Game Day AFLW 2021 general non-pies Games

Remove this Banner Ad

Given how close the Bulldogs came to beating the Saints last week, I was surprised by how heavy favourites Carlton were coming into the match. But it took a very gutsy performance from the Dogs to hold Carlton off with 15-0 (or something like that) inside 50s Carlton's way in the last 10 minutes.

Blackburn is an absolute star.

Just 6 disposals for Vescio (most of which I think came in the first half). When does the media pressure start coming on her?

Dogs probably should have been all over them with their inside 50's and the goals they missed. That one when a player was running right to the goals... and misses. I'm sure she won't be wanting to watch that again.
But they made up for it, by putting on a couple goals in a row.

It was a terrible game from them, from start to finish. They played pretty well against dees last week, but then, they had no structure. All sorts of things was wrong.

Brisbane are on a whole new level though. 2018 form like.

Looks like Crows are getting back to their best. Dominating the GWS

It was a terrible game from them, from start to finish. They played pretty well against dees last week, but then, they had no structure. All sorts of things was wrong.

Brisbane are on a whole new level though. 2018 form like.

Looks like Crows are getting back to their best. Dominating the GWS
It seems like there's three distinct tiers forming. I think we're the best of the 2nd group of teams at the moment and could beat the top teams

Tier 1 - Adelaide, Brisbane, Fremantle, North Melbourne
Tier 2 - Collingwood, Carlton, Melbourne, St Kilda
Tier 3 - Geelong, Gold Coast, GWS, Richmond, Western Bulldogs, West Coast

Edit - Maybe we could be in Tier 1 instead of Brisbane once we see how Brisbane goes when they're not playing Richmond or Gold Coast.

When do they announce the R3 draw?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It seems like there's three distinct tiers forming. I think we're the best of the 2nd group of teams at the moment and could beat the top teams

Edit - Maybe we could be in Tier 1 instead of Brisbane once we see how Brisbane goes when they're not playing Richmond or Gold Coast.

North seems the team to beat,
After raiding our club for players,will never understand that.

North seems the team to beat,
After raiding our club for players,will never understand that.

Hard to know at this stage until we start to see some of those teams above us on the ladder play another team of note. To date, they've beaten:

Brisbane - Richmond, GC Suns
Kangaroos - Geelong, St Kilda
Adelaide - WC Eagles, Giants
Melbourne - GC Suns, Richmond
Fremantle - Giants, WC Eagles
Pies - Blues, Geelong

Based on MKC's tier's:

North playing the Saints and us playing the Blues are the only 2 games that to date set tier 1&2 sides against opponents in those tiers.

Be interesting to see if this weeks draw enables some of those matchups.

Last edited:
Hard to know at this stage until we start to see some of those teams above us on the ladder play another team of note. To date, they've beaten:

Brisbane - Richmond, GC Suns
Kangaroos - Geelong, St Kilda
Adelaide - WC Eagles, Giants
Melbourne - GC Suns, Richmond
Fremantle - Giants, WC Eagles
Pies - Blues, Geelong

Based on MKC's tier's:

North playing the Saints and us playing the Blues are the only 2 games that to date set tier 1&2 sides against opponents in those tiers.

Be interesting to see if this weeks draw enables some of those matchups.

I hope in the future there is no tier system and every club gets a game against the other clubs.

I hope in the future there is no tier system and every club gets a game against the other clubs.

That'd be the perfect scenario. The improving quality of the footy might drive that over time. That and entry fees which enable the AFLW to be more self-sufficient. I think the next broadcast deal and how the AFLW fits into that, if at all, will be interesting to watch.

Those tiers are my own rankings of the teams, not something the AFL is using for fixturing purposes. Sorry for any confusion caused.

Definitely agree that the sooner each team plays each other once the better. You'd be annoyed if you missed out on a top 2 spot based on having a more difficult fixture.

Friday, February 12
Geelong v Western Bulldogs at GMHBA Stadium, 7.10pm AEDT

Saturday, February 13
Greater Western Sydney v Gold Coast at Blacktown International Sportspark, 3.10pm AEDT

St Kilda v Carlton at RSEA Park, 5.10pm AEDT

Melbourne v North Melbourne at Casey Fields, 7.10pm AEDT

Sunday, February 14
Adelaide v Fremantle at Norwood Oval, 12.40pm ACDT

Brisbane v Collingwood at Hickey Park, 2.10pm AEST

Richmond v West Coast at Swinburne Centre, 5.10pm AEDT

Surprised that the AFL has sent us North so soon after they held concerns around either Geelong travelling to Qld or GC to Victoria. Over those 4 days nothing has changed with the Vic / Qlds boarder either. Perhaps there was something they had to work out with the Qlds government, which they couldn't quite get over the line last Thursday? Although like Geelong (R5) it only shifts one of our later fixtured games (R8) forward.

Those tiers are my own rankings of the teams, not something the AFL is using for fixturing purposes. Sorry for any confusion caused.

Definitely agree that the sooner each team plays each other once the better. You'd be annoyed if you missed out on a top 2 spot based on having a more difficult fixture.

No confusion, just using them as a basis for this discussion.

Friday, February 12
Geelong v Western Bulldogs at GMHBA Stadium, 7.10pm AEDT

Saturday, February 13
Greater Western Sydney v Gold Coast at Blacktown International Sportspark, 3.10pm AEDT

St Kilda v Carlton at RSEA Park, 5.10pm AEDT

Melbourne v North Melbourne at Casey Fields, 7.10pm AEDT

Sunday, February 14
Adelaide v Fremantle at Norwood Oval, 12.40pm ACDT

Brisbane v Collingwood at Hickey Park, 2.10pm AEST

Richmond v West Coast at Swinburne Centre, 5.10pm AEDT

That'll start to sort the wheat from the chaff. Three big games in that lot. Bears up there won't be easy.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back