied into the Alien movies with a proper connection. That is one of the crew is the mother/father of Ripley, which is what I thought with Alien Covenant, that the lead actress may be connected to Ripley.

Promethues was flawed but was the best film since Aliens becuase they tried something new. Covenant wasn't awful but ordinary because the played it way too safe repeating too much we've all seen too much before and of course done way better. Would've at least liked a 3rd movie though, still a chance that it could've been salvaged and ended up being a decent trilogy overall.
I enjoyed both movies, but do agree with you about Covenant.

There wont be a third, the timing of the pandemic probably killed any chance of something.

I can see Hollywood again rebooting this franchise again and again as there with each passing decade a new audience that hasnt seen any of them. Its disappointing because there is so many movies and sequels out there that dont have meaningful end, you get to the point of just accepting and enjoying a movie when its release and then wait again for a few years for it to rebooted, regardless of how much you liked it.

Im sure Prometheus will be rebooted from the beginning too.

Dont need Ripley to return not to mention I feel she is way too old now (will be mid 70+) to reprise that role in a meaningful manner.

I only wished that the Prometheus movies tied into the Alien movies with a proper connection. That is one of the crew is the mother/father of Ripley, which is what I thought with Alien Covenant, that the lead actress may be connected to Ripley.
They just needed to set Prometheus on LV-426 and do a proper origin of the derelict and it would have been awesome imo, rather then the bait and switch with it being a different planet.

No one will ever convince me that wasn't the original intention before the suits got involved and said hey why do 1 movie when we can do 3.

I can see Hollywood again rebooting this franchise again and again as there with each passing decade a new audience that hasnt seen any of them. Its disappointing because there is so many movies and sequels out there that dont have meaningful end, you get to the point of just accepting and enjoying a movie when its release and then wait again for a few years for it to rebooted, regardless of how much you liked it.
This. Was listening to a podcast the other day, someone called this approach the 'death of finality'.

This. Was listening to a podcast the other day, someone called this approach the 'death of finality'.
Its sad liking your post as its so true. Im glad Im not alone in thinking this way.

In regards to "Alien". I think in fairness the series Alien did have some form of "meaningful" ending with Alien 4, though not satisfying. At least the Extended Version did.

They just needed to set Prometheus on LV-426 and do a proper origin of the derelict and it would have been awesome imo, rather then the bait and switch with it being a different planet.

No one will ever convince me that wasn't the original intention before the suits got involved and said hey why do 1 movie when we can do 3.
So true, when that planet was named, I wanted to punch someone in the face for that decision.

Dont get me started with Elizabeth Shaw being barren and cant have kids either, as I was hoping she was Ripley's great grandmother.:$

I think that the best we can hope for is a decent to good film like the predator did with Prey.
I enjoyed Prey and liked how it was set in that time.

It shouldnt be hard to make an Alien film that is enjoyable. Lets not forget there is a massive audience that likely has never seen an Alien movie.

All you need is a place that is claustrophobic, a countdown clock, very few weapons to defeat the Alien, a few hysterical selfish people and also weak and vulnerable people in the cast and an unlikely hero. Those ingredients alone should get you a movie that is 6/10.

Like the first two Terminators it's all been done before and way, way better, so seeing it go through the motions again is just boring. And that started with Alien 3 almost 30 years ago when it tried to switch back to the tension of the original and for the most part failed. Sure the first 2 are very old movies but even now almost all the young people surely still would have seen them.

Like the first two Terminators it's all been done before and way, way better, so seeing it go through the motions again is just boring. And that started with Alien 3 almost 30 years ago when it tried to switch back to the tension of the original and for the most part failed. Sure the first 2 are very old movies but even now almost all the young people surely still would have seen them.

Would be interesting to know how many people under the age of 25 have seen Terminator and Alien the original movies?

I think the result may surprise you!:think:

It may surprise me too :drunk:, lol. I have no idea, but guessing its a small number.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be interesting to know how many people under the age of 25 have seen Terminator and Alien the original movies?

I think the result may surprise you!:think:

It may surprise me too :drunk:, lol. I have no idea, but guessing its a small number.
Good point on the originals so maybe them much but the sequels are very famous and I'd say well watched films from all ages that aren't as 'dated'.

A teenager now would probably turn Alien off after 30 minutes from boredom, but the 2nd not so much. The Terminator gets going pretty early but looks very old visually and more budget.

I would say the majority of people under 30 wouldnt have seen movies like Alien, Termintator etc.
Both these movies took time to really build that tension, drama and horror.

Im fairly certain within 30minutes most under 30 would be surfing on their phone inside 20minutes of watching them.

