AFLW AFLW General Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, impacted draft, getting the leftovers from last years draft class.

Love it when the afl makes up rules as it goes.

AFLW GF is on today. Brisbane 9-1 (282.4%, won QF by 17pts and PF by 23pts) vs Melbourne 9-1 (282.1%, won QF by 21pts and PF by 17pts). Have you seen two Grand Final teams so evenly matched?

AFLW looked for some clean air for the GF and then sbs decide to run full match replays of the overnight World Cup games and also Cam Smith turns up for the Australian PGA, tears it up on Saturday and is almost a must watch today…

Good news everyone. The expansion clubs are being given more concessions, while Carlton are allowed to lose another player for nothing. Hooray.

The AFL and AFLPA are pleased to announce that a Heads of Agreement (HOA) has been reached for the player movement period ahead of the 2023 AFLW Season (Season Eight).

Clubs and players were contacted today with a summary of the arrangements for a ‘Priority Signing Period’ as determined by the AFL.

Clubs and players also communicated a ‘Sign and Trade Period’ that will take place as a new CBA is being negotiated between the AFL and AFLPA.

KEY DATES
  • Priority Signing Period (PSP): 1 March (9am) – 8 March (2pm)
  • Sign and Trade Period: 10 March (9am) – 20 March (3pm)
Priority Signing Period

The Priority Signing Period (PSP) will allow the four AFLW Season Seven expansion clubs – Essendon, Hawthorn, Port Adelaide and the Sydney Swans – to sign ‘PSP players’ without a trade.

‘PSP players’ are those who have completed three or more AFLW seasons.

Essendon will be permitted to sign up to two players during the PSP. They will also be permitted to offer a ‘Secondary Relocation Reimbursement / Payment to players signed during the PSP.

Hawthorn will be permitted to sign up to three players during the PSP. They will also be permitted to offer a ‘Secondary Relocation Reimbursement / Payment to players signed during the PSP.

Port Adelaide will be granted two additional list spots for Season Eight. They will be permitted to sign up to three players during the PSP. They will also be permitted to offer a ‘Secondary Relocation Reimbursement / Payment to players signed during the PSP. They will be permitted to sign one underage player during the PSP.

Sydney Swans will be granted three additional list spots for Season Eight, reducing to for two for Season Nine. They will be permitted to sign up to five players during the PSP. They will also be permitted to offer a ‘Secondary Relocation Reimbursement / Payment to players signed during the PSP.

The Sydney Swans were also offered the ability to offer a longer-term contract with an additional two seasons more than allowed in the Season Eight list rules for two players. They are also permitted to offer a longer-term contract with an additional one season more than allowed in Season Eight list rules for three players.

The number of PSP players a club can lose is capped and based on their finishing position post-finals in Season Seven:
  • Clubs that finished 1st – 4th: no more than five players able to be lost through PSP
  • Clubs that finished 5th – 8th: no more than two players able to be lost through PSP
  • Clubs that finished 9th – 18th: no more than one player able to be lost through PSP
The AFLW List committee will determine any relevant compensation for clubs at the conclusion of the PSP.

Compensation will include draft picks to be used in the AFLW Draft leading into Season Nine of the AFLW. Any compensation will not be permitted to be traded in the Sign and Trade Period.

Sign and Trade Period

The sign and trade period will open at Friday 10 March at 9am and close at Monday 20 March at 3pm.
Clubs will pay players the pay rates from the existing CBA, with any potential changes applied retrospectively according to the ongoing CBA negotiations.
  • Tier 1 players will receive $71,935
  • Tier 2 players will receive $55,559
  • Tier 3 players will receive $47,372
  • Tier 4 players will receive $39,184
Clubs will not have to make a minimum number of list changes in the sign and trade period.
Further information regarding detailed timelines will be forthcoming.

AFL General Manager Women’s Football Nicole Livingstone said: “We’re pleased that we could reach an agreement with the AFLPA and provide our players and clubs with certainty before the next season of AFLW.”

AFLPA General Manager Player and Stakeholder Relations Brett Murphy said: “This agreement will provide certainty and security for players as we head towards Season Eight, enabling players and clubs to reach agreement and plan their return to training while broader CBA discussions remain ongoing.”

Good news everyone. The expansion clubs are being given more concessions, while Carlton are allowed to lose another player for nothing. Hooray.

This is grim reading. I have been a huge supporter of the AFLW since day one but the league is seemingly doing everything possible to drive fans away.

