Coach Alastair Clarkson IV - HFC Racism Investigation Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

So, you're comfortable with the fact that everyone involved in preparing the report was happy to completely ignore that Kennett was the one who upset Cyril to the extent that he left the club, by sticking to a bogus timeframe that avoided scrutinising Jeff?

Or, in other words, "what people thought Hawthorn should've done differently" is that the review should have genuinely targeted the real source of the problem, not the scapegoats who were clearly specified by Jeff himself to be targeted. Yes, we weren't to know (then) that Phil Egan is a crook, but clearly Jeff knew he could be bought.
But they should have known that Egan had a family connection with someone with an axe to grind against Hawthorn so it was totally inappropriate to appoint Egan to run the investigation and prepare the report.

It was set up by Kennett to do a hatchet job on Clarkson but it was so poorly set up and overseen that it blew up in Hawthorn’s face.

But they should have known that Egan had a family connection with someone with an axe to grind against Hawthorn so it was totally inappropriate to appoint Egan to run the investigation and prepare the report.

It was set up by Kennett to do a hatchet job on Clarkson but it was so poorly set up and overseen that it blew up in Hawthorn’s face.

It seems like the Hawthorn supporters don't want to acknowledge that. I didn't even look at what I know was a shitshow on the MB, but we got a nice snapshot of the attitude / delusion in this thread today.

I'm unsure what people thought Hawthorn should've done differently. Should we have ignored Cyril and not conducted a soul-searching review into past racism? Our club was trying improve things; trying to be better as a football club. They went into it in good faith.
We hired a crook, who is a family member of one of the complainants.

Let that sink in.

Yep, I've noticed that. Seems like a lot of misplaced rage to me. Shιt happens. Seems pretty knee-jerk for North fans to go nuclear about it just because Clarko signed a contract with you later that year. You guys act like you're the only victims. It was bad for everyone, FFS.

I'm unsure what people thought Hawthorn should've done differently. Should we have ignored Cyril and not conducted a soul-searching review into past racism? Our club was trying improve things; trying to be better as a football club. They went into it in good faith.

There was no sweeping things under the rug once the Binmada report came back. The club handballed it over to the AFL in exact accordance with the AFL's own guidelines. The AFL then chose to sit on it for a month or two, which is why Phil Egan leaked it to the ABC journo and lit the fuse. Not our fault.

You could argue we shouldn't have chosen Binmada to conduct the review, but they were gold standard for that type of stuff, used by many businesses and departments looking to improve their policies in relation to First Nation people. It turns out they are shake down artists and Phil Egan is a crook. How were we to know that?

Maybe the club admin was gullible and naive not consider what might occur if serious racism accusations were levelled by ex-players at our former coaches in the Binmada Report. But who the f**k could see any of that coming? I doubt anyone had even considered the possibility of serious human rights abuses.

You live and learn, I guess. 17 other clubs have learned from Hawthorn's naivety and now nobody will address the past wrongs their clubs may have committed. We can shut the door forever on that. Don't ask. Don't tell.

It wasn't like Hawthorn deliberately targeted Clarkson with all of this. Yet that's how many of you seem to have reacted.
As you have acknowledged yourself, not choosing a shakedown fraud should have been first consideration, but setting the scope to conveniently exclude Jeff Kennett was another misstep.

But the best thing Hawthorn should have done is follow Collingwood's Do Better program which is coming to be seen as best practice.

“The last two days have represented the first chance that we’ve had to sit down together and do what you should always do in trying to resolve difficult situations, and that’s talk about it.”

Nice little jab there from Clarko, presumably at our ABC.

You don't hear much from Rusty on his big scoop any more do you.

We hired a crook, who is a family member of one of the complainants.

Let that sink in.

Not knowing Egan's a crook is understandable (albeit they didn't do cultural due diligence) but hiring the relo of one of the aggrieved is unforgivable.

Tbh I won't be at all surprised if this ends with Clarko and the players in full agreement about how shockingly Hawthorn handled ir

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Clarko said he can’t make any comment until the HRC ‘deliver their findings/verdict’ can’t exactly remember what term he used. So this will be the next step.
I'm no law talking guy but I think you might have this a bit wrong. As I understand it, there is no verdict or findings at this point. The HRC does not make binding orders or decisions. It's essentially hosting a conversation between the parties and if resolution cannot be reached, then the whole shit show is potentially off to the Federal Court.

However, I think I know what you are referring to. Clarko alluded to the fact that nondisclosure agreements bind all parties and they will only be allowed to comment on aspects of conversations and any agreements reached if and when the HRC gives permission.

Last edited:
I'm no law talking guy but I think you might have this a bit wrong. As I understand it, there is no verdict or findings at this point. The HRC does not make binding orders or decisions. It's essentially hosting a conversation between the parties and if resolution cannot be reached, then the whole s**t show is potentially off to the Federal Court. I doubt that will happen.

That’s my take.

It’s just a platform for discussions at this stage.

I'm no law talking guy but I think you might have this a bit wrong. As I understand it, there is no verdict or findings at this point. The HRC does not make binding orders or decisions. It's essentially hosting a conversation between the parties and if resolution cannot be reached, then the whole s**t show is potentially off to the Federal Court. I doubt that will happen.
Yeah I can’t remember the term he used - but he said they are waiting on something from the HRC

Sorry for intruding.If I am right, Cyril was not part of the Phil Egan reprt. What exactly is the issue he has with Clarkson and Fagan?

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Nobody knows. Cyril and Clarko were tight right up until the report blew up. I'd heard that there'd been serious discussions between Clarko and Cyril about coming to North to do some development coaching.

Sorry for intruding.If I am right, Cyril was not part of the Phil Egan reprt. What exactly is the issue he has with Clarkson and Fagan?

On SM-A346E using BigFooty.com mobile app

I think Cyril was determined to get Hawthorn's racism issues into a legitimate court/body in any way possible.

From memory he and Shannyn-Ah Sam tangentially raised some of these issues in their original articles.

I reckon its not unpossible they want to give Clarko snd opportunity to clear their names or at the very least explain their said.

I think Cyril was determined to get Hawthorn's racism issues into a legitimate court/body in any way possible.

From memory he and Shannyn-Ah Sam tangentially raised some of these issues in their original articles.

I reckon its not unpossible they want to give Clarko snd opportunity to clear their names or at the very least explain their said.
Will he have locus standi in a court?

If you mean Cyril, than as an applicant to the Human Rights commission, then yes; whether he was one of the participants in the Egan review is immaterial
I meant Cyril. But if he is not alleging anything directly happened to him how does he have locus standi?

How does he even become an applicant to the HRC on the back of the incidents where he is not involved in?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back