Alien and T1 are arguably the greatest SciFi, horror and action movies of all time. Its probably escaping me at 4.30am in the morning, but I cant recall a movie as good as both of these that are genuine Sci-Fi/action/horror movie of this quality. Their sequels were more SciFi/action than horror.

That is one of the crew is the mother/father of Ripley, which is what I thought with Alien Covenant, that the lead actress may be connected to Ripley.
200w.gif

nah, keep that family saga bs away from Alien, infact it is a franchise where the breeding interest (film-to-film) runs in the opposite direction and ain't (necessarily) human.

Now that they've seemingly binned the David timeline as well (and seemingly greenlit this after Prey), they might as well retire Alien as a prestige sci-fi and just reboot it as a visceral survival opening weekend vintage monster in the horror pantheon, similar to what you said here:
All you need is a place that is claustrophobic, a countdown clock, very few weapons to defeat the Alien, a few hysterical selfish people and also weak and vulnerable people in the cast and an unlikely hero. Those ingredients alone should get you a movie that is 6/10.
It's time. If we ain't getting the Covenant sequel, I accept the Xeno going solo (and maybe more gamer-friendly) in order to get that more youthful profitability. With the current state of mainstream cinema I accept it, and they have the right people to give that pivot a try.

nah, keep that family saga bs away from Alien, infact it is a franchise where the breeding interest (film-to-film) runs in the opposite direction and ain't (necessarily) human.

Now that they've seemingly binned the David timeline as well (and seemingly greenlit this after Prey), they might as well retire Alien as a prestige sci-fi and just reboot it as a visceral survival opening weekend vintage monster in the horror pantheon, similar to what you said here:

It's time. If we ain't getting the Covenant sequel, I accept the Xeno going solo in order to get that more youthful profitability.
kowalski-gran.gif

Nah, its all irrelevant what you have posted.

The fact is that they are moving in a new direction both on the big screen with a new movie that is unrelated to previous franchises and a new TV series. It doesnt even matter what storylines are used, in 5-10 years time it will all be rebooted again.

kowalski-gran.gif

Nah, its all irrelevant what you have posted.

The fact is that they are moving in a new direction both on the big screen with a new movie that is unrelated to previous franchises and a new TV series. It doesnt even matter what storylines are used, in 5-10 years time it will all be rebooted again.
Then you didn't read my quoted post and reacted emotionally by stating the obvious, well done!

No I did, I just noted you missed the mark entirely. Well done!
Hardly. They went in the most predictable direction, one where we wouldn't invest ourselves as much in storylines anymore (which as I said is fine and understandable), but apparently I 'missed the mark entirely' or 'all irrelevant what you posted' (including a quote from you which I agreed with and isn't refuted by what you replied with). It's just illogical to carry on so, and not worth it. I thought Ripley's ancestors was cringe, you disagree, and we move on. Simples.

Hardly. They went in the most predictable direction, one where we wouldn't invest ourselves as much in storylines anymore (which as I said is fine and understandable), but apparently I 'missed the mark entirely' or 'all irrelevant what you posted' (including a quote from you which I agreed with and isn't refuted by what you replied with). It's just illogical to carry on so, and not worth it.
Thats right, it is illogical.

Well if you get pissy at someone thinking Ripley's ancestors is a crap idea, then address that, defend it, rather than a vague 'all you post is worthless' shtpost that kills discussion. Later.
Dont be so precious where you say you are done with an argument then continue to ramble on.

No Im not, its a discussion forum. Youre entitled to have an opinion that is different or the same as anyone else.

The Shaw/Daniels possible relationship to Ripley was an idea/theory that has been explored had been well discussed both before and after the movie. In a way to connect all the movies to the original Alien.

Youve resorted to a futile attempt of belittling to argue a point. Maybe that was the time to step away from the keyboard.:think:

I agree and I would not have had Shaw killed off, at least not in the manner that they went with.

Shaw should have been the next Ripley. I would have explored the relationship between her and David that was teased during the Covenant Prologue. David could have developed some version of love for her which were not returned, despite her coming to consider him a close friend. A twisted story of unrequited love between android/machine and human could work in that universe imo and continue the themes from Prometheus. We saw Ash malfunction in that Alien scene where he tried to choke Ripley with a magazine in a weirdly sexual way, like trying to make up for his inadequacies. A similar anguish could lead David to do something like we saw with bombing the engineers if they mistreat or try to kill Shaw, and finally if Shaw has to die, have it meaningfully done - in a third film if they want to get really dark, in his twisted view, David using Shaw to create the first xenomorph queen which begins it all, in an attempt to fix her infertility problem (in a weird empathetic way). (which again was sorta teased in Covenant but really barely touched on) The queen can then kill David to end his story also.

That dynamic between the two characters will go down as one of the great storyline missed opportunities imo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back