I get that the new teams need to be looked after, but they are doing so continuously at the expense of existing clubs. How about showing some appreciation for the clubs that jumped in straight away? Or are they no longer relevant because there are new and shiny toys to play with?

This new measure seems completely pointless and frankly just a slap in the face to all clubs other than those who joined in the last year or so.

I guess I should be thankful that we were s**t last year and therefore can only lose one player...for absolutely nothing. Yay! As long as the new clubs are good though, that's what matters. Right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sydney I can understand needing more concessions. They are in dire need of elite talent and this makes it super easy for them to get Molloy for free should she chose to leave the Pies. Port and Hawthorn, yeah ok maybe a little bit. But * hardly need it, they are already annoyingly competitive.

IMO it’s a huge slap in the face to the eight foundation clubs, much less the clubs that joined the league after us. AFL wants movement to create stories and ~trade period drama~ and cares little for loyalty.

The upside about finishing lower is that we can only lose one player. The likes of Melbourne, Adelaide, North, and Brisbane can lose up to five which I’m sure they will LOVE (especially the Lions after past expansion raids).

Also, the next draft is mature age only ... except Port get a concession to pick up a gun young player that would otherwise be in next year's draft. Absolutely ridiculous and the club should be venting at the AFL about it.

Although, the comeback will be that our plight is self inflicted after our review findings so too bad, so sad.

Sarcastic Willy Wonka GIF

Where is the outrage from the 14 club presidents that are affected by this?

I love kicking West Coast when they are down more than most but their AFLW team has won 4 games in 3 years. How many did Essendon win in their first season?

Also, the next draft is mature age only ... except Port get a concession to pick up a gun young player that would otherwise be in next year's draft. Absolutely ridiculous and the club should be venting at the AFL about it.

Although, the comeback will be that our plight is self inflicted after our review findings so too bad, so sad.
I mean I did make several comments on this over the journey. I get that people think I'm being chicken little sometimes, but management of a business is something you revisit regularly, albeit to a lesser degree at most of the shorter intervals.

We clearly lack the ability to be sufficiently self-critical at an organisational level. After the last 25 years, absolutely no one can deny that.

I like what we're striving for in terms of our social messaging, but it can be done without rubberbanding back and forth from inflamming debate and burying our head in the sand.

It's getting harder and harder to maintain any sort of enthusiasm for this mickey mouse competition and their ridiculous seat-of-the-pants decisions.

The ones I feel for most are the athletes who have taken the whole thing seriously and most likely made loads of sacrifices along the way, only to have administrations - both at club and league level - let them down.

Guess it's just gonna be a few more years yet before this is finally a "serious" competition.

I mean I did make several comments on this over the journey. I get that people think I'm being chicken little sometimes, but management of a business is something you revisit regularly, albeit to a lesser degree at most of the shorter intervals.

We clearly lack the ability to be sufficiently self-critical at an organisational level. After the last 25 years, absolutely no one can deny that.

I like what we're striving for in terms of our social messaging, but it can be done without rubberbanding back and forth from inflamming debate and burying our head in the sand.

I'm not 100% certain what you are saying here. Yes, we have lacked the ability to be self-critical, but we have shown a willingness to admit mistakes and make changes. I'm just not sure how you are applying this to this current AFLW announcement.

I agree we have our heads in the sand when it comes to expressing disagreement with head office. From the outside we seem to roll over and let ourselves be screwed over. Possibly a little bit of self loathing over past mistakes here.

I'm not sure that we have inflamed debate anywhere since Elliott and his overkill warring efforts.

I'm not 100% certain what you are saying here. Yes, we have lacked the ability to be self-critical, but we have shown a willingness to admit mistakes and make changes. I'm just not sure how you are applying this to this current AFLW announcement.

I agree we have our heads in the sand when it comes to expressing disagreement with head office. From the outside we seem to roll over and let ourselves be screwed over. Possibly a little bit of self loathing over past mistakes here.

I'm not sure that we have inflamed debate anywhere since Elliott and his overkill warring efforts.
I guess my point is that admitting there's a problem is only the first step, and it's one that we've pretended to do for 25 years until now, which leaves me wondering if we've really stopped. Hopefully so!

I guess my point is that admitting there's a problem is only the first step, and it's one that we've pretended to do for 25 years until now, which leaves me wondering if we've really stopped. Hopefully so!

I have faith in this new team. Each change we have had over the past decade has added a layer. Trigg and Bolton added club unity and made us a female friendly club. MLG and Liddle changed the finances. Sayers, Cook and Voss have implemented review findings. We are coming from a long way back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back